Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Blown front speakers in SS Convertible

I have blown my front speakers in my 2002 SS convertible. Does anyone have any suggestions for some good replacements? They are 6 1/2 inch round speakers, but they are 2 ohm and have 4 wires, 2 for each voice coil, which doesn't seem very common. Thanks in advance.

Arrest Me Red
    1999 Trans am

i have the polk db 6.5's... i love them.. $99

Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Thanks for the reply. Do the Polks have 2 separate speaker wires like the Delcos? Did you have to modify anything to put them in? Thanks.

Arrest Me Red
    1999 Trans am

honestly i don't remember, mine wansn't monsoon equipped.

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

Infinity Kappa's 72i's are direct 2 ohm replacement speakers. that's what i replaced my door speakers with since they were blown. less than $100 dollars and you do nt tuse the cross over that comes with them. just splice the wires and connect the highs to highs and lows to lows. it's easy and doesn't take long to swap out...

Must be a common problem,,,my 02 SS convertable also had blown front speakers, both were replaced under warranty a couple years ago.

Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

OK, so it sounds like the best replacements are the Infinity Kappa 72is; just cut the wires and splice in without using the crossovers. I was looking at the Infinity web site under the Kappa series http://www.infinitysystems.com/car/p...aspx?SerId=KAP but couldn't figure out which ones they are. Has anyone bought these lately? Are the 62.7Is the same as the 72is? Thanks.

black
    2000 camaro z28

same happened to me in my 2000 z28 a4... it actually is a common problem..especially monsoon stereos... the speaker couldnt handle the power...ac delco came out with a factory replacement that can handle the power and at a very good price!!!! i got mine on ebay... it was an ebay store and the name was......thepartsladi.... everything worked out great

Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

OK, it sounds like the OEM speakers are a solution as are the Infinity Kappa speakers. I looked on the Infinity website but didn't see 72is - is this an old model. There is a KAPPA62.7I that is a 6 1/2 " two-way speaker. Does this sound like the 72i? Thanks.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by daveinstl View Post
    OK, it sounds like the OEM speakers are a solution as are the Infinity Kappa speakers. I looked on the Infinity website but didn't see 72is - is this an old model. There is a KAPPA62.7I that is a 6 1/2 " two-way speaker. Does this sound like the 72i? Thanks.
    That is what you want, Infinity Kappa 62.7i -- check prices on ebay, and SonicElectronix.com

Visualize°Design°Create SSwt00SS's Avatar

'18 CTS-V
    '13 ZL1

opps, my bad it is 62.7i's...

apologize for the confusion...

Ratdaddy07
    I have a front and a rear panel blown. Does the Ac Delco on ebay have the entire set? I think I would like to replace all of my speakers, the rest can't be long for this world.

black
    2000 camaro z28

yes i got all four on ebay...from the ebay store i listed in my first post

I have a need for speed! jigger1166's Avatar

Artic White
    00 SS Vert.

Thumbs up

You should check with www.Crutchfield.com They have direct replacement speakers, customer ratings/feedback, factory adapter harnesses, and installation guides, all at no extra cost. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, they have good prices, and great customer service.
    JIGGER RACIN'
    2000 Camaro SS, vert., auto., LS6 intake manifold, SLP lid, K&N filter, SLP LoudMouth II, C5 Z06 replica 17x9.5 rims
    1/4 mile time = 13.310 sec. @ 105.22 mph, 2.051 60'

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2939958

http://i158.photobucket.com/albums/t...amarolaeft.jpg

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by jigger1166 View Post
    You should check with www.Crutchfield.com They have direct replacement speakers, customer ratings/feedback, factory adapter harnesses, and installation guides, all at no extra cost. I've bought a lot of stuff from them, they have good prices, and great customer service.
    Sometimes their prices are decent......not usually - rarely actually. All the extra stuff is nice, but also unnecessary. Customer service there is awesome as well. However, you pay enough that all that stuff.....and it's definitely not worth it unless you have money to throw away. I order almost everything from SonicElectronix.com -- for example the 62.7i's we're talking about here are $150 from Crutchfield Vs. $100 from SonicElectronix.....

Just having factory adaptor harnesses are worth the extra cost to me. I can't stand a car that has had wiring hacked together. I prefer factory connectors to keep it neat and clean, plus much easier to take apart the second time when the time comes. Larry.

Ratdaddy07
    Damn I'm just gonna check'em all out.

Blog Entries

Red
    2002 Camaro SS

Can you hook up 4 wires to the Infinitys or the Polks? I am with FirebirdJones, on this car I can but don't want to cut the wires. I bet either sounds a lot better than the Delcos, but using the factory wires is a big plus. I have yet to see any Delco speakers that were worth a s*&^.

Ratdaddy07
    You know the factory system sounded pretty darn good until they gave up the ghost. Plus I think my 2nd 100K miles will take like 5 times longer than the 1st so they should last me.

Ya, I never turn it up loud enough to hurt anything anyway, even with the top down. They were blown from the previous original owner and I got some paperwork showing replacement under warranty,,,both door speakers.
    I always adjust the sound more towards the larger speakers as well to take the strain off of the smaller ones.
    I'm old, and don't care for loud radios anyway, I grew up before all this booming stuff came into play. I am pretty confident my factory GM speakers will last my lifetime. It only needs to be loud enough to hear it,,,for me that is. Larry.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread Information