Hugger Orange/W stripes
    1999 Z28 M6

Head unit replacement for '99 Z28

I have several LED's out in the stock Monsoon head unit of my '99 Z28. I figure the inevitable will happen and the entire unit will go out so i want to explore my options. First, I don't even know if the Monsoon system uses a separate amplifier or if it is contained in the head unit. Either way, I've already replaced the fronts with 62.7i's and will consider the replacement sub's that TSS mentioned eu700's? too. I do NOT want to change amps or add speaker boxes!!! I am satisfied with the current sound except the sub's could be a bit better, and I want to keep the speaker area stock in appearance.

I uses a Sansa MP3 player and I would like a head unit that will let me use it (I am not going to convert to an iPod). Built in GPS is okay, but not necessary, since I already have a portable one, and DVD would be considered as well. I would like it to take up as much of the stock area as possible (I'm not sure if that is called double DIN), because I feel the more standard size replacements look lost in that area. I'll have it installed, but I want some advice of whether the stock amp is able to be re-used to maintain around 500 watts, since I doubt many aftermarket head units can rival that with an external amp.

I would be looking to stay under $1000 if possible, and even less is better!!!

Can anybody suggest a few models or provide links?

Thanks!

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Any regular din sized unit will fit with a kit. You could do double din but it would need a custom surround to fit. Pioneer makes a din and a half which is what the stock is. Most newer headunits have the ablity to hook up an mp3 player and most will control them too. Anything will work with the stock setup, there is a seperate amp for some of the speakers. With a 1000 dollar limit you have a lot of choices, you just have to decide exactly what you want.

Thread Information