Thread: CB radio

flat black

CB radio

awhile ago i was on this site...i still dont know what happened to my old account but it just sort of vanished...
    At one point of time there was someone who had a nice CB radio set up intheir fourth gen....could i get some pics and specs of peoples CB systems
    thanks
    lee

1999 Chevy Camaro

CB?!? CB?!? I haven't had a CB radio since the eairly eighties! With cell phones, do people still use those things, lol? Whats next bring back the eight track?

Lol, I'm just bustin your balls. If there is someone out there that has one, good luck that they use this board.

Rob

flat black
    it was someone on this board....it was a black T/A....when my account got screwed up i lost all the info...CB's are great when your on a long trip on the highway...great for talkin to truckers and stuff....good cheap entertainment....plus you get nice trafffic...ahem....help

White
    2000 Trans Am

I have a Cobra all-in-the-handset CB connected to a no ground plane antenna (necessary because of the lack of metal in the body) that I mounted in the stock AM/FM antenna location. The CB antenna cable then goes to a splitter so that I can still use it for the stereo.

I tried to post pictures here but, like you, my post count has disappeared and it won't allow posting URLs until back up to 10 posts.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

my dad sells two way radios ,like what cops use to talk to each other,and i was thinkin abut puttin one of those in my mule and he said he could get antennas that mounted to the glass like cell phone antennas but i dont know if they make them for CB.

flat black
    the one i remember actually had a coil CB antenna mounted in place of our radio antennas, it was a grounded antenna, he ran a ground to the chassis, like you said do to the lack of metal on our cars....i dont knwo i guess ill just have to find a large distributor of CB radio accessories and find what im looking for...i know what im looking for i jsut havnet found it again....yet

White
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by Daniel P.
    my dad sells two way radios ,like what cops use to talk to each other,and i was thinkin abut puttin one of those in my mule and he said he could get antennas that mounted to the glass like cell phone antennas but i dont know if they make them for CB.
    Yes, they make through-the-glass CB antennas (in fact, Radio Shack carries them). I have one installed on my wife's SUV and it works although not very well. They are difficult to match (set the SWR) and get very little distance on transmissions. I have used them in the past and they have actually damaged the CB radios in some installations because of the bad SWR.

Basically, you can use them if you have no other choice but they are not recommended.

White
    2000 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by lrader99
    the one i remember actually had a coil CB antenna mounted in place of our radio antennas, it was a grounded antenna, he ran a ground to the chassis, like you said do to the lack of metal on our cars....i dont knwo i guess ill just have to find a large distributor of CB radio accessories and find what im looking for...i know what im looking for i jsut havnet found it again....yet
    A good NGP antenna will work nearly as well as a grounded one if properly installed. In ideal conditions (i.e. top of a hill on a clear day) I can transmit almost five miles and receive even farther. In normal conditions the range is about two miles which is comparable to what my friends get with their mag-mount whip antennas.

Since I can't post the pictures I've sent you a PM with a link.

Thread Information