Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

How do u add amp to monsoon system?

I replaced my monsoon speakers with kickers front & sail w/alpines in rear. Sounds good but would like to add 200 watt kicker amp and 10" kicker stealth sub & box I purchased for better sound. I have the box, amp & amp wiring kit, how do I tap into the monsoon wiring for rca's and 12v switch on for amp?

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

There are lots of different brands and versions of these, this is the one i came across first.. It has 4 channels (you would only need two for the one amp) but you could always then add another amp later, or just find a two channel version for now.
    http://www.crutchfield.com/p_142SLC4...4.html?tp=2001

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

oh--and as far as turning amp on/off, I had a unit similar to the one i linked to that actually did that too. PAC makes it. Pretty simple, you just have to send it power and ground it in addition to the speaker connections. You could always just run a turn on wire from a switched ignition source back to the amp that would turn it on/off with the car. Hope this helps!

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Thanks!

Yes it does! Thanks for the info. Not sure if I can trust your advice, since you do own a mustang! Just kidding, LOL. Some guy on z28.com told me about the pac oem 1 and has an old one he is going to sell me. If anyone else is interested, check out Z28.com. I asked the same question there in the stereo section and some guy told me about this pac oem 1 and GM wiring harness that is needed, very helpful included links of pics and where to get one! Thanks again.
    Last edited by nillam1; 04-18-2009 at 11:14 PM. Reason: added more info

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

can you post link of harness? curious what kind of harness this is--assuming it just plugs into speaker connections so you don't have to tap them yourself or what? I've never purchased a wiring harness to accomplish this.

Red
    2002 Camaro Z28

Pac oem 1

http://www.banddirector.cz28.com/photo3.html When you go there scroll down its the 6th pic down. Read above pic it says you need a ADD-GM21C harness to complete. Plugs in behind head unit, looks real easy. I think this is better than splicing into amp wires.
    Last edited by nillam1; 04-20-2009 at 02:24 PM.

08 Mustang GT/CS Blue
    2002 Trans Am WS6 traded

OK--I see now! Yes, that is an excellent solution--taps the signal before the monsoon amp and hopefully therefore you get a less distorted signal. The units i have experience with are designed tap the amplified signal sent from amp to speaker, and are very easy to install and inexpensive, but of course have the major drawback of passing along any distortion originating from the stock amp when the volume on stock head unit is turned up high. Needless to say, I always just replace stock head and don't use stock amp...just what i've always ended up doing to get the sound i want. Good luck with this--seems like a better solution to me--should be happy with it i think!

Thread Information