help me put together a system

Im planning to replace all my factory speakers and probably add an amp and deck.

Can someone please tell me what exactly I am looking for. Its for a 2000 Z28 w/ the monsoon.

I am thinking of powering the two side and rear speakers w/ a 4ch amp and power the two fronts with a nice deck. Would this work?

Blue
    2000 Camaro SS

I have a 2000 SS Convertible, so it may be a little different then your setup. I replaced the Head with an Alpine CDA-9851, Amp with an Alpine MRV-F450 5 channel amp. Each channel of the amp powers each speaker including a sub. The speakers are JL Audio and the sub is an 8in Infinity. I have the sub and amp in the trunk (Convertibles have trunks not hatches). I ran new wire for the power to the amp and new speaker wire from the amp to the speakers. You will also have to connect the head to the amp by way of Interconnects. I used Stinger 17' Helix Interconnects. You will also need a connector for the antenna and if you have steering wheel controls, use the PAC SWI-ALP. If you go with a headunit like Alpine, you will need the install kit to fit the Camaro. I got mine from Tweeter. If you plan on getting satelite radio, you probably should do it all at once so you can run all the cables at one time.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Get an alpine head unit. If you buy a new one go for the CDA-9851 or above, but you would get a better sound from a couple year older one that has V-drive such as the CDA-7875 or above. This is because they have a 60Wx4 peak power and 27Wx4 RMS power vs the new ones with 50 peak and 18 rms.

As for speakers, definitely go with Boston Acoustics. get 4 coaxial speakers, like the SX series or above, then get rid of the 4 inch speakers in the back, they are unnecessary.

For a sub, get a box to fit in the side in the back if you have t-tops, if not then make a box for the middle and Throw an MTX sub(s) in it.

For an amp the JL Audio slash series is an excellent amp, but so is the E series by JL for a lot less money.

Good luck
    -Scott

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Do yourself a favor and forget about the rear speakers all together. Get yourself a nice deck, a set of component speakers for the front, a subwoofer (or two) and an amp or amps to power the speakers. This is the type of setup I have and I don't miss having the rear speakers one bit. Even when I demo my setup for people they still ask me what kind of speakers I have in back.

If you simply have to have rear speakers forget about amping them. Run the rears off of the deck alone and the front speakers off of an outboard amplifier.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

NBM
    2000 Vette

Good advice from White Rascal, that is what I did!

Haven't looked back yet!

O7PATRICKO3
    hey names sean.. from jersey.. new to ls1.. but in this case i was just lookin around and realized that not too many people understand.. car audio and what to look for.. the three main subwoofer manufacturers that are excellent and i favor the most in order from best to 3rd best would be: JL audio, audiobahn, and kicker.
    if your looking for interior speakers for ur highs and mids.. i suggest infiniti, and pioneer.
    if your looking for head units.. id go with the pioneer PREMIER... edition head unit.. it has so many controls for your band waves... filter controls.. and is i think 54x4 watt pre-amped output....

i also make custom boxes and enclosers... if anyone needs my services email me

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by O7PATRICKO3
    hey names sean.. from jersey.. new to ls1.. but in this case i was just lookin around and realized that not too many people understand.. car audio and what to look for.. the three main subwoofer manufacturers that are excellent and i favor the most in order from best to 3rd best would be: JL audio, audiobahn, and kicker.
    if your looking for interior speakers for ur highs and mids.. i suggest infiniti, and pioneer.
    if your looking for head units.. id go with the pioneer PREMIER... edition head unit.. it has so many controls for your band waves... filter controls.. and is i think 54x4 watt pre-amped output....

i also make custom boxes and enclosers... if anyone needs my services email me

Whens the last time you used 54 watts peak for each speaker? Maybe if your 99% deaf and dont mind not hearing anything but distortion thats cool...

Im just messin with ya but for real now, a head unit isnt good just by the peak power it puts out, its the RMS watts it puts out per channel. Also, the reason Alpine head units are so much better than pioneer or anythihng else is because of the quality of parts that go into making them. And unlike pioneer, alpine is more about sound quality than controls and features you get for what you spend. And quite frankly, you dont need any more features than an alpine offers because you probably wont be able to tell the difference when you change most of them.

As for speakers, I stand by what I said when i suggested Boston Acoustics. They are the best you can buy without spending thousands of dollars. What I did was put 6.5" in the doors and enlarged the holes in the very far rear to fit 5.25" speakers there. I then got a 50x4 RMS watt @ 4ohms to power the speakers and an amplified sub.

And lastly, the absolute best amp you can buy is Zapco amps, Then its probably between Alpine and JL Audio, and the Boston Acoustics.

