Any comparable 6 1/2 speakers to the Infinity 62.7i?

Im wondering if there are any other speaker brands out there that are comparable to the Inifinity 62.7i that evreyone praises. Reason im asking is because i have a best buy gift card that i would rather spend on them and i dont think they sell infinity there, i know they sell fosgate and pioneer speakers. I listen to alot of loud Metal

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS6

Spend the gift card on an alpine head unit, then go down the street to a Tweeter and buy a set of Boston Acoustics SX65 coaxials or SX60 components. You can also get them on ebay, I paid $110 shipped for my SX65's

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

If your running everything stock and just changing out the door speakers, the Infinity 62.7i is the only 2ohm 6.5 like stock that is available that requires no modifications. Alpine makes 1 that works too, put requires some modifications to connect the tweeter and is 4ohm. The 62.7i is a direct replacement and set up like the stock Camaro door speakers, if you have a Pontiac and the seperate tweeter, all you have to do is wire the stock tweeter wires into the tweeter input on the 62.7i. The problem you run into with just replacing the speakers is the woofer is 2ohm, so replacing it with a 4ohm would normally reduce output sound unless the speaker is very efficient. Also, components would work, but like I said, the 4ohm would reduce your output and probably not sound as good as stock, plus most compnent sets require more power since theyare normally run off a seperate amp and the Monsoon amp really needs efficient speakers to sound better than stock. The other problem is the Monsoon amp is not very high power/has a lot of distortion and to me it sounds just a little better than a good headunit running the speakers. Your tweeters in your car are powered off your headunit at 4ohm and they will get only as loud as the power that comes out of your headunit. I did notice a difference in how loud the highs are now with a new Kenwood HU. If you find some very efficient 4ohm speakers, you could just wire them to the tweeter wires in the door and forget the set of wires going to the woofer from the monsoon amp, the tweeter wires run direct from your HU and are not crossed over, but I never tried this and wouldn't unless I had a high power HU in and not the stock one. Is a strange setup and a lot of people do not know anything about it, go to upgrade the speakers and find they will not work, then end up buying a amp etc to power them.

If you have a seperate amp running your speakers, then you can buy about any oversize 6.5 set as long as the speaker clears the window when it goes up and down.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 01-29-2006 at 08:10 PM.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

From what i have read the 62.7 is a 2ohm speaker but it is also a 2 way speaker so it has a tweeter. I have also been told the front 6.5 have a high and low cross over which makes them a mid bass speaker so how would these work anyways?

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Sorry just read they have dual inputs correct?

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

The factory door speaker has two inputs-one for the tweeter and one for the woofer.It's already run through a crossover before it gets to the door-that's what's causing all the confusion-the 62.7i's have separate inputs for the tweeter and the woofer also.They come with a crossover that could be used on a different system but is not necessary in the f-body door location.

Silver
    98 Trans Am

Quote Originally Posted by 02z28ls1
    The factory door speaker has two inputs-one for the tweeter and one for the woofer.It's already run through a crossover before it gets to the door-that's what's causing all the confusion-the 62.7i's have separate inputs for the tweeter and the woofer also.They come with a crossover that could be used on a different system but is not necessary in the f-body door location.
    True for Camero but not TA. The TA has two seperate speakers but I guess same info goes. Thanks for the info.

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

Being there are 2 seperate inputs the 62.7i's will work on either car. T/A or Camaro, the Camaro would connect like stock and the T/A would just lose the seperate tweeter and use the one mounted on the 62.7. Infinity also makes a component set that runs at 2ohm, but I never tried them and they are more expensive.
    Last edited by rotwiler; 02-04-2006 at 11:09 PM.

navy blue
    2002 Z-28 Camaro M6

I have to say that I am very happy with the 62.7i s that I bought.It certainly seems to be a good fit with the stock monsoon system.

Grey
    2010 Camaro 2SS/RS CGM

my 62.7i's kick ass, i would definetly recommend them for anyone

Thread Information