Black / White
    '00 T/A M6/'19 Hemi Truck

Car wont start after removing radio

Ok...so first off...im an idiot. I took the radio out last night without disconnecting the battery "I know better but I just forgot". WITH THAT SAID...the car started when I put it back in at like 9:30pm last night...it stuttered, but it started. I set the clock to the accurate time, set my presets back to the stations I wanted and went to bed.

Fast forward to this morning...put the key in, go to start the car and it just clicks but wont turn over. I disconnected the battery for a minute or two and let it sit there and reconnected it hoping that would solve the problem but it didnt. So im thinking 1 of like 5 things...First is the battery, its got the symptoms of a dead or dieing battery so I'm going to take it out after work and go get it tested...gonna try and jump it off too. Second thing I was thinking is that I somehow messed with the theft system by not disconnecting the battery but wouldnt the car have not started last night instead of this morning...? Weird...

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated...like I said, the car started last night when I put the battery back in. It wasnt a solid start and it hesitated for just a second and then turned over with no issues. I was thinking it was because I had the radio out for like 2-3hours and didnt think much of it until I tried to start it this morning.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

sounds like your battery ran down overnight.......got any pinched or shorted wires? Leave anything on accidentally in the car overnight like parking lights or anything like that?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by 0rion View Post
    sounds like your battery ran down overnight.......got any pinched or shorted wires? Leave anything on accidentally in the car overnight like parking lights or anything like that?
    I dont think I left any lights on...but I very easily could have. I'll pull everything out tonight and make sure nothing is shorted or pinched before I try to jump it off...hopefully thats all it is.
    2000 Black TA M6 - LT's, ORY, UMI Short Stick, TT2's, Drilled/Slotted Rotors, Braided Lines, and Tuned by Vengeance SCCA and Car Show Approved
    2019 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Laramie Limited
    2015 Ram 1500 Crew Cab Sport Premium Hemi - Sold
    2010 Hemi Crew Cab Sport Premium - Tuner and HID's - Sold
    06 Quad Cab HHHHemi - Sold
    99 Hugger Orange Camaro - Sold
    97 Camaro - Sold

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

+1 on a battery/connection issue. Radio has nothing to do with our cars starting.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Battery, electrical connection or a bad relay in the ignition system.

Black / White

jumped it off tonight and it started with no issues...let it sit for an hour and started it again with no issues...took it to dinner and started with no issues.

Lets see how it does in the morning...

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Will you do a basic check of you charging system for me? Turn the key on, engine off, and see where the volt gauge reads. Should be close to 12v. Now, start it and see if it goes higher, near 14v. If it does, your alternator *should* be ok. If it stays near 12v or goes lower, you are only running on battery power and you Trans Am will strand you somewhere soon.

Also get your battery checked if the volt meter responds like it should. You may have permanently damgaed it by draining it the other day. Most auto batteries have their life greatly shortened when completely drained, which it sounds like you almost did. A deep cycle battery can withstand multiple drainings.

Also you may have a bad spot on your starter, sometimes it will just "click" and no crank over.

Black / White

Voltage looks good on the dash. I haven't hooked a meter up to it...the battery is about a year old. Had a brand new battery in it when I bought the car last June/July.

I've been trying to remember if I left a door open or a light on in the car because it was sitting in my garage all night...I know I had the hatch open for a while too. I highly doubt its the starter...I could be wrong, but I really doubt it. I think I left something on and just drained the battery some how...stupid move on my part.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 T/A w/ mods, 00 FBVert

crap this thread just reminded me to add a battery to the list of stuff to by on payday.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post
    Voltage looks good on the dash. I haven't hooked a meter up to it...the battery is about a year old. Had a brand new battery in it when I bought the car last June/July.

I've been trying to remember if I left a door open or a light on in the car because it was sitting in my garage all night...I know I had the hatch open for a while too. I highly doubt its the starter...I could be wrong, but I really doubt it. I think I left something on and just drained the battery some how...stupid move on my part.
    this is what it sounds like to me.....sounds like you just left something on.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mean Green Z28 View Post
    Don't worry about understanding women. Women understand women, and they hate each other

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

Quote Originally Posted by theorangeguy View Post

....except usually the interior lights are controlled by the BCM and time out after 10 minutes or so to prevent a dead battery. Maybe you left the igniton on all night? Did you check the voltage on the dash as I suggested?

Black / White

Quote Originally Posted by Too Fast View Post
    ....except usually the interior lights are controlled by the BCM and time out after 10 minutes or so to prevent a dead battery. Maybe you left the igniton on all night? Did you check the voltage on the dash as I suggested?
    yea, I said it was fine.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

^^^kewl.

Sometimes people don't follow directions, just checking to be sure your voltage went up when the engine started.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

I've left my door open during radio installs too. The car will shut off the lights after 10 min or so, but if you turn on the ignition, open a door, open the hatch etc, the interior lights come back on. You just killed the battery. I'm sure all will be well now. The car prob just started the 1st time cause it was still warm, in the morning when it was cold, it required more cold cranking amps to start it back up.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

My car has a draw somewhere and will drag a battery down in about 2 weeks... no aftermarket electrical equipment other than gauges, so not sure what the issue is. Hasn't been troubling enough to take the time to chase it yet.

BLACK
    1998 PONTIAC TA

Electrical issues are such a PITA!! I have a co-worker with a 2002 Pontiac bonneville, that had a battery drain issue that took 2 days of the car sitting to completely kill the battery. Took me a week (working on it a few hrs everyday after work) just to find the circuit where the drain was located. Pulling the fuses did not work, because after I pulled a circuit fuse, the drain took 2 minutes to go away. After finding said circuit, I decided just to put a toggle switch on the center console for that circuit to kill it and save the battery from draining. He's "suppose" to get rid of the car soon, so that's why I didn't fix the problem correctly.

Thread Information