Thread: Crunch Amps ???

Artic White
    2002 Z28

Crunch Amps ???

I was looking at this amp...Crunch PZi 1000.1 ..... Dont know much about these , I heard one at a local audio shop and it was pushing JL speakers and sounded pretty good BUT I wanted to know if anybody here had any first hand experience with these ....I want to know before I buy it for my 2 new Kicker L7 10" 2 ohm woofers..... Plese help

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

no experience with them.....but do you really think you're gonna get 1000 watts for $100???

IBM
    2006 Pontiac GTO

my buddy had a 2 crunch amps pushing 2 power acoustik mofos on 1st amp blew in 3 weeks second blew 2 weeks later got 2 memphis amps with same power rating and they have held up for almost 8 months now i recomend clarion audio products myself

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by gable2000ta View Post
    my buddy had a 2 crunch amps pushing 2 power acoustik mofos on 1st amp blew in 3 weeks second blew 2 weeks later got 2 memphis amps with same power rating and they have held up for almost 8 months now i recomend clarion audio products myself
    That's the first time I've ever heard anyone recommend Clarion amps -- especially considering they don't really have a market in that area.....

Original poster -- what is your budget? It seems like you are going for cheap - in that case, I would look at Phoenix Gold and HiFonics -- they don't all put out rated, but still give some of the best for your money. MA and Power Acoustik are others some have had success with, but not as popular.

If you are looking to spend more, let us know.

black
    1998 ram air m6 ws6

Zapco or Phoenix Gold,costly but worth the $$$$$$$ !

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by kwade View Post
    Zapco or Phoenix Gold,costly but worth the $$$$$$$ !
    Phoenix Gold is more of a budget amp -- not costly, and not the best..

Zapco is really nice -- if you are looking for really nice amps, also consider Sundown

Artic White
    2002 Z28

What about Db Drive speed series amp? Or Ultra Linear amps?

Artic White
    2002 Z28

anybody?

Monterey Maroon Metallic
    2002 Camaro Z28

Get yourself a kx1200.1 to run them both.

Nuclear Cat Will End All LS1Powerhouse's Avatar
    Edwardsville, IL (So. IL Univ. of Edwardsville)

Mystic Teal
    1999 Camaro Z28 - A4

i had a 600 model and the right channel gave out about 2 weeks after i had it.. don't recommend it... at all

edit: crunch amps

Jiuce it 'till it pings!! 97LTWON's Avatar

Midight blue
    1999 Z28

Old phoenix gold is not crap at all. Do a search on the "ti" series or there "ms" series and you wont think like that again. And same with ZAPCO, do a search and see what a "CK9" amp will run you, used they about 1 grand.All the old competition series amps are bitchen too, not cheap by any means. Crunch is total garbage!!!! Pay attention to not only the power ratings, most if not all amps these days are rated at 14.4 volts, you cars charging system doesnt even get that high. You cars charging system is usually inbetween 13.4 to 14 volts at the highest. Good rule of thumb is to check the fuse ratings. An amp that is pretty efficient will use about 10 to 15 amps per 100 watts of output. Example.....a 2 channel amp of 500 to 600 watts should have a fuse rating of anywhere of 50 to 80 amps of fuses on the amp. Class D amps are a little more efficient and dont have as high of a fuse rating. I can guarantee that that crappy "1000" crunch amp probably has maybe two 30 amp fuses on it. It might give about 500 watts of really dirty and distorted output. That method is an old schoolers method of knowing how much output an amp has. I used to compete when cheaters amps where popular. I had a few systems that kicked ass. One of them i used 4 MTX 225HO amps. Each amp was rated at 2x25 at 4ohms stereo AT 12 VOLTS, not 14.4. I had two amps powering 4 15's and each amp was bridged down to .5 ohms mono. One amp was powering eight 6 1/2 mid bass's, and one amp powering eight tweets. I competed in the 151-200 watt class back in the day and did quite well. Each one of those amps had three 30 amp fuses. The sub amps were pushing close to 1000 watts RMS and the mids and tweets amps where pushing about 600 watts RMS each. Those are RMS (minimum watts driven at all times) and not "peak" ratings like today. It was also really clean sounding, those amps were "class A" circuitry" as most high current amps are. Class "A" amps have a distortion rating of around .0005 at thier rated power. Very,very clean and powerful amps. No one makes high current or cheater amps anymore because of the market. Those amps cost around $600 dollars each back in the day. To somebody that didnt know what they were, they had a hard time grasping on paying that kind of money for a 50 watt amp. To me and alike, we knew what kind of output they could do if properly installed. It seams really appealing to anybody when you see a 1000 watt amp for $120 at the local FRY'S. I just know better that they are just junk. Thats just my experience in the 12 volt world.

Thread Information