blue
    1998 trans am

Antenna does not go down anymore...

I have not checked the price of a new one from GM yet, I thought I would post here first...

My 98 T/A antenna does not retract anymore (I can hear the motor trying to go up and down), did the plastic cable inside it break, like on my wifes Forerunner (I could hear it trying to work, just no movement, like the T/A). It cost $57 from Toyota and was easy to replace, it took five minutes without any tools...

Or,

Do I have to replace the motor unit inside the qurter panel...

Black
    99 Z28

I have a woman like that too... Happened right after I married her. WTF is up with that?

Anyway, I think that most likely you'll end up needing to replace the antenna and the motor inside the quarter panel. It shouldn't be too difficult.

If you need a new one shop around - believe the PN is 10402859 - worked when I looked it up at gmpartsdirect.

blue
    1998 trans am

Thats the P/N , $77.63, I can handle that...

Thanks...

Silver
    98 Trans Am

is this a hard piece to replace I am having the same problem. Do you get it from under the car or where?

blue
    1998 trans am

It takes about a halk hour to replace it, at the most...

Remove the spare tire cover, spare tire and jack...

One wiring connector, a nut or two, (I forget) and pull it down through the grommet (the grommet stays on the quarter panel)...

I had to swap mount brackets, since the one that came with the antenna, was different.

Its an easy job, and the antenna works as it should, again...

N/A nitrously aspirated stangslayer98's Avatar

black
    1998 trans am

unplug and forget like i did...of course the trade of is that you will hear three stations.....who listens to the radio when you got a v8 and LT's anyway

1999 Chevy Camaro

Shit! Easy as pie.... mmm pie! ...Anyway. Just buy a power antena motor on ebay for like 30 bucks.

Remove the old antena, but keep the rubber peice in place. Throw away those plastic ones they send you, don't work. Found that out the hard way . Use a dremmel to widen it a little so that the PA can be snug but also move up through the hole. Now tighten the bolt on the top so that it can dangle, but not move. Now take the metal brace it came with and bend it so that it can attach to the old holes of the old antena and reach the bottom of the new one. Don't connect it yet. Now unwrap the huge amont of wires in the black loom, running past that area. Now connect the regular hot wire (I think it is the blue wire) to the orange wire in the loom. And connect the red wire to a REALLY long feet of wire your going to run to your dash. Now run that wire to the front under all the plastic and behind to your stereo. Now you need to purchase some 25 Pin D-Sub Female connectors. You only need one, but they sell you like a dozen or so. Now sodder the wire to this connector and stick it in the third one from the left on the back of your stereo. Now go back to the trunk and attach the black wire to that screw that goes into the bottom of the PA and attach it to that peice of metal brace. Thats it! Now turn on the car and see if it works. If not email me and I'll try to trouble shoot.

One more thing. In case your PA stops working remove the stupid fuse they put on the wire and just connect the two wires together. I had this problem a few months after install. The plastic cracked and the fuse wasn't making a connection. So after trying everything, I just removed the damn thing. I figure if the power shorts it, for thirty bucks, I can get another .

Heres mine . Takes about an hour for a first timer. I could probably do it again in about half that.

For a site that helped me, go to here.

More instructions that came with my unit.

And a place to purchase the same one I got.

Hope this helps!

Rob

red
    04 pontiac gto

im having the same problem but mine is frozen half way up so it doesnt move.i dont listen to radio at all since i either use my ipod or satelite,i just want the dam thing to go down,why replace something if your never gonna use it,so if i can get it to go down ill be all set,any thoughts on how to acheive this?

red
    04 pontiac gto

by the way nice post but i dont think you understand his or my problem.your guide is for soemone who doesnt have a power antenna.problem here is we have one but it stopped working thanks anyway though

blue
    1998 trans am

firebird99,

I have the old power antanna out in the garage, on the floor, so I can take a look at it for you, maybe I can figure out how to make ot go down and stay down....

I will get back to you later today...

red
    04 pontiac gto

ty i will be waiting for your reply

1999 Chevy Camaro

Quote Originally Posted by firebird99
    by the way nice post but i dont think you understand his or my problem.your guide is for soemone who doesnt have a power antenna.problem here is we have one but it stopped working thanks anyway though
    Yeah I just grabed this from a previous post,... some people don't search. I also show where to get one and how it's hooked up.

Rob

blue
    1998 trans am

You might be able to pull the antenna of/out without takind anything apart, try this first...

If it does come off/out, fully compress it and cutt off the plastic cable, and slip it back on the car, and push in/down flush...

You could always remove the power antenna from the car, then do what I just discribed, then put it back on the car...

Would not take more than 30 minutes or so...

blue
    1998 trans am

heres a pic...

Thread Information