01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

How do i wire this speaker?

I have a sub it appears
    at the bottom of the box it has 2 little silver things that i put wires into
    what would this be wired to?

Last edited by AfterYou; 08-24-2009 at 04:09 PM.

white
    01 formula

your description is a little vague but ill take a shot at it . i believe you would run some wires to the little silver things connect them securely, find a sutable amplifier maybe suggested by your local audio store ?run wires for power and input from your stereo then connect the output of the amplifier to those wires you hooked to the little silver things in their respective places .i think i covered the basics. have you ever had a sub before? or had freinds with them ?it looks like a decent start to a system,just needs to be hooked up .

01' Firebird Pewter
    98' Trans Am Black

Quote Originally Posted by fieropope View Post
    your description is a little vague but ill take a shot at it . i believe you would run some wires to the little silver things connect them securely, find a sutable amplifier maybe suggested by your local audio store ?run wires for power and input from your stereo then connect the output of the amplifier to those wires you hooked to the little silver things in their respective places .i think i covered the basics. have you ever had a sub before? or had freinds with them ?it looks like a decent start to a system,just needs to be hooked up .
    nope never but my older sister said she will give me her whole MTX system subs amp speakers and everything

white
    01 formula

well it looks like a decent start with what you got. a whole mtx system could be nice also .

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I think fieropope covered it, but I thought I would write it out more clearly.

1st Step - You need a tuner (in-dash receiver) that has RCA outputs. Most aftermarket CD players come with these. Some come with 2 sets, 3 sets, etc. and some even come with RCA's designated for Subwoofer outputs.

2nd Step - You will need an amplifier capable of pushing the speakers. Depending on what model your subs are, there will be specifications to which they need to run. As an example, your subs might be rated at 500 watts RMS. You want to buy an amplifier that matches your subwoofer level. Also, it's a good idea to buy an amplifier that has an EQ and crossover built in.

3rd Step - Once you have the above two, you can hook up your subs. You will need to run RCA cables from the outputs on the back of your receiver to the amplifier. You will also need to hook-up a remote wire from the back of you receiver to your amplifier.

The power feed will be from your car battery back to the amplifier. You will also need to ground the amplifier to the chassis preferably. When you run the RCA cables to the back as well as the battery cable, DO NOT run them along the same side of the car. RCA cables will pick up "noise" through the car battery cable. Run them on opposite sides of the car just to ensure this doesn't happen.

4th Step - Run speaker wires from the amplifier to the subwoofer connections, aka the little silver things.

These are the VERY BASICS of sound system hook-up. There is much more than this. If you have more questions, feel free to ask.

white
    01 formula

good basic write up 35th ,i didnt know how far in depth i should go,didnt know for sure that was he wanted . and really you can run an amp off the stock head and make it sound good.can go into more detail if anyone wants on that

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

good basic write up 35th ,i didnt know how far in depth i should go,didnt know for sure that was he wanted . and really you can run an amp off the stock head and make it sound good.can go into more detail if anyone wants on that
    Correct, but when you use a line output converter (which he will more than likely need using a factory radio) you will not get as near as good of quality sound than you would from an aftermarket CD player. I would only keep a stock head unit if you were worried about maintaining the "stock look" IMO.

white
    01 formula

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    Correct, but when you use a line output converter (which he will more than likely need using a factory radio) you will not get as near as good of quality sound than you would from an aftermarket CD player. I would only keep a stock head unit if you were worried about maintaining the "stock look" IMO.
    on a monsoon system a loc is not needed well a LOC is one way to do it but if you are willing to put some time and thought in to it, any car with the monsoon system can be setup with an amplifier WITHOUT using any converters or filters .simply by finding an output from the stock HU that is un amplified. because the stock monsoon head unit uses an amplifier on many of its channels,many of the channels are at amplifier input specifications IE: 6v max, you can splice one set of input channels before the monsoon amp and use them as input for an aux. amplifier without losing any quality through resistor systems.BUT this is for monsoons only and you are limited by the stock HU, the way i described is the cheapest for those who dont want to change out their HU at the moment. but in reality you are correct 35th to an extent

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

on a monsoon system a loc is not needed well a LOC is one way to do it but if you are willing to put some time and thought in to it, any car with the monsoon system can be setup with an amplifier WITHOUT using any converters or filters .simply by finding an output from the stock HU that is un amplified. because the stock monsoon head unit uses an amplifier on many of its channels,many of the channels are at amplifier input specifications IE: 6v max, you can splice one set of input channels before the monsoon amp and use them as input for an aux. amplifier without losing any quality through resistor systems.BUT this is for monsoons only and you are limited by the stock HU, the way i described is the cheapest for those who dont want to change out their HU at the moment. but in reality you are correct 35th to an extent
    Gotcha. I would have to agree. Can't honestly say I ever looked into the Monsoon system with any great detail. Just speaking in general above. Sounds like a good, inexpensive way to go.

Thread Information