Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Factory CD Changer

Will the factory 12 disc changer work with a factory cd headunit or only tape head units?

Thanks!

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Some time durring the '99 model year changer controls were added to the factory CD HU. When that cutoff date was I don't know. I know that the CD HU in my '99 T/A had changer controls but there are many that don't.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

if you're looking to get the changer, just pop out your radio real quick... it takes less than two minutes for a first-timer.

along with the main GM wiring harness and the antenna connector, there is a 4-wire harness that plugs in-between the other two... if you have this interface, I think your set.

not sure on how the changer is powered though.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

I have a 2000 T/A with the Monsoon system. I bought a GM 12 disk changer from someone on this board who had wrecked their Z28. The changer installs in the driver side 'pocket' in the rear hatch area. The Monsoon system is prewired (I believe 2000 and up at least, mine was) with a plug on the stereo wiring harness, but it's tucked waaaay up almost near the sail panel. The plug is wrapped with sponge and taped to the harness; just plug the plug into the back of the CD changer - nothing else needs to be done.. I have the single CD headunit and it works perfectly with the changer. You can control the CD changer from either the steering wheel controls or by using the controls on the headunit. If you can find the plug on the wiring harness, you're golden - the CD changer should work fine.

Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

Thanks for the info.

My car is a 99 and came with a 12 disc changer (not working) and a monsoon tape head unit.

I want to buy a single cd head unit and buy a working 12 disc changer, but was unsure if it would work...

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by Fastcar View Post
    If you can find the plug on the wiring harness, you're golden - the CD changer should work fine.
    This isn't necessarily true. The Tape HU & CD HU in a '99 use the same wiring harness. So a '99 with a CD HU will have the changer harness connection but the CD HU itself still may not have changer controls. It wouldn't be economical for GM to have separate wiring harnesses just because one car has changer capabilities and another doesn't.

Red
    1999 WS6 Trans Am

I just bought a cd monsoon headunit from a 98 ta. Hopefully it will have the changer controls. If not I guess i'm SOL.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

it's not really a "monsoon headunit," it's just the standard Delco headunit... nothing 'Monsoon' about it...

Red
    1998 Trans Am / Ram Air

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    it's not really a "monsoon headunit," it's just the standard Delco headunit... nothing 'Monsoon' about it...
    what do you mean?

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal View Post
    This isn't necessarily true. The Tape HU & CD HU in a '99 use the same wiring harness. So a '99 with a CD HU will have the changer harness connection but the CD HU itself still may not have changer controls. It wouldn't be economical for GM to have separate wiring harnesses just because one car has changer capabilities and another doesn't.
    I'm not 100% sure about the 99s 'cuz I have a 2K. If you have a CD headunit (at least 2000 and up), the same buttons on the radio or steering wheel that control the in-dash CD will also control the changer - press once on the CD Play button then the in-dash CD will play. Press twice and the CD changer will play. The 'Seek' button (on the HU or the steering wheel) that switches CD tracks works the same for both units. Press button #4 on the radio or the small button on the lower left of the wheel and the changer will advance to the next disk. If you need a complete list of the controls/functions I'll post a list. Good luck Proroc, I hope that you got the right CD HU.
    Last edited by Fastcar; 06-24-2006 at 10:56 PM.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

Quote Originally Posted by beast master View Post
    what do you mean?
    The only thing that makes the POS Monsoon system a "Monsoon" system is the addition of the POS Monsoon amp. The HU itself may or may not have "Monsoon" stenciled on the front of it but nothing internally is different than a regular factory HU.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

I had the factory tape deck/12disc... the only redeeming feature was the totally inaccurate/random 5-band 'equalizer'...

Thread Information