Pewter
    2000 Firehawk

AVIC-N2 Navigation System

I just recently purchased a pioneer avic-n2 and was wondering the best place to tap in the VSS wire for navigation. I'm installing it in a 2000 Firehawk.

Red
    1991 Camaro

There is a speed wire in the factory radio harness. That's how the automatic volume controls works on the stock radio.
    20x,xxx miles

My vbgarage
    My Cardomain Page
    My Fquick Page

A site for Car Salesmen Only!
    www.CarSalesForum.com

White
    1998 Trans Am

I wouldn't do it. Then it doesn't let you do as much while you drive. i have the speed disabled on my Eclipse. I can watch dvd's and use all the nav features as well.
    1998 Trans Am 85k miles.
    Bolt ons, MS3 113LSA cam, Circle D Stall, Tune, Modified WS6 style hood, Full Suspension, 6000k HID's, Clear Side Markers w/ Leds, Led 3rd Brake Light and 18" AR Staggered Killer Wheels w/ BFG KDW NT's.- Weekend Toy/DD
    02 Trailblazer -Sold
    09 Ram 1500 CC - Sold
    09 Cobalt SS/TC - Sold
    13 ram 1500 LoneStar CC 4x4 - Magnaflow, K&N,and more to come-DD/Toy

Red
    1991 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by RyanJM View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Then it doesn't let you do as much while you drive. i have the speed disabled on my Eclipse. I can watch dvd's and use all the nav features as well.
    The speed sensing wire has nothing to do with the "saftey" features on the Pionner N2. Even if he doesn't hook up that wire, it will still not play DVD's on the go. The by-pass is really easy. Check out www.avic411.com for the specifics.

red
    2001 trans am

i don't mean to sound stupid but i just orderd the double din bezel for my 2001 trans am. when i was at the local radio shop looking at radios the guy asked if i wanted to hook up the VSS and i said no because i didn't know what it was. so my question is what features do you get by hooking the VSS up?

Red
    1991 Camaro

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PU.../AVIC-N2?tab=D

According to the installation manual (page 11):

"Car speed input wire is connected to detect the distance the vehicle travels. Always connect the speed detection circuit or the ND-PG1 speed pulse generator, sold separately. Failure to make this connection will increase errors in the location display."

Also read pages 110 to 114 in the Operations manual. It explains in detail how the GPS and the 3D hybrid sensor (which is the speed pulse, G sensor, and the gyrosensor) work together.

All I know is uses the speed signal to increase the accuracy of the display. It learns your car. The more your drive your car, the more accurate the display is. It also has a wire to tap into the reverse signal so it knows when your backing up. All to get the display more accurate. I've noticed that mine is getting more accurate the more I drive it.

The AVIC-N2 also has a different display mode that has vehicle dynamic gauges. Like speedometer, voltage, acceleration, side acceleration, angular velocity, slope, compass, and a clock. Which requires the speed wire to be hooked up.
    Last edited by krisb410; 04-14-2009 at 03:48 PM.

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

Pioneer is easy to bypass so you can watch dvd's while driving, although it is illegal. Just ground the wire that goes to the ebrake.

Red
    1991 Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by bigrondownhiller View Post
    Pioneer is easy to bypass so you can watch dvd's while driving, although it is illegal. Just ground the wire that goes to the ebrake.
    That's wrong!!!!!! (well sort of, you do have to ground the ebrake wire. But there's more to it.)
    www.avic411.com has the proper way to bypass Pioneer units. (already posted the link a few posts up)

NBM
    2000 SS

I have my avic bypassed and the vss is hooked up. I can watch dvds while driving and the "gauges" that it has works fine(speedometer)

Thread Information