Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DRL Woes!

blue
    1999 TransAm

DRL Woes!

well, i know this has been debated numerous times,... but i'm trying to see if there's a concenus yet on the best way to "fix" the DRL burn-out problem...

i've replaced numerous bulbs like everyone else, and now it appears one of my DRL socket is bad (the bulb burnt-up, melted some of the plastic stem, leaving a bit of a charred mess in the socket). my DRL lens/housing is busted up good - lots of cracks, looks like hell!

so here's what i've read about DRLs - anyone have pros/cons to this?

1. some folks say the problem is water collecting in the housing: they drill holes in the bottom of the housing.
    2. some folks say the problem is excessive heat generated by the bulb, w/ no ventilation. how to fix this w/out going to an LED fixture?
    3. buying new housing - are new ones made better, to address (1) and/or (2)?
    4. replacing the socket - i've read on here that you can remove the wires from the base of the old socket and afix to the base of the new one (meaning no cutting/splicing of the wires upstream?).
    5. switch to LED DRLs - but from what i've read these are largely unproven, and given the cost don't know if worth it..?

so, how are we fixing these problems nowadays?

Blown, Stroked, & Sprayed

Black
    383 Procharged & N20 Vert

I drilled my housing.

Black
    99 WS.6 - Modified

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Blown Vert View Post
    I drilled my housing.
    +1.

blue
    1999 TransAm

has drilling the housing stopped the burn-ups? i wonder if it's lack of ventilation, ...a heat dissipation problem as opposed to a moisture drainage problem?

Red
    2002 WS6 TransAm

i had the same problem, the filament bulbs put off so much heat, they melt the top of the housings, therefore allowing water to get inside and blowing the bulb and ruining the socket. I got 2 new housings, new sockets, and (2) amber LED bulbs, and replaced the flashers to work with the LEDs. No problems since, and the housings still look brand new.

blue
    1999 TransAm

yeah, and if understand correctly the housings are expensive, ..i'd hate to spend the money w/out solving the dang problem... my aprehension w/ LED is multiple things: cost, compatibility, ease of install (true plug-n-play?), etc.

aren't the DRL bulbs dual filament?

Red
    2002 WS6 TransAm

I got the set of housings off ebay for around 25-30 bucks, and the LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com were plug and play with no issues. No further housing melting and have had zero moisture in the housings. I was simply stating what I did to solve the same problem you are having. Imo, it is cheaper than having to keep buying bulbs and damaging the sockets in the long run.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

LEDs here no problems either. got my housings from ebay for about $35 each but mine were crack and looked awful. I got my LEDs from V-LEDS.com

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by YellowTA View Post
    I got the set of housings off ebay for around 25-30 bucks, and the LED bulbs from superbrightleds.com were plug and play with no issues. No further housing melting and have had zero moisture in the housings. I was simply stating what I did to solve the same problem you are having. Imo, it is cheaper than having to keep buying bulbs and damaging the sockets in the long run.
    did you have to change your flasher? other than that, plug-n-play? curious how long you've had the LED's running?

blue
    1999 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by JayTA98 View Post
    LEDs here no problems either. got my housings from ebay for about $35 each but mine were crack and looked awful. I got my LEDs from V-LEDS.com
    i remember you had a thread about these - but i think you had some issues in the beginning?, ..or maybe it was the color of the light that was strange? how are they holding up?

Black
    2000 Trans Am

You can get both of the housings from AM Auto Parts for $68.40.

Here's video of the switch backs:

2000 T/A-DMH Cutout, SLP Cold Air kit, FTRA/SLP Upgrade, SLP Bilstein, LT1 Eibach ProKit, Kuhmo PA31 Tires ,SLP Fan Switch, UMI Double Adj PHB w/ Roto-Joints, UMI LCARB, Strano 35/22mm Sway Bars , Magnecor KV85 Wires, Hurst Shifter, Lou's Short Stick.

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by BadTA00 View Post
    You can get both of the housings from AM Auto Parts for $68.40.

Here's video of the switch backs:

Thats my buddy that recommend me the LEDs from V-LEDS.com. I have the same and no issues so far.

Pewter Metallic
    2000 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Thats my buddy that recommend me the LEDs from V-LEDS.com. I have the same and no issues so far.
    what are the bulb numbers on the LEDs? i been wanting to upgrade all my stock bubs to LEDs

blue
    1999 TransAm

that's strange how the color is different when the headlights are on... at least it blinks white-orange-white-orange (headlights) on, because if it was white-off-white-off-white, ..you would hardly be able to see it!

Mean Black
    1998 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    i remember you had a thread about these - but i think you had some issues in the beginning?, ..or maybe it was the color of the light that was strange? how are they holding up?
    No probelm with the bulbs at all. They are plug and play. 3157 style bulb. I had issues with cheaper bulbs that I bought from ebay. Those were not bright at all. The ones I have from V-LEDs had hold up great. No heat or issues. My buddy had them 3 more months than me and no issues either. Here is the thread i did about them.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...from-VLEDS.com

blue
    1999 TransAm

No probelm with the bulbs at all. They are plug and play. 3157 style bulb. I had issues with cheaper bulbs that I bought from ebay. Those were not bright at all. The ones I have from V-LEDs had hold up great. No heat or issues. My buddy had them 3 more months than me and no issues either. Here is the thread i did about them.

http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread...from-VLEDS.com
    thanks jay!
    good to hear they are holding up so far.. . i'll revisit your thread about them, ...i like "plug-in-play", ..i'm starting to think the LED solution might be a little pricey up front, but if the LED element life is long (most LEDs are, but IDK about in an automotive environment) it might be the best approach.. I do realize that LEDs certainly are the future in lighting!

blue
    1999 TransAm

ok, i installed the new DRL housing, ...there's a black rubber cap that covers a hole in the back wall of it.. i took the cap off (thinking this would allow it to ventilate in case of excessive heat buildup... did i do the right thing, or are we supposed to keep that cap on?

Quick Silver
    2002 Z06

We have had great luck with just replacing the factory gasket with an over sized gasket that we sell.

If your housing is cracked and messed up it may not help but my 98 with over 200k on the clock has no issues after I replaced the gaskets.

Slow Passenger Window - Want Passenger Express Down - Tired of Replacing DayTime Running Light Bulbs

Camaro Owners Click Here
    Firebird Owners Click Here

Need instructions to replace your F-Body window motor?
    www.AutoTrix.net

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by wileyCoyote View Post
    ok, i installed the new DRL housing, ...there's a black rubber cap that covers a hole in the back wall of it.. i took the cap off (thinking this would allow it to ventilate in case of excessive heat buildup... did i do the right thing, or are we supposed to keep that cap on?
    That cap is to prevent water from enter the condensation vent. It's not completely sealed with the cap on.

Sent from my Motorola ATRIX 4G on Tapatalk
    Last edited by BadTA00; 09-25-2011 at 06:20 AM.

blue
    1999 TransAm

so i should put the cap back on?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information