Red
    1998, A4, T-TOP, Trans Am

Electrical Issue

I am having some problems with my 98 LS1 T/A. If I have mine in drive with the brakes on at a light the meter starts to drop. My stereo just clicks off like someone turned the power off to it. Today I started to load test it and the more electrical draw it would drop almost to the orange and black section of the battery gauge. I would let the fans kick on then turn on the stereo, followed by the a/c, then hazards, headlights w/ high beams, put it in gear, hit the brakes and watch it steadily drop. The biggest drop is it being in gear with the brakes applied.

I know it is probably going to either be the alternator or battery, but don't have the money to swap out both right now. Has anyone else had this issue and what did you do to fix?

test the alternator see what the voltage is , if it is putting out 14.5 then you are good to got there and replace the battery or you can bring the battery to the auto parts store and ask them to do a load test might have a bad cell

Red
    1998, A4, T-TOP, Trans Am

So the voltage drop is when the a/c fan kicks on. I drove it yesterday with the a/c off and it never dropped because the fan didn't kick. I drove it today at lunch with the a/c on and it started dropping when I stopped.

As far as the radio cutting out not really to sure there. Today the radio cut out and the windows stop working at the same time which was a first because usually the radio just cuts out and the antenna goes down. I am currently using an aftermarket head unit but it also was doing it when the stock one was in. Anyone else have this issue with the radio?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

First you need to fix the voltage drop issue. It is either a bad alternator or a weak battery.

QuickSilverMetallic
    2005 GTO M6

I just spent $653 at a dealership in Az cause they said my alternator was bad. I was on a road trip and none of the parts stores had any in stock. It was putting out right under 13 volts and only 48 amps. It really dropped down when the a/c fan kicked in. The new alternator and a little wiring repair and it stays above 13 volts now. Also check your belt, if its old and loose, it could be slipping when the extra load is on.

Thread Information