2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Hardwiring the radar detector

So i decided to hardwire my radar in, so i dont have to use the cigarette plug, but its turning out to be a bitch, any help someone could give would be great

Do they still work ? I was given a gift of the BEL PRO RX65 still new in box i think i always had better luck not running with a radar detector I just watch the brake lights in from of me , what type of radar unit do you have , I was thinking of placing mine on ebay and get maybe a good Nav unit or something ?
    Last edited by TA421; 04-05-2008 at 06:40 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

The cops around here are Nazi's. Im not even kidding, we have way too many, they just sit around writing tickets. I cant come in or out of my town without seeing atleast 2 people pulled over. The motorcycle cop sits in the turn lane, in the middle of town, looking at inspection/registration stickers. Its insane, i usually get about a half dozen hits in a 2 mile stretch leaving down.

But yeah, my stuff all works, its a Cobra XRS 9430. I ordered the hardwire kit online. ITs basicaly just the plug, 10ft of flat wire, and an inline fuse. I checked out my wiring diagram, ignition feed is pink, ground is black. got under the dash, theres 8 pink wires.

I used my volt meter to find the hot circuit with the key on, only one pink wire works with the black, but when i touch the leads from the radar to those plugs, it doesnt come on. I have almost no slack in the wires to work with, and under the steering is a bitch of a spot to work in.

I blew my volt meter tryin to figure out if it was the right voltage, i had it on the DC 10V setting, moved it, and boom, just bought the damn thing today.

your voltmeter should have a fuse under a panel in the back of it. Should have one fuse (that should now be blown) and a spare fuse next/near it.. You can replace the blown one with the spare and all should be well again.

you should be able to tie it it to any hot wire ,or just go to the fuse box and run it on the hot side if you want it to go on and off with the car make sure you place it on the control side of the fuse
    Last edited by TA421; 04-06-2008 at 06:39 PM.

Hey there just to let you know place my radar Detector for sale in the General check it out if you need one

Around here alot of cops will give you a ticket for having a detector.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Trans Am WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by blkSS98 View Post
    Around here alot of cops will give you a ticket for having a detector.
    In most states though, they are perfectly legal & the cops can't do shit!

Yes I think only two states they ARE NOT LEGAL !!!!! if you get a ticket for having one go to court and fight the BITCH all a Radar Detector is a RADIO it make sound or music when it recieve a signal Frequency just like you AM FM radio does but as you know a Radar Unit is tuned to a different Frequency

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

Ok, so i got it put in, there wasnt a spare fuse, went to ABC, they didnt have a replacement, so i just bought a new, better one, and a code reader. My check engine light is almost always on, it pisses me off.

Anyway, the voltage at my cigarette lighter was reading between 13.2 and 13.7, this was with the meter set at DCV 20. luckily only 1 of the 8 pink wires was hot, and only 1 black wire existed, at that spot i was getting 13.4, freakin sweet. but as soon as i hooked the radar up to it, it dropped to below 2 and 3, not even enough to turn on the radar, i was getting pissed. it may have something to do with the fact that i was attaching the wires to the volt meter leads, then probing, i dunno, but if i just grounded it to a piece of metal, it jumped back to 13.4

There is a V-shaped bracket under there that got in the way, i took it off. I connected my positive end with this funny little clip i found in the house, you put both wires in it, parallel to each other, and snap it down, it pierces the wires to make the connection, and holds them, pretty nifty. Then i used a spade connector to ground it to the bolt that holds that V bracket on. I ran the wire over to my fuse box, up the pillar, and through the headliner, so my radar sits just to the left of my mirror. its not visible from the front of my car, and you'd have to stick your head in the window to see it.

Thread Information