Silver
    98 Trans Am

Anyone ever make a speaker baffle panel in place of the rear cargo panel?

I was thinking you could put a couple 6x9s or something back were the cargo cover panel is. Like make your own out of mdf, and cover it, might also make small enclosure attached to back side. It would sound better than the rear speaker that are already there. Or would this be to close to the stored t tops?

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

You need a panel with a LOT more mass than that if you want to mount a full range speaker there. Otherwise you'll get vibrations/rattles out the ying yang. You can't just go and place something as heavy as a full range speaker in something as flimsy as the rear hatch cargo cover and expect it to sound good. It may add more highs to the overall sound but the bass will be very weak due to the flimsy panel.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

NBM
    99 TA

i put 5x7s in there, that is as big as i would go though.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

i think you should try a set of 4" full ranges. they will do just fine. your sail panels should suffice the bass. If not, get a sub.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by White Rascal
    You need a panel with a LOT more mass than that if you want to mount a full range speaker there. Otherwise you'll get vibrations/rattles out the ying yang. You can't just go and place something as heavy as a full range speaker in something as flimsy as the rear hatch cargo cover and expect it to sound good. It may add more highs to the overall sound but the bass will be very weak due to the flimsy panel.
    I wasnt talking about the stock cover I said make a new one out of mdf or something I would never hack up the stock one.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Should work or you could make it flip up for t top use like the box I have. You should be able to add some sound deadening to the rear panels where the speakers are now and enclose them, would be much easier. I covered my panels in the hatch and took away road noise and there is plenty of room to work with there.

Last edited by rotwiler; 03-27-2006 at 03:48 PM.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

That looks pretty slick! Whats the main cover made of 1/2 3/4?

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

subthump used to sell them for 2, 10 inch subs(think it is 1/2 inch), not sure if it is mdf or not, is pretty solid, the box itself attached to it is mdf, and flips up if I use the T tops and easily removed for the track. It has a set of metal pieces and sits in the place the stock cover in the hatch goes(works just like the stock one). I have taken the panels off in the hatch and that would be the best place to add some speakers if you want them in the hatch. Right now I am running 4 infiity 62.7i's, 1 in each door and 1 in each sailpanel, then I ran the speaker wires from the hatch to the tweeter in the sailpanel to give me highs. I don't miss the hatch speakers not being there at all. You could easily fit a 6x8 in the stock 4inch speaker location and add some sound deadening. I made a enclosure behind the 4inch speakers I had in there out of wire and sound deadening, worked good and was light weight, but now I don't use any speakers back there.

Thread Information