Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Anyone else have a cobra XRS-9730 radar dectector ?

Just got it today....anyone else have one ? how u like it ? whats the range ? i am trying mine out tomorrow

silver
    1998 M6

I've owned a cobra 9210 for a few years now and it's saved my ass enough to pay for itself 10x over. However, it was horribley prone to false alerts on all bands and had zero ability to pick up instant on radar. This wasn't too much of a big deal since I was driving an unmarked 9c1 caprice. No joke, I can't tell you how many cops just waved as I went by. But once I picked up my Formula, I lost about a 110% of my stealthiness and realized that I had to upgrade my detector if I was to enjoy my formula to it's fullest potential. In doing my research, I found an excellent site called radarbusters.com. They also have a forum and it's pretty unanimous that all the Cobra radar detectors are considered to be very low end performers. Top of line is the Bel X65 and Bel 995. I purchased the 995 and was amazed at how well it performed compared to my old Cobra. In fact, I found out that many of the alerts I got from the Cobra was actually the detector leaking r/f then detecting itself! Infact, the Cobra leaks so bad that the Bel will pick it up from almost 8ft away.
    Hope you don't think I'm tryin to dis your Cobra 'cuz like I said, I had one and it worked pretty good, but for another $80 bucks, I couldda bought something that worked 5x better. Hope I could be helpful.
    1998 Firebird Formula M6
    w/free mods.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1verbullet View Post
    I've owned a cobra 9210 for a few years now and it's saved my ass enough to pay for itself 10x over. However, it was horribley prone to false alerts on all bands and had zero ability to pick up instant on radar. This wasn't too much of a big deal since I was driving an unmarked 9c1 caprice. No joke, I can't tell you how many cops just waved as I went by. But once I picked up my Formula, I lost about a 110% of my stealthiness and realized that I had to upgrade my detector if I was to enjoy my formula to it's fullest potential. In doing my research, I found an excellent site called radarbusters.com. They also have a forum and it's pretty unanimous that all the Cobra radar detectors are considered to be very low end performers. Top of line is the Bel X65 and Bel 995. I purchased the 995 and was amazed at how well it performed compared to my old Cobra. In fact, I found out that many of the alerts I got from the Cobra was actually the detector leaking r/f then detecting itself! Infact, the Cobra leaks so bad that the Bel will pick it up from almost 8ft away.
    Hope you don't think I'm tryin to dis your Cobra 'cuz like I said, I had one and it worked pretty good, but for another $80 bucks, I couldda bought something that worked 5x better. Hope I could be helpful.
    i went to the radar busters and other web-sites..bought the bel 995 took it back , also bought the passport 8500 took it back.....so far this cobra very few false alerts.....mine got 3 out of 5 stars on radar busters

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

If you are looking for the cheapest possible detector, go with Cobra... if you want something that works, get the x850 or the bel rx65 or STi.

False-alerts are better than no-alerts... after a few weeks of use, you can tell what's going on...

I can detect cops sometimes 3-4 miles away with my rx65, plus there is a laser jammer accessory that connects up to the detector... hard to beat.

As a general rule-of-thumb... if you can buy it at Best Buy, you probably shouldn't buy it at all.

silver
    1998 M6

Well, I guess like anything else in life, you gotta go with what works for you. Maybe cobra's really gettin' there act together. Mine was about 3 years old.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ScrapMaker View Post
    If you are looking for the cheapest possible detector, go with Cobra... if you want something that works, get the x850 or the bel rx65 or STi.

False-alerts are better than no-alerts... after a few weeks of use, you can tell what's going on...

I can detect cops sometimes 3-4 miles away with my rx65, plus there is a laser jammer accessory that connects up to the detector... hard to beat.

As a general rule-of-thumb... if you can buy it at Best Buy, you probably shouldn't buy it at all.
    mine is the 2nd best cobra has was $179.99......u live in texas hwere the the straights are many miles long....how does it do on curves, hills ???

