Black
    02 SS #8850

Question Aux in for stock Monsoon head unit

I am going to make the cd changer cable into an adapter for my ipod. I have a question about this though. It seems that if a cd changer WAS hooked up, you would press the "CD / AUX" button to change between the regular cd player and the changer. But as it is now (with no cd changer hooked up), when you press the "CD / AUX" button, nothing happens. So there must be some signal from the cd changer to tell the head unit that it is there. Does anyone know how to fake this / bypass it so I can simply use the audio lines in the cd changer cable for my ipod?

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

Adding an auxiliary input to the factory system involves using an adapter that only works on certain models. Even the adapter manufacturers aren't clear on which models will work so here is the rundown. Auxiliary adapters that plug into the CD changer port on the back of the head unit will only work with head units that are capable of controlling the factory external CD changer. Even though all models had the CD changer port not all models could control a changer - the port was also used for an external cassette player that was offered in some GM models but never in F-bodies. All cassette head units were capable of controlling the factory changer. Only late '99 and newer models of single CD head units could connect to the factory changer. There is no easy way to tell an early '99 from a late '99 without opening the head unit so you're best to go with 2000 or newer. '01 and '02 models had the added ability to control more than one external device so you could have both the changer and an auxiliary device attached - prior to that it was only one or the other. Auxiliary input adapters are made by PIE (Peripheral Interface Electronics), PAC (Pacific Accessories Corp.) and USA Spec. The PAC adapters require a factory changer to work even though you can't use the changer after installing the adapter so one of the other two products are probably a better choice. PIE and USA Spec also make iPod-specific adapters that allow you to control the iPod from the head unit or steering wheel controls and also recharge the iPod battery.

Black
    02 SS #8850

I have an '02. So you think it would be better to buy one of these adapter modules rather than use the changer harness and make my own adapter? They are kind of pricy for what they do.

White/Black
    1999 Camaro z28

You can buy one of those adapters to make it think its using a cd changer, or you can use the actual ipod interface what charges your ip and stuff.. its up to you.

Lubricant
    You need a GM9-AUX from pie!

Black
    02 SS #8850

I called them and they said an '02 with a factory in-dash CD player takes GM10-AUX. The GM9 is for cars with radios that have the AM/FM/Cassette with 'TAPE/AUX' button. Mine is AM/FM/CD with the CD/AUX button. Has anyone used the GM9 or GM10?

I am curious about this as well. I have a 2000 with an in dash CD player with the AUX button, but according to the P.I.E. website, none of them will work with this radio (it says it needs to be a tape player), even though several message boards claim otherwise. I would love to just get a GM9-AUX and call it good, but how do I know it will work?

Lubricant
    2002 monsoon w/cd.. gm9-aux
    I use it.

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

I have seen it done by going into the CD player and using the actual CD signal wires (cutting them, running the proper wires to a jack, etc.).

Black
    02 SS #8850

Yes but how do you tell the head unit to use the CD changer input signal. Without some data signal telling the head unit that you are using the "AUX" there will be no way to switch from "CD" to "AUX".

Red
    '97 Z28 M6

Quote Originally Posted by slade8200 View Post
    Yes but how do you tell the head unit to use the CD changer input signal. Without some data signal telling the head unit that you are using the "AUX" there will be no way to switch from "CD" to "AUX".
    With a special normally open type jack, CD audio will pass through the jack fine when nothing is plugged in -- when you plug in a cable into it from your MP3 player or whatever, it physically disconnects the audio to the CD player, and instead passes along the signal from your cable. (the CD player must be playing for this to work, even though it's using audio from your MP3 player).

Thread Information