Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Disc changer

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

Disc changer

Does anyone know where i can find the 10 disc changer that was an option. Mine has been busted since i got it and i was hoping just to swap one out. If so does anyone know what they run and if its worth the price?

Light Pewter Metalic
    2002 Z28 Camaro

I snagged one off of ebay this weekend for $94 shipped. I'm hoping it will work because some listings were for 6 discs and some for 12. I've also heard rumors that they don't work with a CD player in the head unit. So I guess ebay would be a good starting point.

I've also found a few on Craigslist.com but they were too far to drive there. You might also check your local F body club if you have one or sites like this one where there is a "parts wanted" section.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1999 Trans Am

thanks for the info

GROUND KONTROL C.O. dneemorelos's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Quote Originally Posted by Bassplayer92 View Post
    I snagged one off of ebay this weekend for $94 shipped. I'm hoping it will work because some listings were for 6 discs and some for 12. I've also heard rumors that they don't work with a CD player in the head unit. So I guess ebay would be a good starting point.

I've also found a few on Craigslist.com but they were too far to drive there. You might also check your local F body club if you have one or sites like this one where there is a "parts wanted" section.
    I have a 12 cd but I haven't messed wit it yet. It doesn't work with the head unit?? What does it need??

Light Pewter Metalic
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by dneemorelos View Post
    I have a 12 cd but I haven't messed wit it yet. It doesn't work with the head unit?? What does it need??
    I can't confirm if it will work or not. I've just read a few posts on different boards that with the stock dash unit with CD a changer didn't work, but dash units with cassette players had no problem.

The changer I got from ebay was listed as a "1998-2002 Factory Camaro/ 2000-2004 Corvette 10 Disc cd changer". From the pictures it was made by Delco Electronics in 1997 and has a model number of 16199553 which is what I've read as the compatible model number for camaros.

It should be waiting for me when I get home tonight, so I will plug it in and test it out and post back here what I find out.

Light Pewter Metalic
    2002 Z28 Camaro

Ok, here's an update on my changer. First of all the auction listing was wrong. It's actually a 12 disc changer instead of 10.

The first thing I did was hook it up and put some discs in to see if it worked, and it worked fine. Just press the CD/aux button and it finds the disc. So whatever post I saw about the changer not working with a CD head unit was wrong.

Now I just have to figure how to mount it in there.

GROUND KONTROL C.O. dneemorelos's Avatar

PEWTER
    2002 Camaro Super Sport

Ok, here's an update on my changer. First of all the auction listing was wrong. It's actually a 12 disc changer instead of 10.

The first thing I did was hook it up and put some discs in to see if it worked, and it worked fine. Just press the CD/aux button and it finds the disc. So whatever post I saw about the changer not working with a CD head unit was wrong.

Now I just have to figure how to mount it in there.
    Oh ok, I will try that when I hop in the ss next time. thanx.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

I have heard that some early 1998 F-bodies head unit would not control the 12 disc changer. I bought mine from a junkyard ($125), found the stock connector in the LR hatch area, plugged it in and it has worked no problem now for 3.5 years. People can say what they want to about the factory stuff in our cars, but since I've added that and my 2x12" subs, I don't want any more. I love how I can get to the EQ without going thru a sub-menu, have a real round volume control and my steering wheel controls. Almost everyone compliments the clear loud sound. I know I won't win any contests where people show off their stuff, but I don't have $3k or more invested either.

White
    2001 Z28

hi does anyone has an idea on what could be wrong if a cant get my cd changer to work, press aux mode and nothing happens bought another one of a ws6 and still nothing both of them move the cd's but cant get in aux mode; only plays cd's in the head unit.

dont you have the cd button ? or press #5

White
    2001 Z28

yea it only work when i have a cd in the head unit not the cd changer

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I have heard that some early 1998 F-bodies head unit would not control the 12 disc changer. I bought mine from a junkyard ($125), found the stock connector in the LR hatch area, plugged it in and it has worked no problem now for 3.5 years. People can say what they want to about the factory stuff in our cars, but since I've added that and my 2x12" subs, I don't want any more. I love how I can get to the EQ without going thru a sub-menu, have a real round volume control and my steering wheel controls. Almost everyone compliments the clear loud sound. I know I won't win any contests where people show off their stuff, but I don't have $3k or more invested either.
    It will work. When my wifes 97 Z was totalled, it had the cassette head unit, and her new car (a 2000 SS we replaced it with) had aftermarket crap in there.

I ripped it all out, then installed the head unit from her 97 and bought a 12 dics changer off ebay (hers was smashed in the trunk from the rearend collision)
    It all works just fine.

I can't confirm if it will work or not. I've just read a few posts on different boards that with the stock dash unit with CD a changer didn't work, but dash units with cassette players had no problem.

The changer I got from ebay was listed as a "1998-2002 Factory Camaro/ 2000-2004 Corvette 10 Disc cd changer". From the pictures it was made by Delco Electronics in 1997 and has a model number of 16199553 which is what I've read as the compatible model number for camaros.

It should be waiting for me when I get home tonight, so I will plug it in and test it out and post back here what I find out.
    The 12 disc CD changer will work with the CD head unit just fine.

As a matter of fact I have 2 4th gens,,,one with the cassette head unit and one with the CD head unit.
    Both have the 12 disc changers,,,,,They work as intended with steering wheel controls and all.

Quote Originally Posted by victor111262 View Post
    yea it only work when i have a cd in the head unit not the cd changer
    You may have to pull the head unit and make sure the smaller weather connector is plugged into the back of the radio. It comes from the driver side and is basically the harness that runs the length of the car for the 12 disc changer.
    When I added a 12 disc changer to mine it was basically plug and play.

White
    2001 Z28

aight man ill chek that out today thank

Let me know what ya find. Should be 2 wire harness plugs in the head unit. the smallest one controls the changer. If thats plugged in and you still aren't getting any power to the changer then there may be a break in that harness somewhere. Hope that helps.

hmmm.. For me. If I need something I always go for ebay. If they don't have it then craiglist.

White
    2001 Z28

yea everything is hook up i guess i just need a new head unit i'm installing one 2morrow.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    The 12 disc CD changer will work with the CD head unit just fine.

As a matter of fact I have 2 4th gens,,,one with the cassette head unit and one with the CD head unit.
    Both have the 12 disc changers,,,,,They work as intended with steering wheel controls and all.
    I my steering wheel controls, especially the mute when I have the radio on.

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    I my steering wheel controls, especially the mute when I have the radio on.
    Ya I kinda thought they were nice too. I never could understand why people want to install these aftermarket head units and render the steering wheel controls useless

Thats one reason I ripped the aftermarket crap out when I bought my wifes most recent 4th gen. Also had a boom box shoved in the back where the 12 disc changer is supposed to be,,,so that all had to go. And to top it off a large by huge amp mounted right square in the middle of the back deck behind the rear seat. Practically ruins the car for carrying anything like groceries and such.

$2,000 worth of stereo equipment went by by
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 01-14-2009 at 08:34 AM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information