96TAragtop

Cool Factory Amplifier? Yes? No?

Hello there,

Does anyone know if my car would have a factory amplifier installed? Is it seperate from the head unit itself?

Additionally, I have a convertible, so I do not have the same stereo config as the coupes. I do not have the 4 speakers in the rear of the car. The 6.5" speakers in the back seat that are woofers in the coupes, are fullrange speakers in my TA (as opposed to having sepeates in the rear of the coupe). So I am not sure if anyone whould know if my config would stil have an external amp?

Any guidance would be much appreciated!

~George

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

If your car has a factory amp it will be behind the arm rest on the passenger side in back.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

96TAragtop
    Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    If your car has a factory amp it will be behind the arm rest on the passenger side in back.

Excellent, thanks! Does the inside panel need to come out, or do you get to it from the trunk?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

I have no idea. I've never worked on your car's model year. I doubt that it can be reached from the trunk though. You probably will have to remove the panel to access the amp. If you even have one.

Black
    99 Z28

hold up there man, do you have a 96 TA? If so, that is not where the amp is. If you hvae the bose system, your amp will be at each speaker. Each speaker has a small amp attached to it. If your car is 98 or newer, then it will be in the area behind the arm rest in the back, actually more like behind the spare tire in the back. You have to take out the spare tire and reach up and you'll find it there.

96TAragtop
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse
    hold up there man, do you have a 96 TA? If so, that is not where the amp is. If you hvae the bose system, your amp will be at each speaker. Each speaker has a small amp attached to it. If your car is 98 or newer, then it will be in the area behind the arm rest in the back, actually more like behind the spare tire in the back. You have to take out the spare tire and reach up and you'll find it there.
    Yessir, I have a 96 I don't have a fancy stereo (IE: Boss, Monsoon etc). In fact, it sounds like a bag of smashed buttholes

So there is an amp at each speaker? Good times! That outta be fun. This is all stemming from a short I am getting somewhere. My radio fuse keeps blowing, and Im trying to find the short.

Thanks for the tips gentlemen!

~George

Black
    99 Z28

hahahahhaaaa... good luck man.

Sorry, not laughing at you, it sucks. Anyway, to check for an amp at each speaker, just take out one of the speakers and look at it. If it's got more than just two wires going to it, there's a pretty decent chance that two are signal and two are power (for the amp).

If that's what you have, it's gonna be a whole bunch of fun tracing your short.

96TAragtop
    Quote Originally Posted by DrMilhouse

If that's what you have, it's gonna be a whole bunch of fun tracing your short.
    I'm glad I can be of some amusment!

Thanks for the tips- I'll tear into it tonight!

Thread Information