NBM
    2000 Trans Am

Electrical weirdness........

OK – have a couple electrical issues I have been chasing around without much luck

Dash lights/window switches/stereo/hvac/steering wheel controls were not lighting with the lights on when I bought the 2000 TA. Pulled headlight switch and found that the circuit board inside of it was just kind of crumbling away……… replaced the headlight switch and now the steering wheel controls light but nothing else. Have followed the wiring to see if it was disconnected somewhere and what I was able to see looked fine – still gotta follow the rest when I get the time

Also have a problem with the dash gauges not always working – sometimes just the voltage and the oil pressure are working, and the temperature is trying but reading low – when it happens but it does not always do it. Pulled the dash cluster and cleaned up the connections and then it seemed to be fine for a few weeks but it is back now, works about 50% of the time – can start the car and the tach/speedo/gas guage will not be working, turn off the car for a minute or so and then try again and they work?? Running HP Tuners all of the time on the carputer so I do still have gauges Gonna have to pull the cluster again and check the connection…….

Also – occasionally the volts will read less than 13 after the car has warmed up, I have checked and cleaned all of the grounds and power cable connections I could find in the dash area and the engine compartment(including connections to the alternator and the exciter wire), now planning on doing the Big 3(maybe 4) upgrade soon to see if that helps any. Was thinking the battery and/or alternator could be on their way out – but went to local battery shop and both tested OK, still wonder if one or the other is the problem

Anybody have or seen anything similar??

Anybody got wiring schematics of the dash/engine areas????

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

I can email you schematics if you want. If the alternator is reading below 13 volts check it with a voltmeter at the rear terminal to see that it is correct. If it is over 13.4 then the battery is probably a little weak.

Red
    1998, A4, T-TOP, Trans Am

Mine is doing the samething with the voltage drop but it does it after the car is warmed up with the a/c on and I am stopped at a red light. I checked the voltage and it ranges from 11-12 with off and 13-14.2 volts with the car running. I have not figured it out yet. I think it could be either my belt/belt tensioner/the alternator pulley starting to freeze.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Quote Originally Posted by McCool318 View Post
    Mine is doing the samething with the voltage drop but it does it after the car is warmed up with the a/c on and I am stopped at a red light. I checked the voltage and it ranges from 11-12 with off and 13-14.2 volts with the car running. I have not figured it out yet. I think it could be either my belt/belt tensioner/the alternator pulley starting to freeze.
    11-12 with car off is pretty low. Should be 12-12.5 or so. Battery may be on its way out. If you have a weak battery it will do damage to the alternator having to try to keep the battery charged.

NBM
    2000 Trans Am

Replaced the battery and it still has the same issues - had a Walmart battery in there from PO which was at 11.3 volts, found receipt and took it to Walmart they replaced it for free

Now have wiring/terminals on the way to do the Big 3 and also ordered a 160Amp alternator
    2000 NBM TA - Pacesetter Headers, SLP lid/bellow, Granetelli maf, Magnaflow catback, 18" C6 wheels, Eihbach springs, Custom Carputer - 7" TouchScreen, AMD 2.1GHz CPU, 2GB RAM, 500G Hard Drive, DVD RW, GPS, WiFi, HPTuners Pro, 30K+ track media library. Anyone gives me a rev - I give them the Bird

Thread Information