pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Help Installing Capacitor

Hey, can anyone give me info on installing a capacitor without screwing anything up? I have the Amp already hooked up. Thanks.

Midnight Blue
    99' Trans Am

All you have to do is splice into your power and ground wires. You want to run the power and ground wires to the capacitor. Then run the wires to the amp.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Even easier than what easyericvan said... here are some detailed installation directions...

1. Pack up capacitor
    2. Drive back to Wal-mart/Best Buy
    3. Get a refund on that complete waste of money

those damn employees at Best Buy or Circuit City will swear on their mother's graves that capacitors help car audio systems...

if they only knew the half of it.

and no offense, but if your level of car audio expertise prevents you from even installing a capacitor, then I can safely say your system doesn't need it, (actually, no one needs one,) and could merit from "The Big 3," or a bigger/better alternator...

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker
    Even easier than what easyericvan said... here are some detailed installation directions...

1. Pack up capacitor

those damn employees at Best Buy or Circuit City will swear on their mother's graves that capacitors help car audio systems...

and no offense, but if your level of car audio expertise prevents you from even installing a capacitor, then I can safely say your system doesn't need it, (actually, no one needs one,) and could merit from "The Big 3," or a bigger/better alternator...
    Hey,thanks I took that heavy box with 2 tens in it and that worthless amp out and will save a little $ and get an awesome set up DONE BY PROFESSIONALS!!!!!!!

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by easyericvan
    All you have to do is splice into your power and ground wires. You want to run the power and ground wires to the capacitor. Then run the wires to the amp.
    Thanks but I'll be getting the whole system done professionally.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

don't let them con you into getting a capacitor... I'm telling you man, you don't want to use one.

414 RWHP 395 RWTQ
    00 Black Ram Air Trans Am

Car gonna run on banana peels and garbage??

Cool I give up???

What is the supposed purpose of the capacitor in the first place? Noise reduction? Suppress ignition interferance?

And... does anyone know what a capacitor does?

1st post and all but been around too long to remember...

Midnight Blue
    99' Trans Am

A capacitor builds the watts your not using in between bumps and sends it to the amp when it bumps again. They are kind of like a surge protector. They make your system sound a lot cleaner and your alternator will usually last longer. I use a capacitor with my tens and it made a lot of difference, but what do I know I'm a pot head.

Well....

Close but no cookie, not a bad theory unless you are bumping allot I suppose.

Actually, a capacitor is a storage device, it's job is to store voltage for future use. They were used a very long time ago in ignition systems that used points instead of a solid state system, just an example... when the points were open it would store (build) voltage, when the points closed it would release the voltage.

But, it cannot generate voltage therefore it is only going to store as much voltage as is being supplied, sooo in the context of a sound system it is not necessarily going to do anyhting but protect the very high dollar amp from a voltage spike from the voltage supply. Also, it can be considered a voltage conditioner of sorts... supplying a very stable constant source of voltage to the amp.

Just my .02.

And don't be so down on yourself... we all have our vices. Good or bad.

black
    00 denali, 99 camaro ss

well i have 3 12 on my denali and 1 15 all speakers are above 1200 watts. the amp is a power punch 1200 watt. epicenter crossover etc. if i hit the volume up when idle the battery dies out. however with the cap the battery only goes to about 10.5 volts now. i would really recomend it if you have a high wattage system. or if u get irritated by dimming lights. otherwise its useless. ohh also i have another punch powering my voice speakers with the same capacitor. works great.

Sunset Orange Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

1. Pack up capacitor

For once I completely agree...

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Quote Originally Posted by aceperf60le
    Well....

Close but no cookie, not a bad theory unless you are bumping allot I suppose.

Actually, a capacitor is a storage device, it's job is to store voltage for future use. They were used a very long time ago in ignition systems that used points instead of a solid state system, just an example... when the points were open it would store (build) voltage, when the points closed it would release the voltage.

But, it cannot generate voltage therefore it is only going to store as much voltage as is being supplied, sooo in the context of a sound system it is not necessarily going to do anyhting but protect the very high dollar amp from a voltage spike from the voltage supply. Also, it can be considered a voltage conditioner of sorts... supplying a very stable constant source of voltage to the amp.

Just my .02.

And don't be so down on yourself... we all have our vices. Good or bad.

you can't 'store' voltage btw...

all a capacitor does is store energy, which is rated in farads, and they are only good as temporary bandaids... you never ACTUALLY want to use one in your sound system because the capacitor drains in typically less than 1/10th of a second, and takes time/energy to fill back up... also you can't forget the fact that the capacitor isn't creating any more power than you already had, so if you are having dimming/battery problems then you will only be masking them if the capacitor actually affects your system.

think of your battery/alternator as the high-pressure water line going into your house, and think of the crappy wiring (that most of you with caps obviously have,) as a one millimeter hose that that water has to travel through to get to your faucet... all your capacitor is doing is basically like having a VERY small balloon right before the faucet... so yes, you may get more output for a very SHORT period of time, but as soon as you turn on the water for more than 1/10 of a second, the 'balloon' is drained.. doing absolutely no good...

upgrade your wiring, alternator, and battery before you even consider a capacitor.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thank's I'll let you guys know when I get it done thank's for your help!!

you can't 'store' voltage btw...

all a capacitor does is store energy, which is rated in farads, and they are only good as temporary bandaids... you never ACTUALLY want to use one in your sound system because the capacitor drains in typically less than 1/10th of a second, and takes time/energy to fill back up... also you can't forget the fact that the capacitor isn't creating any more power than you already had, so if you are having dimming/battery problems then you will only be masking them if the capacitor actually affects your system.

think of your battery/alternator as the high-pressure water line going into your house, and think of the crappy wiring (that most of you with caps obviously have,) as a one millimeter hose that that water has to travel through to get to your faucet... all your capacitor is doing is basically like having a VERY small balloon right before the faucet... so yes, you may get more output for a very SHORT period of time, but as soon as you turn on the water for more than 1/10 of a second, the 'balloon' is drained.. doing absolutely no good...

upgrade your wiring, alternator, and battery before you even consider a capacitor.
    Very good explanation indeed. I was trying to keep it in simple terms... yer right... it does not store voltage but stores energy.

pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Hey guys got clean simple set up from Cartoys they did a good job,with not alot of weight in the back!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

hrm I didn't realize that CarToys was that wide-spread.... they seem like a really low-scale shop... you like their work?

Thread Information