Thread: Crazy problem..

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Question Crazy problem..

A friend of mine was installing an amp and sub the other night, not really sure what happened, after we grounded the amp, it had power, and then something happened, we lost power to the amp, my head unit has no power, my drivers side headlight wont go up (it turns on tho) and my gauges wouldnt light up when the lights were on. I checked the fuses, one was shot (IP Dimmer), fixing that took care of the gauges, but my head unit and head light are still screwed up. I did check those fuses as well, none were busted. Both radio fuses were good, and the head light door fuses were also good. The fuse in the amp is still good, the fuse in my head unit is still good, and the fuse in the power line to the amp is good as well. PLEASE tell me someone knows what else to look for?

black
    2002 WS6

Best guess. poor ground. Grounds should be equal to or greater than the supply. Did you do a simple visual check of the fuses or meter them. Experiance has shown me that a fuse my not look blown but is, just not where you expect it,

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Best guess. poor ground. Grounds should be equal to or greater than the supply. Did you do a simple visual check of the fuses or meter them. Experiance has shown me that a fuse my not look blown but is, just not where you expect it,

Yeah all I did was a visual. I was thinking about replacing the radio fuses anyway, just in case as you mentioned. Hope that works, this is ridiculous >:-(

black
    2002 WS6

Isn't electricity fun. I'm guessing that the battery wasn't dissconected while you did the install, from your discription. You might have surged the system, where are you pulling power for the amp? Also be sure to check all the fuses under the hood in the relay boxes. Also feel all the breakers for any heat, if they are hot to the touch there is a big load on them somewhere that needs to be found and it has opened.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Orcus79 View Post
    Isn't electricity fun. I'm guessing that the battery wasn't dissconected while you did the install, from your discription. You might have surged the system, where are you pulling power for the amp? Also be sure to check all the fuses under the hood in the relay boxes. Also feel all the breakers for any heat, if they are hot to the touch there is a big load on them somewhere that needs to be found and it has opened.
    Good guess again. The battery was still connected, which of course I know should not be, but it was something we somehow managed to forget about. We had the amp connected to the fuse box under the hood on the forward most nut/bolt on the front side of the box. I was told later to never do that so that has been disconnected. I did in fact check a couple fuses under the hood, mainly the two that deal with the headlight motors, and a select few others. Will the breakers be hot ONLY if there is a problem? I've never messed with them before so I wanna make sure I know exactly what to feel for. You mentioned I may have surged the system. Seeing as how that didnt (at least not visually) cause any of the fuses to break (head unit, power wire, amp) does that mean the damage is permanent? I still don't have any power to my head unit and all the wiring is good in the back of it.

black
    2002 WS6

Yes the breaker wil only be hot if they open because of a problem or too much load, and I mean really hot. They may get warm from normal use as they are usually found on the high draw circuits like starters and defoggers.

Any damage froma susrge would be on the fuse links and electronics. The only real way to get a surge on DC cricuit is to have a ground short under load. What I would suggest is metering the power lead on the harness to for the head unit to see if you get 12v if you do then your head unit is shot or there is some sort of internal fuse that may have gone. If not you have aproblem else where. Damage from a surge would be very evident so I doubt you did.

Your head light might just be the gear, can you hear the motor try to run? Have you checked the rest of the systems out for proper functions?

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Yea I checked all of my accessories or whatever, everything else works fine. As for the headlight, the gear does not even spin at all, I've already dealt with bad gears and had them replaced, so Im pretty familiar in that area :-/ Its not getting any power, Im certain.

So if the head unit IS okay, where do you think the problem would be? I wont be able to look at it again until tomorrow afternoon unfortunately.

black
    2002 WS6

Pop the harness off the back if you can and check for voltage there, then to the fuse. Keep working back as far as you can till you find the problem or voltage. Do the same with the head light motor. There has to be problem some where. Double check all the grounds to.

Navy Blue Metallic
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

great thanks for your help. I'll get all that stuff checked out tomorrow afternoon and keep at it all damn weekend if I have to. I'll let you know what I can figure out heh..

Thread Information