O7PATRICKO3

what are you talkin about

dude what are you talkin about...your telling me that im throwin 54 watts to each speaker by having a 54x4 watt head unit when your saying you have a 50x4 RMS out put.. to each speaker.. get ur story straight.. i have a head unit with 54x4 output.. yes you are correct about worrying about the RMS.. but if u read the back of your head unit it will tell u exactly what the RMS output is.. and this is what my RMS output is.. and its not 54 watts to each speaker its all in how you wire it up... if you had 2 jl 12w6 at 4 ohms a piece.. ok.. and wired them parallel.. now this would mean bridging your amp.. that would make it a 2ohm output.. its all in how you wire your speakers man.. and lets get back to who is the better manufacturer.. you can have your opinion but im telling you if u think alpine is better than pioneer PREMIER.. you are crazy.. or if u think boston acoustics is better than jl your just insane..dude you get a system with your stuff.. and ill get one with mine.. and we'll go to a show and enter and see whos puttin out better quality and performance... not bein hostile here man.. but do some research..or better yet actually own some real equipment and see the difference

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Buddy lets not hi-jack this thread but you are fucking retarded. Pioneer is sold at WalMart, and if they are your favorite stereo store than ya u would think they are good. Ask anyone on any car stereo forum and they will say alpine and eclipse are the best, head units only second to yakamichi or w/e that brand is thats the absolute best. And for speakers, JL sucks bro... Boston is the best u can buy for the amount of money the everage consumer wants to buy. If you want to spend more then you can get MB Quartz, or Diamond Audio, but Boston Acoustics Pro and Z-series still commpete easily with those, but only if you spend the $600-$1000 for a set of components for them.

As far as the power goes, the 54x4 your pioneer puts out is PEAK power. That means that when it is turned up ALL THE WAY, which I doubt you will EVER have it, then its putting 54 watts to 4 channels. But if you had 54 peak watts to each channel when the head unit only has 20 or so RMS watts then all you will hear is distortion for about 10 seconds until your JL shit speakers blow on you. However, if you turn it up to the point where is just about to distort, but not yet, that would be using all of the RMS watts. Now take a look at the box for your speakers... It should say something like 150 watts peak and 50 watts RMS. That means that DISTORTED, you can pump them to 150 watts, but undistorted they can hanlde 50 watts RMS put through them.

And when did I say i had a 50x4 RMS watt rating from the head unit? I said that the newer Alpine head units put out 50 PEAK and about 18 RMS, and the older ones put out about 27RMS.

Next time you go to jump on a board and post out of your ass get your facts straight buddy, and just cuz someone at WalMart or BestBuy says Pioneer is gods gift to the world of car stereo that doesnt mean it is. But hey, if you are content in listening to shitty sounding music, then by all means go ahead but don't tell others to.

Thank you
    -Scott

O7PATRICKO3
    Quote Originally Posted by sk8runeg
    Buddy lets not hi-jack this thread but you are fucking retarded. Pioneer is sold at WalMart, and if they are your favorite stereo store than ya u would think they are good. Ask anyone on any car stereo forum and they will say alpine and eclipse are the best, head units only second to yakamichi or w/e that brand is thats the absolute best. And for speakers, JL sucks bro... Boston is the best u can buy for the amount of money the everage consumer wants to buy. If you want to spend more then you can get MB Quartz, or Diamond Audio, but Boston Acoustics Pro and Z-series still commpete easily with those, but only if you spend the $600-$1000 for a set of components for them.

As far as the power goes, the 54x4 your pioneer puts out is PEAK power. That means that when it is turned up ALL THE WAY, which I doubt you will EVER have it, then its putting 54 watts to 4 channels. But if you had 54 peak watts to each channel when the head unit only has 20 or so RMS watts then all you will hear is distortion for about 10 seconds until your JL shit speakers blow on you. However, if you turn it up to the point where is just about to distort, but not yet, that would be using all of the RMS watts. Now take a look at the box for your speakers... It should say something like 150 watts peak and 50 watts RMS. That means that DISTORTED, you can pump them to 150 watts, but undistorted they can hanlde 50 watts RMS put through them.

And when did I say i had a 50x4 RMS watt rating from the head unit? I said that the newer Alpine head units put out 50 PEAK and about 18 RMS, and the older ones put out about 27RMS.

Next time you go to jump on a board and post out of your ass get your facts straight buddy, and just cuz someone at WalMart or BestBuy says Pioneer is gods gift to the world of car stereo that doesnt mean it is. But hey, if you are content in listening to shitty sounding music, then by all means go ahead but don't tell others to.

