Thread: Blown Speaker

black
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Blown Speaker

My bird came with a blown speaker directly behind my head and I cannot take the feeling of someone shaking macaroni in my ear anymore. Few questions.

If I replace all the speakers will the 2 ohm stock amp be an issue? If so how can it be fixed?

What are the sizes of the stock speakers all around?

Is there anyway of limiting the output? My Monsoon doesnt have a volume gauge so theres no way of knowing when youre pushing the limits of the system.

Thanks in advance

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Ones in the sail panle behind your head are 2 ohms the rest are 4. The two in the sails are the subs. There is a thread on how to replace them with aftermarket subs or you can run standars 4 ohm full range speakers in the sails and disconect the far rear speakers in the hatch area and run the wires for those forward to the sails. You wount have any subs that way but you can also add a stealth sub box in the hatch and use a seperate sub amp and balance the system back out that way. This is what I did. You can always look for a used 2 ohm sub to replace it but it will go again. The replacement is not easy and will require work but if you just want to replace them it's the best option. http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36813
    As far as speaker sizes they are as follows.
    Front door-5 1/2 to 6 1/2 Need adapter rings with most speakers but some do not. 6 1/2fit better.
    Sail panel- 5 1/2 to 6 1/2 with adapter ring again some 6 1/2's will fit with out
    Hatch area- 4inch
    Front have 2 sets of wires going to them. one set is for Low/mid only and the other is for highs only. you have to seperate them out.
    Cruthchfield.com has all the info as to what fits and they usually give you adapter rings and any other parts needed to make the install easy. check them out for what fits as far as full range speakers go. They don't sell a replacement sub. the link above is your best bet for info on those. Check the top of the stereo section for other info on the monsoon system.

black
    02 Pontiac Trans Am WS6

Thanks a lot for the info. Any knowledge about limiting the volume to keep from damage in the future?

blue

OK, now i'm really confused! Which one below is correct for the trans am?

Ones in the sail panle behind your head are 2 ohms the rest are 4
    stickie from ls1tech

Firebird coupes have component 6.5S (6.5" oversize) 2-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the doors, dual voice coil 6.5S (4-ohm + 4-ohm) subs mounted in the sail panels (beside the rear seat), and component 4" 4-ohm mids and .75" 4-ohm tweeters mounted separately in the hatch area.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

2 ohm mids and subs and 4 ohm tweeters and in the hatch. The mids and subs are powered off the amp at 2 ohm and the tweeters and hatch speakers off the HU at 4 ohm.

At least that's how the setup is for the Camaro.

Green
    1997 Camaro Z-28

Quote Originally Posted by LS1 oldtimer View Post
    OK, now i'm really confused! Which one below is correct for the trans am?

stickie from ls1tech
    Eah your right birds have 4ohm subs camaros have 2ohm subs I don't know what I was thinking when I posted. for some reason I thought he was camaro.

its short but its skinny. jiveass's Avatar

pewter
    99 trans am

Quote Originally Posted by sparkman0034 View Post
    Thanks a lot for the info. Any knowledge about limiting the volume to keep from damage in the future?
    you shouldnt have any issue with damaging these subs..and yes , they are subs....anyways they are nice and can really move!!

Thread Information