Medium Spiral Gray Met
    2004 Corvette

Double Din in Vette ?

Have an 04 C5 Vette with stock stereo. Had the same unit in a Chev Lumina and it sounded better there. Anyway, am interested in replacing it with a GPS/Stereo unit like the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT. Does anyone have info on this? Will it work? And how can a Corvette have such a crappy stereo?

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by sdderr View Post
    Have an 04 C5 Vette with stock stereo. Had the same unit in a Chev Lumina and it sounded better there. Anyway, am interested in replacing it with a GPS/Stereo unit like the Pioneer AVIC-F700BT. Does anyone have info on this? Will it work? And how can a Corvette have such a crappy stereo?
    I dont think I've ever had a stock head unit from GM that was worth a crap!LOL. I cant see why you could'nt go with a double din though. Maybe custom panel cover or a pop out din. Someone in another thread as a posted technique for f-bodies you might checkout for an idea. I dunno.

On a seperate note Luminas have good interior acustics (spell?). I've got a simple Sony head unit, some kenwood custom fits in the dash, and some 3-way 800 watt rms. boss 6/9s rear, with a 100 watt amp in mine. Sounds like a full system. Sorry I could'nt help more..
    :\Users\Steven\Pictures\d6ftg5nh.gif

Suggestion: If you are particularly irritated by another member's posting habits and are constantly fighting the urge to flame them, you can click on that person's profile, and select "Add to ignore list." This will make that person's posts invisible to you.

1966 Corvette Coupe

I considered the same thing when i had my vette... It has been done severa times on f bodies and honestly... WAY TOO MUCH HASSLE FOR ME!!!!!!!!!!!

If it were me I would spend the extra money on a surround that had the corvette backlit text on it (some one help me out on where to get those) and drop in a DIN... Something like the AVX77 ( http://www.crutchfield.com/p_105KDAV...77.html?tp=448 )... I know i know its a tiny screen, but you could always put another monitor elsewhere... How often are you going to play a DVD in your car?

That isn't true... If it were me i would get a seperate GPS and a nice CD only head unit for about $100 less that the combined unit and then i could take the GPS from car to car...

p.s. The corvette has the worst radio i have ever seen in a car... One thing to be carefull about is (if i remeber correctly) it uses an external amp. I belive this amp (and speakers of course) are 2 ohm... So you either have to eliminate the amp and replace all the speakers or do something to allow the head unit to use the shitty amp...

-me
    Last edited by predator; 04-05-2009 at 03:32 PM.

Medium Spiral Gray Met
    2004 Corvette

Thanks for the info. I'd have to find a surround like you suggest, predator, 'cuz the usual black surrounds always look like crap. And it sounds like the entire system should be scrapped if I want any good sounds, right? Maybe I should just leave the radio off and listen to the exhaust & engine!

ʢ ൧ ൨ ൩ ൪ ൫ ൬ ൭ ൮Ր Ց Ւ Փ Smittro's Avatar

White
    2008 Hummer H3

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by sdderr View Post
    Thanks for the info. I'd have to find a surround like you suggest, predator, 'cuz the usual black surrounds always look like crap. And it sounds like the entire system should be scrapped if I want any good sounds, right? Maybe I should just leave the radio off and listen to the exhaust & engine!
    Yeah it's just me but I would'nt use any of the stock stuff on a new sys.
    I'd just start with all new set up. Good luck!

red
    2001 trans am

hey i think doubledmods.com sells the double din bezel for your car. thats where i got mine for my 01 trans am

White
    1998 Trans Am

I like that site. Now when i sell my trailblazer i can pull the eclipse dvd/nav out and put it in my car.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Red
    99 Pontiac WS.6 Trans Am

This website has some bezels'. I found this website about a month ago but I already bought a fold out DVD player.... they make them for Trans Am's and Camaro's too

http://www.doubledmods.com/category....2?categoryId=2
    Last edited by 99WS6MAN; 04-18-2009 at 09:09 PM.
    99 WS6 Trans AM
    Hurst Shifter
    Aftermarket Throttle Body
    KN Air Filter
    Strut Tower Brace
    Z06 Rims

Medium Spiral Gray Met
    2004 Corvette

Thanks for the info. Somewhere else someone had listed doublemods.com. Now my question is, will a double din fit in the dash? Local car stereo guy said this is a din-and-a-half opening, so even if the bezel is big enough, will the radio box itself fit? doublemods sells the complete outfits (bezel and radio, etc.) so Imathinkin the hu should fit.

white
    01 formula

for a nice surround

i found this site when i did the system in my fiero heres a link to a nice backlit surround if you want just an aftermarket huhttp://maptechenterprises.netfirms.c...87bf842e968c79

1966 Corvette Coupe

that is the one i spoke of earlier... thank you for posting link...

-me

white
    01 formula

no problem predator

Thread Information