Thank you
    -Scott
    dude im not even gunna waste my time with your hill billy a$$.. ok so your good with knowing what RMS stands for .. good congrats.. but your only 18.. you dont install systems as a side job.. you have little knowledge of equipment.. you live in your little world with your little B.A. subs.. singing along with your system cranked real low cuz .. uh oh.. WATCH OUT FOR THAT DISTORTION.. get a real system put together and then you wouldnt have to worry about distortion.. you can crank your music as loud as you want.. feel your breath getting taken away with every pound of the sub.. and tweeters still soundin as good on leve 100 as they do on volume 15.. get over it man try somethin new.. and read up then come back to me.. i install this stuff.. i make custom audio and video set ups in peoples car..

and as far as u makin fun of pioneer being sold at walmart.. lol well guess what they install boston acoustics on pimp my ride.. i think thats a little worse..considering.. who puts lcd screens in the bumpers..

thanx
    sean..

and thats all i gotta say man.. done with you.. ur thick

Metallic Navy Blue
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by sk8runeg
    ...Pioneer is sold at WalMart, and if they are your favorite stereo store than ya u would think they are good...JL sucks bro...

...and just cuz someone at WalMart or BestBuy says Pioneer is gods gift to the world of car stereo that doesnt mean it is...
    Well I am enjoying this war you two have going on, but I need to put something out. Pioneer does not suck, the Premier decks are incredible. Who cares if wal mart sells them, I got mine through Crutchfield, and I've seen them at Tweeter as well, they are awesome head units and full of adjustability. And at least one of the BestBuys out here sells Boston Accoustic speakers..so you contradict yourself when you knock pioneer for being sold there...

Another thing, JL doesnt suck either. I've heard Boston Accoustic speakers, and yeah they rule, but they dont rule enough to say JL's suck..NO speakers are that great to say JL's suck..thats just ignorant man. Seriously, don't knock on it if you havnt used it or experienced it. Maybe you have, but can you honestly say that you've heard a system with a high end pioneer deck, and high end JL speakers and subs and it sucked?? I doubt it.

At the same time, tho, I will say that this summer I have full intentions of planting some good Boston Accoustic coaxials in my car, because that part I completely agree with, they are phenomenal speakers, and for the price you pay, cant really beat 'em. I havnt decided on which subs yet, I might stay low and get some MTX road thunders, not sure if I can afford some W7's, does Boston Accoustic make subs? I've never seen any..?

Quote Originally Posted by O7PATRICKO3
    dude what are you talkin about...your telling me that im throwin 54 watts to each speaker by having a 54x4 watt head unit when your saying you have a 50x4 RMS out put.. to each speaker.. get ur story straight.. i have a head unit with 54x4 output.. yes you are correct about worrying about the RMS.. but if u read the back of your head unit it will tell u exactly what the RMS output is.. and this is what my RMS output is.. and its not 54 watts to each speaker its all in how you wire it up... if you had 2 jl 12w6 at 4 ohms a piece.. ok.. and wired them parallel.. now this would mean bridging your amp.. that would make it a 2ohm output.. its all in how you wire your speakers man.. and lets get back to who is the better manufacturer.. you can have your opinion but im telling you if u think alpine is better than pioneer PREMIER.. you are crazy.. or if u think boston acoustics is better than jl your just insane..dude you get a system with your stuff.. and ill get one with mine.. and we'll go to a show and enter and see whos puttin out better quality and performance... not bein hostile here man.. but do some research..or better yet actually own some real equipment and see the difference

There's much better equiqment than both. However, you can have the worst equipment in a great setup and beat the best equipment in a terrible setup.

if you want to see who the best manufacturers/setups are for the year take a look at what was being ran in dbdrags/usac/isac/etc finals...either for sq or spl.
    Last edited by mdh100; 02-07-2006 at 09:49 PM.

O7PATRICKO3
    thank you sketter man.. at least someone has brains.. its not that im tryin to have a war with this kid.. its that like you said somepeople are completely ignorant..and im intitled to my opinion as he is his.. but then he had to attack my side.. and i dont put up with it.. but anyways.. mdh100 your rite too its all about the setup.. but since i put systems together all the time.. i tend to favor what works for me and i put jl, audiobahn, and kickers in.. with a slammin premier series headunit.. and no one ever complains.. to tell you the truth.. a couple of my customers have had there stuff jacked cuz it was no sweet... plus like everyone knows its not cheap so if you cant afford it your either A.) buy less expensive but decent subs or B jack someone who has some good shit.. lol but its all in how you want your system to sound.. some people dont want so much bass and just enough to feel.. and some people want there ear drums poppin and glass shattering.. but if you want some cheaper equipment you can go for the B.A. and have some great sound.. but like i said before.. its all in what you like.. heck some people love sony explode and i think their terrible.. but whatever..

Thread Information