Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

factory security freaking out

so my factory security likes to go off randomly. you know you push the car lock button on your fob and it honks at you to let you know that the doors are locked and whatnot. well randomly...whenever it feels like it...and frequently...the horn starts going off as though someone has tampered with the car. anyone know what may be going on here?

You can try turning the sensitivity down. If it goes off for no apparent reason just after arming it that's usually a sign the shock sensor is going bad.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by 2001NBMZ28 View Post
    You can try turning the sensitivity down. If it goes off for no apparent reason just after arming it that's usually a sign the shock sensor is going bad.
    so how would i adjust the sensitivity and how much are shock sensors. where is all of this stuff located at?

The alarm shock sensor is on the wheel well where the spare tire is - there's a small white knob to adjust sensitivity - counterclockwise is lower, clockwise is higher. If it's going off right after arming you can disconnect it temporarily and see if it stops, the rest of the system will still work.

Black
    1999 Z/28 M6

aight i'll have to look for that and give it a shot. what happens is that it goes off 99 times out of 100 when i'm not at home. in other words when i have the car at my g/f's house or at work most of the time.

Black
    2001 Camaro z28

When i unlock my doors i have about 5 seconds to put the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off. Is that normal? or is there any way to extend the time before it goes off?

It's normal if you unlock the doors with the key - unlocking it with the remote turns the alarm off.

Blue
    2001 Camaro SS

I would say time for the dealer GM has always had a problem with their security systems especially if you have an aftermarket stereo. It is usually an issue with the BMC

WOW mine started this Crap at 3 am I thought it was kids trying to steal my CDs or change I have in the car. was wondering if there is a fuse I can pull to shut off the alarm and keep my doors locked until I have time to look into this, How much is a New shock sensor ? Do you have to remove anything to get to this sensor ? I think this is the first time It ever went off first time at 3 am then a few hours later about 6 30 am never knew it really had a real alarm LOL but what a time to find out

Red
    2001 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Quote Originally Posted by dpeach View Post
    When i unlock my doors i have about 5 seconds to put the key in the ignition before the alarm goes off. Is that normal? or is there any way to extend the time before it goes off?
    My car would do this too when I first bought it. I didn’t have the key fob either so it was always a race to beat the alarm lol. And I would always lose when I really didn’t want it going off (4am for work).

Anyway, look in the car manual under alarm settings and it will show you all the diff settings you can put it on. Think you remove a fuse and turn the key back or something, it’s in the manual. I turned my whole system off, it was pissing me off!

NBM
    99 TA

i have an aftermarket alarm, and sometimes my factory alarm will go off randomly after i unlock the doors and open the door. even happens if i disable the aftermarket alarm (i only enable it when im leaving it somewhere). It is the most random thing ever.

Thread Information