Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

eu700, 6.5 mid bass driver, elemental designs

I bought 2, eu700 6.5 mid-bass drivers [dual 4ohm] to replace the stock monsoon's in the sail panels from elemental designs. They are kinda "middy" really. Not deep, but i guess i'm just used to the 2x10's and these are no where near that. I was told that it's possible they are under powered. Maybe if i added a 100 or 200w amp w/ x-over it could deepin' them up?

They are about 4" deep and I think they touch the chassis back there, I was told by the installer that's not a problem and the bolts will keep them in place; they have like a 1/16" or 1/8" gap between the bolt rim and the car. Hope that's not effecting the sound? I tried to close the gap with dyna mat too. The foam lip protruded outward so much taht I had to cut the lowest speaker cover clip off. I was happy to see they weren't slapping against the inside of the speaker grills though!

If i add more power to them, i'm gonna have a shop fab me up some metal covers and have them about a 1/4" thick so the driver can jump around and not hit anything.

_diph
    Last edited by third_shift|studios; 03-11-2006 at 06:38 AM.

Custom Car Emblems
    from third_shift|studios
    Pittsburgh Car Detailing & Paint Protection from ts|s detailing
    jaison tortorea

Silver
    98 Trans Am

So how do they sound vs the stock ones?

somehow i think we'll have the same setup in a year or so

just have to get my amp and sub

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by daveb91
    So how do they sound vs the stock ones?
    well, i'll tell you in about a week. I need to drill a hole through the b-pillar suppot beam b/c the eu700's are so thick that the port in the back is butted against the pillar and not getting any air to breath/thump. Once i drill the hole, it should give it more air and they should hit a bit harder. Right now they just sound kinda "middy" unless the volume is really low-then they sound really boomy; prolly b/c what little air is behind them is enough for them to breath at low volumes.

SO! check back later...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

so, i drilled a hole through my b-pillars to help get more air to them. it seemed to work, they are way under powered though....i turn up the volume and the front mids get all scratchy, but the new subs in the sails seem to keep up until the stock amp just gives up...i'm thinkin about adding an amp to them so that the front mids don't have to make up so much low end...

Take a look at, http://www.usamps.com/ the AX Series I'm either going with their MultiChannel Amp to run 4 speakers + a stealth JL Sub, the EU's and Infinity Components, or Vacuum Hybrid for the components and EU's and then find another amp for the stealth JL sub i'm gona put in... I'm into sound quality since I'm a guitarist, and not shaking the bolts loose on the cars around me while I can barely hear the tunes... Still looking for a good HU also with a 6 or 12 disc changer, probably gona go alpine

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

wow, that site was i couldn't see past the homo-purple and yellow colors, man...sorry, you're a sound snob, i'm a web design-snob. I"m thinking to go with E.D.'s amp...i mean, same company, prolly the systems will work well together...only thing is i can't justify $260 on a 100watt amp

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

If im not mistaken, you need 2 ohm speakers to work with the monsoon system. They run more efficiently and dont stress the amps as much.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

the eu700 is a 2 ohm when you wire the dual 4ohm channels right.

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

i dont think so, they either come in 2 or 4 ohm. I may be wrong, but i think thats how it is.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Says on there web site dual 2 or 4 ohm.

black
    2000 Z28 (sold)

yea, thats what you can buy. A 2 ohm speaker or a 4 ohm speaker.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

no you can buy either a dual two-ohm, or a dual four-ohm speaker...

meaning you can have one-ohm, two-ohm, four-ohm, or eight-ohm per speaker

and you wanna run these things in stereo in our cars.

so dual 4 is the way to go normally... and that's how the stock woofers are.

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

well it's come to this:

eu700's + 4 channel amp with front/rear crossovers so that the door mids don't try to keep up with the sail panels.

Elemental Designs makes a 4 channel specifically for this purpose; this is a direct quote from the E.D. Tech i've been chatting with.
    Quote Originally Posted by E.D. Tech
    To wire the 700s, you'll just wire the coils on each in parallel, and then connect each speaker to one of the rear channels, for a two ohm stereo final load. The NINe.4 has gain and crossover(low pass or high pass from 40-240hz, as well as full range) on each pair of channels(front and rear). It also has the ability to play in 'two channel mode', if you ever wanted to use the amp as a large two channel in the future, as well as being able to output 4 independent channels from 2 channels of input.
    NINe.4, RMS Power @ 12.5v : 4 x 65 @4Ohm, 4 x 100 @2Ohm, 2 x 150@4Ohm

it's not a monsterous amp, but it looks pretty inteligent; only $235.00

Yea it's not bad, but this is why it's cheap.. you wound't want to run it with anything but the mids

There's no filters on it, so basically if juce gets on the line from too much volume (in lamens terms) the speakers get fried, efficiency isn't acceptable, you want that up around 100, and without phase control any components you run off it will sound like ass... There are much better cleaner sounding amps out there for a few extra bucks that can make a world of difference in sound quality

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

it has basic filters... just the LPF and HPF... which cannot, obviously, be used at the same time... which sucks, but not many amps DO have that ability... you need a real cross-over for that...

but there's no reason that the nINE.4 would sound like ass with the eu-700s... unless you were pointing out that it can't really power them to their fullest if you use it in 4ch mode...

and maybe you could clarify as to why this amp specifically would fry the speakers... I really don't see anything different than other amps... other than the fact it's A/B instead of D... but I haven't really seen too many D-Class 4chs yet for some reason...

also maybe you could toss in your amp recommendation? cuz I don't think he's purchased it yet, maybe save him some trouble...

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

yeah mad, tell us whats up...and no more purple websites

God fucking damn it! I typed this shit out twice and it crashed... now i'm being smart and doing this in word first so I can copy and paste it...

In a nutshell, the amp is fine for the EU-700s, but when adding components up front to be used with the amp you'll run into a clipping issue. There's no filter on it to stop the DC voltage from going to the speakers, which in the long run will dammage them.

Personally I recommend nothing but the best, US Amps, Butler, JL, Zapco is a great one, you could look at directed, crossfire, hifonics, rockford fosgate... there's a lot out there, just have to really look around

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information