White
    1999 SS

Driver Window Wont Roll-up!

My car has been sitting for a few weeks now(blew a rod bearing). Anyhow I went out to the garage to roll up the windows and the drivers wont go up. I dont hear a sound or anything. It was working fine before she blew, any suggestions? Do you think the window motor is shot? Thanks for your help/ input.

White
    1999 SS

well i just got a window switch for $15 bucks, hopefully it does the trick! If not, new motor I guess.

White
    1999 SS

I can hear the relay clicking, so the switch is working, ill check the wires and if thats not it new motor I guess, any suggestions?

Silver
    2000 Camaro Z28

Try taking the door panel off and getting something hard, like a large wrench or something, and try mildly hitting on the window motor. If it works after you hit it, its the motor. Just like a starter, if it dont work, hit it

You sure you have enough power everything else is working? The motors usually give signs they are going by slowing down or only moving paritially. I just replaced mine last weekend with one from a local auto parts store for $70. Works great now and the job didn't take long at all maybe 1.5hrs in total.

Used to be dark green
    Used to be 96 Firebird

^^^yes the window will start to slow down tremendously when it is starting to die. you can pick a used one up at the junk yard for around 20-30. the only thing bad about that is you dont know how long its going to last

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by MnLS1 View Post
    My car has been sitting for a few weeks now(blew a rod bearing). Anyhow I went out to the garage to roll up the windows and the drivers wont go up. I dont hear a sound or anything. It was working fine before she blew, any suggestions? Do you think the window motor is shot? Thanks for your help/ input.
    Go to SHBOX.COM, all the instructions for access the window motor is there in picture form. Try this first. Follow the instructions to remove the door panel. Then when you can access with window regulator (that is what its called), use a degresser (carb cleaner) to remove the old grease and dirt on the tracks. Spray the cleaner on the rags and clean away.

After you are done, apply white grease on the tracks, rollers and motor gears. Now, hock back up the motor an switch, give it a try. If the motor is gone (its all due to a very metal 'fuse' built into the motor, but that you can google on for the story on how to fix it) get a new motor. You can remove the regulator to then replace the motor. The Shbox instructions has you replace the motor without removing the regulator.

What ever you do, make sure the window does not fall down. I used two large spring clamps plus duck tapped the glass to the window felt (rubber).

Plan on a nice sunny morning or afternoon for the job, take your time.

One more thing, be very gental with pulling up the door switch plate, the two clips are going to be staborn. They are located in the center of the short sides of the plat. Use a very thin screw driver to gental push in the clip's finger. Start with the lower end clip, once you have that side out, the whole thing comes up.

Good luck!

Red
    2002 Trans Am WS6

i need to replace my window motor, is it a pain? can i get by with just a standard tool set? thanks

Red
    1995 Trans Am 6 Speed

Quote Originally Posted by beer View Post
    i need to replace my window motor, is it a pain? can i get by with just a standard tool set? thanks
    Here is the Website that has the step by step instructions. Cut the address and paste it into your Browser address bar:

http://shbox.com/page/windowmotor.html

A few points:

1: I replaced the regulator and motor togeter, any GM dealer can order the part for you. This one its one assembly.

2: ALWAYS clean off the old grease and durt from the track and gear set. I used brake cleaner on a rag, spray where I could not get.

3: If reusing the old regulator, the clean all rollers with brake cleaner including the ball and shocket. The rollers pop off, clean inside the shocket.

4: Use freash white grease on the tracks and gears.

5: Be mindful the regulator bolts have some play designed in them to adjust the window.

5: My 1995 Trans Am came with a little orange light that shines on the door pull switches. Now is the time to replace it. You can still get them from GM. If the dealer needs to order them, you have to take a box (12). They are cheap $ 5 or $ 6 for the box.

6: Above all, go slow. Take your time, a nice sunny day helps. Save the beer for afterwards!

7: When removing the cover plate for the switches, use an very thin screw driver to press in on the clip located at the 12 (facing front of car) and 6 O'Clock position (facing the back of car.) The clip is in the form of a V. What you want to push in the leg of the V so it clears the door pull. Once you have one end pull up, the plate will come out. Go slow here as the plastic track that holds the clamp is molded into the plate, screw up the track and the clip will not hold the plate down. You can get a new plate from GM still for about $15.

8: Now would be a good time to replace the door lock switch and the driver's widow switch. The switches are about $ 12 each. They go as the plastic rocker point takes a lot of strees then bam is broken. Save a headace and change them out now.

9: Yes, you can do this with ordinary tools an a matric socket set.

10: Did I mention save the beer for cleaning up?

1968 Cutlass 350 auto red
    2000 z-28 6 spd. White

I changed out the motor on my car 5 times before I figured out the problem. The end of the motor isn't waterproof so it gets water in it when it rains and shorts out. When yout put the new motor in, just put some aquaseal (black tarry paste like what holds the plastic seal on the door) and lubricate. I got my motor at autozone for $40 and it has a lifetime warranty.

Thread Information