Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Camaro, Monsoon/adding 62.7is to door, writeup

This is for the Camaro(98-02), others years and models may not be the same, so only going with what I know. This is in the hardtop and t top cars with the Monsoon setup.
    thought I would do a quick writeup with pictures for those wanting to upgrade the door speakers. Reason I didn't name any other brands is I don't know of any that are 2ohm.

62.7i and stock speaker side by side(notice the dual connectors on both)

Top view

Shows holes line up

Stock speaker in door.

Stock speaker removed, notice the 2 sets of wires(tweeter/woofer), when removed you may want to mark which one goes to the tweeter and woofer for ease of connecting later.

I used a piece of tape to mark the tweeter wires(easy to mix up since they look alike)

I cut a couple inches of wires off the crossover Infinity supplies with the 62.7i, and spliced the wires into the the factory wires. Don't use the crossover infinity supplies, everything is crossover already. they supply this for cars that don't need a dual input. Plus, the 62.7i has a crossover in the tweeter and the monsoon amp is crossed over for the woofer.

Tweak the tweeter to adjust for best sound(is adjustable to point where you want the sound to go and can turn it for more db's of highs, I turned mine alll the way up and had the tweeter point as close I could get it to the shifter).

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

nicely done...now, how do you get the door panel off?

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    nicely done...now, how do you get the door panel off?

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

Quick note for Pontiac owners:

You CAN use these speakers as replacements. After some trial and error to find the best set-up, this is what I found works best. What I did was replace the factory speaker with the 62.7i and left the factory tweeter alone. The input for the factory mid and tweeter are independant. My understanding is that one comes from the headunit and the other from the moonson amp. I found better results when using the input for the mid with the supplied crossover. Unlike the camaro description above, I recommend using it for the pontiacs. In the end, you have one mid and two tweeters that rock. Now all I need a subwoofer...bad!!!

Quote Originally Posted by The Scientist View Post
    Quick note for Pontiac owners:

You CAN use these speakers as replacements. After some trial and error to find the best set-up, this is what I found works best. What I did was replace the factory speaker with the 62.7i and left the factory tweeter alone. The input for the factory mid and tweeter are independant. My understanding is that one comes from the headunit and the other from the moonson amp. I found better results when using the input for the mid with the supplied crossover. Unlike the camaro description above, I recommend using it for the pontiacs. In the end, you have one mid and two tweeters that rock. Now all I need a subwoofer...bad!!!
    you can't run the tweeter through the crossover running off of the amp, there's no signal there other than that for the woofer

Madeche Vision...soon The Scientist's Avatar

NBM
    '98 Ram Air Formula

MadSeason, since you used the word woofer I take it you may be confused. This if for the door speakers, I am not talking about replacing the sail panel speakers in this manner. I understand you have to tap into the rear speaker inputs for full range of sound.
    If you are talking about the door then I would argue that the signal for the mid in the door is near full range. It may not be the ideal set up but trust me when I say that it works. Especially for those who want nothing more that to replace a blown speaker. Yes, the tweeter will scream (and is still adjustable) when using that signal with the crossover.
    As I said I did a lot of trial and error and this works the best. I also tried using the mid signal (no crossover) to power the woofer and the factory tweeter signal (with & without the factory crossover) to power the tweeter. I was very unhappy with any combination of this setup, especially without the factory crossover and it wasn't much better with it.
    Rotwiler did a great write-up and I commend him for it. I certainly didn't have the patience (or digital camera) to do the same. What I do know is that this has been a question for Pontiac owners in many threads and I am here to say that it can be done.

Black
    2000 ss Camaro

if i may add something to this great rite up. the monsoon amp is crossed over for the tweet and you should cut the passive crossover off of the tweet. also the factory tweet is a very high impedance so most any aftermarket speaker you install will have a lower impedance and are going to be louder than the factory tweet meening the tweet tipically will over power the mid and make everything a little bright. from what i remember the factory tweet meters around 6ohm and the woofer meters around 4ohm. so my suggestion on speakers would be to go with a 4ohm speaker instead of a 2ohm so that you you can get more of an xact match. reason being the lower the impedance the harder the amp is going to work the faster it will heat up and the faster it will distort. most monsoon systems are going to be a higher impedance around 4ohm . now when you get into bose systems that can be a differant storry they are generaly 2ohm speakers.
    Last edited by jclm24v; 10-08-2006 at 08:16 PM.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Easy Way

Great Write up, made it real easy. I found a great deal on the kappas.

http://www.cranberrymerchant.com/136812/5217141.html

Midnight Blue
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by jpick1353 View Post
    Great Write up, made it real easy. I found a great deal on the kappas.

http://www.cranberrymerchant.com/136812/5217141.html
    you can get them for less than that shipped on eBay.

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

My brother in law works at infinity, he is the one that directed me to www.cranberrymerchant.com
    basically their tier 5 wholesale price on those, which is the most aggressive is $94.82. If you can buy something for less then that, then it is a refurbished or a factory reject unit. He said a lot of them are factory rejects because they do not play the full sound spectrum, etc. etc.

Anyways, I looked on Ebay and I personally chose to spend the extra $10 to get a factory direct non refurbished or grey market unit.

White
    2000 z28 6spd

Your my hero, you just explained simply how to do something that was taking me hours of research with crutchfield and other camaro sites! I have the same exact speakers and everything. Thanks for the huge time saving tips.

NBM
    '98 Z28

Rot,

I bought the 62.7i for the doors and sail panels. No subs for now. Deleted the hatch speakers too. Running everything through the Monsoon amp and Pioneer 4800MP HU. Installed per your directions. I just wanted to THANK YOU!!! Your advice and direction were spot-on and greatly appreciated. The highs were hurting my ears a little, but I think I may have it adjusted now. Again, thanks much. Jim
    Last edited by WartHog; 12-04-2006 at 11:32 AM.

weberje
    I still want to know how you take off the door panel!!!

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

weberje
    Sweet. Thanx.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

I got my Infinity 62.7i's installed today. they are glorious.

Red
    2000 Camaro SS #3574 A4

ya, I bought them from that Cranberrymerchant website for 100 bucks, only cost like, 8 dollars to ship. I went to Frys electronics the other day and saw them there for 150 bucks. made me feel good.

2002 Z28

Another tip is if your aftermarket hu has the abilty to turn down the output(my Kenwood can turn down the output to match the system better or you can turn it up), is just like the sub output adjustments. With it set to -2 I can turn the stereo up to full blast with no noticable distortion. These 62.7i's also fit perfect in the back seat sailpanel(but you need to run wires from the far hatch speakers if you want highs). Only mod you need to do when adding them in the sailpanel is use a piece of sound deadening or something else to plug the square cutout under the factory sub in the sailpanel. GM decided to take the easy way and they ran the speaker wires from outside area to the back of the speaker which left a hole. The factory subs have a hard carboard piece that covers the hole. I added a couple feet of lighweight sound deadening behind the sailpanel and covered some of the large holes in the speaker hole on the cars body. I don't use the 62.7i's for low bass though, I have 2 10's, so the 62.7i's are for mids and highs only. The factory amp sounds pretty good now..I have no reason to ever upgrade it now.

Black
    2000 Camaro Z28

My door speakers were blown so I installed these this weekend. Wow what a difference over my stock speakers (even when they worked). They sound awesome, if a little bright. I think when I install the EU-700s it will balance out a little more. These are great speakers. Thanks for the write up.

2002 Z28

Flatten out the EQ on your hu and point the tweeters almost pointing at each other, helps with the brightness of them. Also, don't turn the db's of highs up on the tweeter, leave it all the way down. It took some playing with to get it just right.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread Information