Silver
    2000 Camaro SS

Front speakers sound bad

Hey was driving my 2000 SS today and noticed the two front speakers started distorting, popping and rattling when there was any bass at all pumping,the left sounded a little worse than the right. The back speakers play fine. Did i blow my front speakers or is there a problem with my amp? The entire system is original.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Probably need new front speakers.

NBM
    1998 Z28

Google Infinity 62.7i that what I use and I love them. Much better than stock and a perfect fit.

Black
    '98 Z28

I'm running Boston Acoustics in the front and love them.
    Last edited by tpilews; 04-19-2010 at 12:42 PM.

2001 3.8 Black - sold
    2000 SS Black M6

I was gonna say, replace em...theyre 10 years old, paper cones, etc, not exactly the highest quality materials....My speakers were a nightmare when i got my car...un-insulated wires, wrong size, held in with drywall screws, etc....I just picked up some Pioneers at Walmart for $35, the fit just fine, and sound good enough for me.

If youre a bit more of an audiophile than me, then Infiniti seems to have the best reputation. I wanna say TSS did a write up on installed them, but that was 2 years ago or so.

Oh and another thing you can do....pop your grille off, put your ear right down to the speaker, and play some music....not too loud, lol. id say turn up the bass so that itll distort at a lower volume. you should be able to tell if the distortion is coming from bad input...(bad amp)....or if its something physically wrong with the speaker. hell, go ahead and pull the speaker out, inspect the cone...i bet itll be damaged.

Keep in mind the rear speakers never move....but your front ones get slammed around everytime you shut your door, and how many thousands of time has that happened in 10 years?
    Last edited by Spikito; 04-19-2010 at 08:16 AM.

3x Black
    2000 Convertible

I looked around for the 62.7i myself and came up dry cause they are an old outdated model replaced by the 62.9i.

As long as your okay with a little cutting and soldering the 62.9i are easy to find and still sound great.

If you need a link to more info here:
    http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109449

NBM
    1998 Z28

onlinrcarstereo has them for $79. If you can Google you can find them. I just found 3 different dealers listing them.

3x Black
    2000 Convertible

Please no one take this as a flame but more along the line of useful information because I understand I have a mere 3 post. BUT I called onlinecarstereo.com direct to verify that they indeed had the 62.7i this last Friday(4-16-2010).

To no surprise when I talked to the sales dept they were very nice...in fact going as far as to call back to the warehouse. THATS when they did inform me that they dont have the 62.7i in stock nor are they going to and any order for the 62.7i will result in them contacting the buyer to inform them that the 62.7i are replaced with the 62.9i. Granted abit for a few more bucks.

FYI just cause a googled site list them as being "for sale" dont mean they have them for sale. So if anyone is going to track this model type down maybe they will want to call ahead to avoid disapointment.

Thread Information