Pewter
    '02 WS6

Unhappy Help! Bought 67.2i for sail panel...did I make a mistake?

I just got a pair of 62.7i's to replace busted sail panel speaker (just to be sure, it's the one in the back seat, not the front), and I was wondering if this was a bad idea. Should I go ahead and install them in the sail panel (if so, should I use the crossover included with the speakers or just hook it up directly or what?) or should I install them in the front and take the factory speakers from the front and put them in the sail panel? I really need help with this. Thanks.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The speakers in the B-pillars are the factory subwoofers with dual 4ohm voice coils. If you install your new speakers there you will only be able to connect one of the two sets of wires for each speaker. You will also only gets bass from the new speakers since the signal has already been low-passed by the POS Monsoon amp. And if your new speakers are 4ohms you will only get about half as much power as the factory speakers. A higher impedance means less current which means less power.

The door speakers have a single 2ohm voice coil so again you can only hook up one set of the two sets of subwoofer wires
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

It's elementry dear watson!

do your self a favor, put the 62.7i's in your doors, and do what I did for your sail panels:

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36813

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Well shit! Does anyone know of some speakers I can directly replace my sail panel speakers with? Preferably inexpensive. Also, how much do those eu700s run anyway, per pair? I just blew my other sail panel, so I really need to get a couple of speakers for that. Not cool to have no sound coming out where those speakers should be. Oh, and also, just to show how shitty my situation is, I've got a couple 10"s in the back, but both of my 2 amps stopped working.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

oh wow...ok, here's an idea:

replace bad amp so you 10's work again.

put the 627i's in the sails and wire the mid-woofer with the stock "monsoon" sub input. Then wire the highs by tapping into the tweeter line running to the rear deck. that should give you a very VERY full range.

If you just put the stock monsoon subs back in, you're gonna have too much low end with those 10s in the back.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    oh wow...ok, here's an idea:

replace bad amp so you 10's work again.

put the 627i's in the sails and wire the mid-woofer with the stock "monsoon" sub input. Then wire the highs by tapping into the tweeter line running to the rear deck. that should give you a very VERY full range.

If you just put the stock monsoon subs back in, you're gonna have too much low end with those 10s in the back.
    That sounds like a badass idea! I'm psyched that I didn't waste my money.
    So what about wiring? I pulled the stock connector and wires off the old sail speakers, but it's got 4 wires comin out of it so I don't know which two to hook up to the new speakers. Also, the speakers come with a crossover and the manual says do not omit the crossover, or it will damage the speakers, so if I use the crossover, how do I hook up those two wires to everything else? Thanks for your help, I can't wait to get these speakers in.
    Oh, and I'm in the process of getting my amp fixed, but my friend who's workin on it called Audiobahn, and they're bein real douchebags. All we need is about 3 little parts that broke off in a wreck, and they say they can't tell us, and we can't just buy the parts directly from them. They want me to take it to Austin to an authorized dealer so I can pay a grip for a bunch of shit I already know.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

dunno what to say about the cross over as i've never used one. You'll have to refer to the wiring diagrams that are stickied at the top of this section. it's like 3 or 4 pdfs i posted up, curtisy of user Onebaddz.

remember, the tweeter HAS to be tapped from the "highs" in the rear deck b/c the sails hav NO HIGH signal only bass.

good luck. keep us posted.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i don't think you should use the infinity crossover. the stock monsoon amp allready has the x-over's built in.

Look at the sticky about "how to install 62.7i's" at the top of the stereo section.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

I don't even really know what the crossover does, but from what I've read (you said the monsoon amp had crossover built in), the tweeters aren't wired to the monsoon amp, they're wired to the headunit. Either way, I think you're right.
    If I hook the tweet on the infinity to the rear tweeter connection, I think it should sound good, especially when I get my amp fixed for my subs.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I'm kinda confused, if your speakers are wired directly to the headunit, then you should only have one set of wires in to use for each speaker.. If you run the 62.7i's off a aftermarket hu, then you use the infinity crossover that comes with it since it seperates the highs and lows and gives you one input. If you have the monsoon amp and are replacing the sailpanel speakers with the 62.7i's then you don't need to use the infinty crossover(I have the 62.7i's in the sailpanel and doors and didn't need the crossovers). I have a Camaro with only 1 set of wires in the sailpanel, what I heard T/A guys say is to use only one set of wires(the longest ones and plug off the other set). If doing this I suggest a seperate subwoofer, for the lower bass.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-30-2007 at 07:30 AM.

Navy Blue Metallic
    01 SS,TT, SLP, M6

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    The speakers in the B-pillars are the factory subwoofers with dual 4ohm voice coils(B-PILLARS ARE 4 oHMs?). If you install your new speakers there you will only be able to connect one of the two sets of wires for each speaker.(TWO SETS OF WIRES IN THE SAIL PANEL?) You will also only gets bass from the new speakers since the signal has already been low-passed by the POS Monsoon amp. And if your new speakers are 4ohms you will only get about half as much power as the factory speakers. A higher impedance means less current which means less power.

The door speakers have a single 2ohm voice coil so again you can only hook up one set of the two sets of subwoofer wires
    Where to get a good set of replacement mid bass for B-pillars (Sail panels) i have 62.7i kappas = not good bass! any good ideas for under a BUCK (100)

Anybody in SoCal that has a decient audio set up mind meeting up so i can hear my options instead of reading about them?
    Last edited by driving; 01-30-2007 at 07:08 AM. Reason: more info

Black
    02 SS #8850

I don't know about under $100 if you want good bass. If you got a component woofer it would probably sound nice. BTW, these b-pillar speakers are 6.75" speakers right? Also, how big are the speakers in the way back?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

The door and B-pillar woofers are 6-3/4". The hatch speaker is a 4" mid and in a Firebird there is also a 1/2" tweet.

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Alright, so I hooked the infinities up in the sailpanel. They sounded good at first, but now they're either blown, or they just sound like it. I don't see any tears/rips on the speaker, so I hope they're not blown. I'm just gonna go ahead and hook them up in the front. Just so ya know, probably not a good idea for anyone else who's thinkin about hookin them up in the back seat.

Black
    02 SS #8850

Why did you get 62.7i's for the B-pillars? Why didn't you get a component woofer or something that is just for lower frequencies? How did you hook the tweeters up on the 62.7i's?

Pewter
    '02 WS6

I asked a bunch of people and read stuff on here and all I heard about was the infinities. No one mentioned a different speaker for the b-pillars, back seat speakers. What are some good speakers to put in the back seat? I was gonna hook the tweeters up to the tweeter connections in the trunk.

If you know some cheaper speakers that I could put in the back that I wouldn't have to worry about blowing, and do a decent job (I'll have my two 10s workin soon hopefully), that would be great.

Black
    02 SS #8850

Third Thift mentioned a couple ideas above you can do. How are the tweeters on the 62.7i's currently hoooked up?

Pewter
    '02 WS6

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    Third Thift mentioned a couple ideas above you can do. How are the tweeters on the 62.7i's currently hoooked up?
    I don't have them hooked up right now. I was going to do that (splice them into the trunk tweeters), but they sound horrible, so soon I'll be takin them out and maybe putting them in the front if they're not already blown.

Thread Information