Black
    1999 Trans Am M6

Is any aftermarket HU better than stock?

I heard that the distortion caused by the stock HU and amp is enough to blow aftermarket speakers eventually. I have an aftermarket HU, its made by Dual and it's a year or so old, but it's in another car. Would it be worth replacing the stock HU for this purpose?
    1999 Trans Am M6
    SLP Short Throw, Lid and CAI, Strano Springs, Koni Sport Shocks, BMR STB and SFC, UMI PHB, Pacesetter LT's and ORY, Magnaflow Catback, DMH 3" E-Cutout, LS7 Clutch, Motive 4.10, 160 T-Stat, MSD wires,, 17x9.5 Chrome C6's wrapped in Hankook 275/40/17

Tuned at Mongillo Motors in New Haven, CT - 303 RWHP and 308 RWTQ

LT's, 3400 stall, FIPK,CB
    2002 Z28

I feel a nice aftermarket hu makes a difference.... I never owned a dual, so have no idea on how they sound.. I noticed a difference when I added a Kenwood, but it had adjustments for cutoff points on the stock speakers and that improved sound since I could stop the really low signals from causing the stock speakers to distort, plus being able to use the EQ etc...
    Last edited by rotwiler; 12-05-2006 at 03:08 PM.

SGM
    1998 Trans Am WS6

My car came with an aftermarket Alpine headunit when I bought it, so I don't know how the stock one sounds. The Alpine was old as hell and couldn't play burned CDs though, so I replaced it with a Dual CD770 for $149.

It has a motorized face, blue illumination, iPod hookup, it plays MP3 and WMA CDs, and it has all the usual adjustments for bass, treble, balance, sound mode, effects, ect. It also has a big rubberized volume knob in the center, which I like, because I hate the units that have the tiny buttons that are hard to find and even harder to use.

As for sound quality, I think it sounds very good and its plenty loud when you crank it up. Never heard any distortion either, regardless of volume. I still have the stock Monsoon system speakers, but the rear speakers run off a JBL amp, so they have enough juice.

Thread Information