Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: custom boxes?

black
    99 camaro ss

custom boxes?

who all has custom made their own box? i was also wondering how hard it was to fiberglass? i have never fiberglessed before so i was wondering how hard it was. does any one have pics of their fiberglass boxes?

black
    99 camaro ss

how hard is it to fiberglass?

does any one have pics of their fiberglass sub boxes

SILVER
    2004 CTS-V

I have made a couple out of particle board, but not fiberglass. Its not that hard you just gotta know what air space you need sealed or ported. I would recommend using particle board.

black
    99 camaro ss

yea i am thinking about making a sub box out of fiberglass. do you not realize that you just put on several layers so its strong. there are several people out there with fiberglass boxes i was just wondering if anyone her had one. alot of show cars have fiberglass boxes so they curve. i was just wondering if some average people had one or made one.

black
    99 camaro ss

yes i know it has a base of MDF. and then cloth is layed over and FG. then another layer. and then body filler. thats what i meant by a FG box!

black
    99 camaro ss

i know that it is not completly fiberglass

it has MDF as a skelton so to say or a base structure.

then they fiberglas the rest to get the shape.

i have the basic consept but i wanted to see some boxes.

and i wanted to know how hard it is to fiberglass

pewter
    2001 firebird t/a

I'm also building fiberglass sub boxes for my bird i have never used fiberglass before but i have a friend helping me that has its not that hard if u just take your time.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

I've seen it done several times. I've also seen several people ruin their interior. That stuff is messy, be careful. They actually sound good if sized well with the speaker to be used...

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Here's a pretty good description from thirdgen:

A fiberglass, constructed enclosure - A box, made from fiberglass. Same concept, different construction techniques.
    Pros : Weight. Don't kid yourself, a box and the subs are still heavy, but the size to weight ratio is better with fiberglass (unless you make some psycho thick walls). Much less measuring and math. It forms to the shape of the trunk (or whatever). Strong (but not as strong as wood). The shaping and textures add to the rigidity of the box (which is good).
    Cons : Kinda messy, might make your car smell for a couple days (but nothing permanent, and not really a bad smell). Takes forever to build. Harder to get the hang of than working with wood. Um, don't get any on the paint. Expensive. Be prepared to spend over $100 on materials for a trunk-sized box.

It's actually fairly popular, check these out:
    http://search.ebay.com/search/search...&fsop=1&fsoo=1

black
    99 trans am

its not hard at all, i made one for my ta back in july. First one i have ever done. it looks pretty good. ill post a pick up if ya want.

black
    99 camaro ss

Quote Originally Posted by 99trans View Post
    its not hard at all, i made one for my ta back in july. First one i have ever done. it looks pretty good. ill post a pick up if ya want.
    yea that would be great. im tryin to get ideas for mine so pics would help alot.

black
    99 trans am

the first two are just after i put bondo on the fiberglass to smooth everything out.

these two are just after i finished carpeting my box and seeing what it looked like when i was done.

It sounds really good, hits hard, and looks good IMO. many people ask if i have trouble seeing out the rear view, but i dont. the box comes up just to where my wing does, so no visual issues.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by brock417 View Post
    who all has custom made their own box? i was also wondering how hard it was to fiberglass? i have never fiberglessed before so i was wondering how hard it was. does any one have pics of their fiberglass boxes?
    My point was that these links answer some of the questions this thread was started to ask.

weberje
    I am about to upgrade my entire stereo system to include 2 kicker comp-vr 12" subs. I am putting them in the hatch vise the trunk well, 'cause I still want the use of my T-top storage. I am going to remove the panels/speakers directly behind the backseat and place the subs on either side and on their edge facing the center console. I'm using the space where the panels/spkrs where to build my two boxes out of MDF. Then, I will fiberglass panels of that. But, my sounds quality will come from the MDF boxes. The fiberglass is for cosmetics (for my plans).
    But to give you a tip about glass: I'm using those spkr panels as a template by covering them with plastics wrap (from the kitchen) and setting the fiberglass over that- which is a quick way to work your interior panels. I've had to fabricate (carbon fiber) aircraft fairings this way when a set was blown off the flight deck (in the Gulf) from the prop wash from a ch-53.

Silver
    2002 WS6 Trans Am

Love to see pics when you're done...

weberje

oh, and....

another good tip with fiberglass is be watchful of your threadcount when purchasing. the finer your threads, the smoother it'll sand down. like the boat glass is pretty thick stuff, so is harder to work down. you get easier penetration of the resin into the fiber.

blue
    02 Vette

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by weberje View Post
    another good tip with fiberglass is be watchful of your threadcount when purchasing. the finer your threads, the smoother it'll sand down. like the boat glass is pretty thick stuff, so is harder to work down. you get easier penetration of the resin into the fiber.
    I agree.....

orange
    99 z28

i'm in the progess of making a box myself. i took out the back seats and i'm building it almost like a corvettes rear interior, kinda. only slanted from the front of where the seat goes to the top of the seat back.

i'm making it out of fiberglass, probably no subs, i'm happy with the way 6x9's and stock size speakers so i'm gonna do 2 6x9's on the sides and ...something... in the middle.

so far i have the mold for the seat finished and mdf mounts for the speakers. i plan on finishing it as soon as i figure out how exactly i want it to look.

let me know if you have any fiberglass q's, i used to fiberglass for a living. oh and my box if only fiberglass w/ 1/8'' mdf cut about 3'' larger than the speaker, so its basically a ring for the fiberglass to hold and the speaker to mount (you also need wooden dolls or pretty much anything to firmly seat the mdf before fiberglassing. search the web, there's plenty of how-to's

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information