Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

best place for a speaker box

i am about to put 2 12" in my car and dont know the best spot to put them...i would really like to keep the back seats in and keep the slots open for my t-tops...i wanted to put them behind the back seats under the rear window but someone told me that i could blow or crack the window...any suggestions

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

I had 2 10" xtant subs firing up and a 15" kicker comp vr underneath of those and never blew a rear hatch out of the car. I wouldn't worry about that part of it. However, I don't remember who makes it, but there is a pre-made box out there for the Fbods that will fit your speakers and still maintain use of the t-top area. Someone else will chime in with that manufacturer.

Pewter Metallic
    2002 Pontiac Trans AM

yup i have seen the premade box for the f bodys but it was one that went were the ttops go..ill check up on the one your talkin bout..

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Do not worry about your windows being damaged - I have yet to see that be the case it our cars. The only way I have seen a system damage windows is when someone sees he system inside, decides they want it, breaks your window open with a crowbar, and takes it.

Visit SUBTHUMP.com -- by FAR your best option. (but costly - could always just have a box right up there in plain view -- you will be able to see enough to drive safely still....trust me..)

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Yes you can run a what we call a "J Board" or a free air plate with 2 12's without ANY issues.
    I hade 4 different pairs of 12's in my Camaro firing up at the glass being pushed by a HiFonics ZUES running at a true 900rms.
    As a matter of fact I also had my POWER 1000 in there on some Pro 12's too.
    You could see the glass flex though......
    Make sure it's 3/4" MDF or 1". Don't get any bulls_it cause it will flex and come apart.
    The woofers need to be heavy enough to hold the board down also.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Giant Dicks Car Club Zapper2003's Avatar

2005 Ram
    1978 Firebird

with 2 10's and the 15 sitting at redlights with the t-tops off you could watch the windshield frame vibrate on both sides, probably moved a good quarter inch both directions.

Red & Black w/T-tops
    00 Z28 Camaro

what kind of subs are you planning on putting in there? I really doubt two 12 inch are going to hurt anything. I have installed many set-ups in camaros and have yet to see a problem.
    MeZ

Black
    2002 Firehawk Trans Am

save the weight and the space get a single 10 with a stealth box from MTX. more than sufficient if you ask me. I had a single JL in my TA and more than what I expected / wanted. not only that but it looks stock. I like the clean stock look.

Red
    97 Z28

I was debating as to whether or not to get a dual setup or a stealth setup. I figured that putting a stealth box in the drivers side cubby hole would give me some bass,but I was WRONG. That son of a gun hits hard with my Punch P2 in it. I ordered from subthump on Monday and got it today. The box is nicely done. I'm happy with my decision. I was like 02Hawk,I liked the clean look.Nobody knows it's back there until I turn it up.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I have seen the premade boxes and stealth boxes for the rear of the car. But has anybody ever made/seen any custom box made to fit where the rear seats are? I was thinking about taking out my seats and building a box to go there.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I have seen the premade boxes and stealth boxes for the rear of the car. But has anybody ever made/seen any custom box made to fit where the rear seats are? I was thinking about taking out my seats and building a box to go there.
    Yea - I've seen a fiberglass box there......but why??

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I'm trying to see if I can find any pictures of it or such to give me something to think about. I'm trying to decide if I want to put subs in my car, and if I do where I want to put them.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by Keith View Post
    I'm trying to see if I can find any pictures of it or such to give me something to think about. I'm trying to decide if I want to put subs in my car, and if I do where I want to put them.
    IMO,trying to decide between: if you even want subs Vs. going as far as removing the rear seats for a setup is a BIG difference in thought, as you seem to be considering one end of the spectrum or another.

I wouldn't remove the rear seats for a setup unless you want some kinda show car -- you would gather the attention of possible thieves as well.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

Alright so I looked around for the premade boxes for the rear(ones that have space left for the T-Tops.) I found some on SubThump.com. I can get Kickers for wholesale so I'm probably going to go with those. Do you think that a single L7 or Solo X Kicker would be the same as two? Or maybe even it would be better to use two L5 Kickers. I've had a box in a car before and I had too much sub for the space. It wouldn't hit to its peak because it didn't have enough air. I just don't want to overkill it again. I just want to make sure I do it right and I know you guys have a lot more experience with that than me.

Oh and heres the one I found. http://www.subthump.com/acamarottop.htm

Red & Black w/T-tops
    00 Z28 Camaro

the L7 needs alot of power 750w R.M.S. 1500 peak. It is a great sub, but what makes it even greater is the fact that it does require that much air space. They would sound great in there. I am fiberglassing a box where my spare tire was because it is a much bigger area than the driver's side. I am going with the Kicker CVX which is exactly the same as the L7 only it is a round sub instead of a square so it is much cleaner sounding.

Black
    '02 WS6

Those boxes @ subthump look sweet. I asked a couple places around here if I could get a box and still put the tops in back and they all said no. Glad to see I can w/o having to have a custom built.

Black
    2001 Camaro SS

I am going to power the Kicker L7 with the Kicker ZX1500.1. Its got 1550 @ 2 Ohms.

Maple Red Metallic
    2001 Trans Am

I have the TTop box from Subthump runnin 2-10s.I love it.It looks great,and sounds great,and still have a place for my ttops.I would recomend it to anyone.

Jim Scarpine

02 Camaro SS S.O.M.
    07 Trailblazer SS AWD

i have the JL stealth bok in mine on a 400w crossfire amp turned up 3/4 and its pleanty for me, im happy with it, it hits harder than you'd think it would plus id rather listen to my exhaust anyways but thats just me

02 som SS #4818 m6 all SLP options, cme, lt's, ory, e-cutout, lowered(slammed), Pro 5.0, 4:10s, boltons, 19" CCW 505A'S, 365rwhp 379ftlbs
    07 silverstone TBSS matching SS hood, cai, exhaust, HP tuners, DJM/Beltech, DAILY DRIVER

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28

I like this setup...oh wait, that's mine

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information