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

Quote Originally Posted by ls1verbullet View Post
    Well, I guess like anything else in life, you gotta go with what works for you. Maybe cobra's really gettin' there act together. Mine was about 3 years old.
    i will let u know how the range is

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

radartest.com has an in-depth comparison of the Bel rx65, and the x50, along with the aging (crappy) valentine one...

You get what you pay for...

I used to have a cobra 9210 because I couldn't afford a better one... the only feature it had that didn't suck was the RPM-sensing auto-mute... even then, it only worked some of the time...

You ask about range? The article explains it all in detail, but from a regular users point-of-view, I'd say it still does at least 2-3 miles on curvy roads.... Depending on my speed, (typically around 95mph,) I usually know about the cop about a whole minute before I find 'em.

You should probably invest in the all-in-one system with the laser blocker, sense Bel no longer makes the Laserpro905 accessory for the rx65...

The real scare now is the pop radar, or simply a cop with their radar turned off until you come by... not really anything we can do about those situations...

silver
    1998 M6

The real scare now is the pop radar, or simply a cop with their radar turned off until you come by... not really anything we can do about those situations...
    I got nailed with POP a couple of years ago for 45 in a 25. My 9210 never even blipped , luckily I was still in uniform (corrections) and the cop let me go. I've got my 995 programmed for POP on and I've got it set to tech mode so I can actually see the g-hertz frequency of the radar on my display. It amazed me to find out that different cops run different frequencies! The only defense for POP is to let the traffic ahead of you act as your sweeper. A good detector should be able to pick up the stray signal before it's your turn to get locked on.

Black/Black
    2000 Trans Am WS6 A4

Good thing POP is very rare... No one uses it in Texas... leaving POP on just leads to tons of false-alerts...

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

radartest.com has an in-depth comparison of the Bel rx65, and the x50, along with the aging (crappy) valentine one...

I used to have a cobra 9210 because I couldn't afford a better one... the only feature it had that didn't suck was the RPM-sensing auto-mute... even then, it only worked some of the time...

You ask about range? The article explains it all in detail, but from a regular users point-of-view, I'd say it still does at least 2-3 miles on curvy roads.... Depending on my speed, (typically around 95mph,) I usually know about the cop about a whole minute before I find 'em.

You should probably invest in the all-in-one system with the laser blocker, sense Bel no longer makes the Laserpro905 accessory for the rx65...

the latest review I saw was 2005

Just curious, but do you have a link or a site that isnt funded by a radar company (if I recall, radartest and radarbusters is funded by bel) that proves that the Valentine is.."crappy?" The valentine one has proven its worth time and time again.

That shit wouldnt matter on a road with SOME traffic. If youre halling ass down a closed in, but empty street, sure a cop can be anywhere...which is reason enough alone to not haul ass.

An empty field? Another no brainer. Dont haul ass near places these jerk offs can hide.

Other than that, pop radar can and will be detected on any radar if the cop uses it on cars that are ahead of you. Highways are hardly ever deserted, so there will be other cars ahead of you. Let them trigger the cock's radar, so your detector can..well, detect it!

I love my valentine, my friends say they have the $80 cobra and they havent gotten any tickets and i paid $320 more for mine. Well they havent gotten any tickets yet! I remember when i had my cobra ( 1 day, got it for xmas, took it back and upgraded) i came around a very slight turn and I could see the cop before the radar detector could pick it up, finally picked it up at about 100 yards away, enough time for me to slow down that time. But i was going down the same road a couple weeks ago doing easily 20 over and it detected it before the turn and i got it down before I even saw the cop. It also has these arrows that I like bc its even a more sense of security

sped
    I have a Cobra 9700. False alarms like crazy. Also not consistant with picking up signals. Sometimes it'll get em from eight blocks away, other times it'll be a couple seconds after you already saw them.

Thread Information