Pewter
    2002 WS6

Front door speakers filtered?

Hey all-

I'm curious if anyone can tell me if the front door speakers in the TAs are crossed over at all... it seems that the stereo or amp might be filtering some of the lows out of them. I just installed a set of Alpine SPR-17LP Coaxials because a friend has a set installed in his '00 Vette that hit hard. I mean his door skins vibrate...

They have super clear highs and mids, but I don't see the speaker working very hard when the stereo is cranked. I've messed around with the EQ a bit in the factory head unit, and even when I fade to the fronts and adjust it, I still dont see them working very hard. I also noticed that the rear seat subs seem to keep working no matter what you do to the fade/balance controls?

I've only upgraded the front door speakers so far, and I'd like to get them hitting like I know they can! What am I missing?

Thanks for the help.

-Eagle

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Your factory fronts are components - did you use only the tweeter wires? Using the woofer wires gives a full signal on Camaros -- on your car the tweeter signals have capacitors in the wiring AT the tweeter in the tweeter signals..

Pewter
    2002 WS6

On the TA's the tweaters and full ranges are two separate speakers. I only removed the 6.5's leaving the tweeters installed and wired in the doors. I just de-soldered the harnesses from the factory speakers, soldered them to the new speakers and put everything back together...

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
    On the TA's the tweaters and full ranges are two separate speakers. I only removed the 6.5's leaving the tweeters installed and wired in the doors. I just de-soldered the harnesses from the factory speakers, soldered them to the new speakers and put everything back together...
    Yea Camaros have 4 wires as well, they're just mounted like coaxials. Our tweeters are filtered by the amp, and yours have fileters at the tweeter since the HU powers yours and doesn't do any filtering. So you think they're crossed and factory speakers don't even get full "bass" response there? Did your factory speakers hit harder as far as bass?

I'm just going to go ahead and assume that they simply want more power. Woofers do take more power to sound optimal. Combine that with the fact that it's of 4 ohm impedance vs. 2 ohms AND that DOES become an issue when sensitivity lacks, and I see those speakers are rated at 87dB. Ideally, you would want more than 90dB when integrating with the monsoon system.

Pewter
    2002 WS6

Then I guess I just have to deal with what I got until I replace the head unit huh...

Thanks for the 411 otherwise!

Thread Information