Thread: Boom

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Boom

I would like to get a little more boom from my audio system without doing a total make over. I've considered getting a stealth box with sub and just adding it to my existing Monsoon system. Would this give me the results I'm wanting and sound decent? Also, should I go with one sub, or get the passenger side stealth box also? Only fear with the passenger side is I think you have to remove the spare tire and jack. Is this true, or were any of you able to make it work and keep the spare? I just have a fear of installing the system and getting a flat tire the very next day. Thanks in advance for the help and information.

Red
    1999 Z28

put it in the other side (possibly you have a 12-disc changer in the side I am talking of now?)

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

I don't have the 12 disk option, so it would go in that side perfect, just wasnt' sure if it would give me the punch I was looking for. Guess I could always do that first then add the additional one if I wasn't satisfied.
    Last edited by 02TAFAN; 02-10-2006 at 10:30 AM.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

yeah, go for it-i don't like them b/c i feel like the weight is now severely favored to the driver's side of the car but i demoed one in my car with a 600watt amp and Monsoon head unit. that thing punched really hard-they're expensive though, good luck.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

I added the MTX Thunderform that fit in the open spot where the c/d changer goes (I don't have the changer option either). I really like the sound and the extra bass (or boom). I have a stock monsoon except for recently changing out the door speakers to the Infinitys. When I had the MTX installed, they had to add something (a little inline box) but I cannot remember what it was.
    1999 Hugger Z
    430 hp 475 tq... Ah, Stock.
    "A man's got to know his limitations." Harry Callahan

Red
    1999 Z28

Prolly a line level converter. That is how you get a rca signal for the rcs'a to the amp. I guess I am assuming that you have an amp or sumthing, or the thunderform does(?) because I have not looked at them much before.

Hugger Orange
    1999 Camaro Z28

Yep, the Thunderform has a built in amp.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

Any of the stealth boxes whether subthump, MTX Thunderform, or Vantage/JL Audio will work well and give alot of bass if you want it to. The acoustics of the rear well are awesome. I can get 137 dB out of mine with the rear divider out. Mind you thats just one 10in. RF HE2 running off the sub channel of a 5-channel RF 600.5. It is VERY loud. The passenger side is if you wanna get crazy with the bass and yes you have to remove the spare and cut in your plastic panel on that side for a passenger side enclosure. The exception to that is if you have a convertable where the passenger side is your only option for stealth boxes. A word of warning...Once you start moding the audio, you'll probably want to do the rest and ditch the Monsoon. It's addictive!!

Pewter
    2002 Trans Am WS6

Thanks for all of the comments everyone. It has given me a lot of information and things to look into for my setup. I am afraid to start because I fear it getting very addictive, but with so many of my friends getting subs, I think I maybe hooked already.

Mystic Teal Metallic 79U
    1998 Pontiac Trans Am

You can do it..just shop online for most of your stuff. I have found that Circuit city,crutchfield,bestbuys, and even brandsmart are very expensive to the tune of about double what you'd spend on ebay. I can put together a solid system usually for about $550.00 or less. Don't be afraid to buy used in some cases. Stealthbox's for example. Most of them are just a hunk of plastic. Kinda hard to mess that up and your not spending $150.00-$300.00 for a new one when you could buy one for around $40.00-$100.00. Just take your time and spend what you can when you can and above all research everything before you buy. Google search the stuff you think you want and see how other people have liked it. Epinions, cardomain, and others have reviews on alot of stuff. I'm a diehard Rockford Fosgate fan and have been since 1988 but lately I've been reading more about some of the Power Acoustik stuff. Inexpensive and powerful...check out the FUBR and MOFO subs and compare them to the RF stuff. Their amps are pretty cool too. Just take your time and above all have fun with it!!! Good luck!

Thread Information