Thread: Amp Locations

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

Cool Amp Locations

Where have you people mounted your amps for speakers or subs?

Feel free to post pictures!!

white
    04 2500 4x4 crew cab

I bolted mine directly to the underside of the rear cargo divider. Then I can flip it up, and load groceries,etc. Works great.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

i'll need to get you some pics.... still a work in progress... but a sexy work in progress...

come to think of it... lemme check my photobucket.

yup.... not finished... but the pics of the install

in the next pic the amps are sitting on the passenger seat of my saturn. i tested them using the wiring and stereo in that car to make sure they worked about a week or two before i actually installed them in my hawk

I still have to hide the wires as they are a big ol mess right now.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

This was in my 96 Camaro. Took me about 2 hrs to make and about $10 worth of material.

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

Quote Originally Posted by LSCyaL8R View Post
    i'll need to get you some pics.... still a work in progress... but a sexy work in progress...

come to think of it... lemme check my photobucket.

yup.... not finished... but the pics of the install

Click for full size

Click for full size

in the next pic the amps are sitting on the passenger seat of my saturn. i tested them using the wiring and stereo in that car to make sure they worked about a week or two before i actually installed them in my hawk
    Click for full size

I still have to hide the wires as they are a big ol mess right now.
    Click for full size

Click for full size

Click for full size
    Tearing up a pretty nice ride there. I hope the installation goes well!

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

Quote Originally Posted by 35th-ANV-SS View Post
    This was in my 96 Camaro. Took me about 2 hrs to make and about $10 worth of material.

Click for full size
    So... Where is it now!?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I sold the car a few months back. I still have all of the amps, rack, and box with subs. I left the Kenwood Excelon and Polk Component sets in the car when I sold it. I've thought about putting it into the 35th LE SS, but I dunno.

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

I sold the car a few months back. I still have all of the amps, rack, and box with subs. I left the Kenwood Excelon and Polk Component sets in the car when I sold it. I've thought about putting it into the 35th LE SS, but I dunno.
    I'll get it off your hands for you...

I made this post becuase i got rid of my subs soley because I didnt think I could find a set up that would work for my camaro, but this set up looks clean and I bet it sounded pretty good?

If not, would you mind sharing the diminsions with me...?

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by Mahalik View Post
    I'll get it off your hands for you...

I made this post becuase i got rid of my subs soley because I didnt think I could find a set up that would work for my camaro, but this set up looks clean and I bet it sounded pretty good?

If not, would you mind sharing the diminsions with me...?
    You'll take what off my hands exactly?

It sounded pretty awesome honestly. The Autotek SS amps were 225w each and each sub had its own amp. The MTX Pro504 amp in the middle was a four channel 400w amp that powered the component sets up front and the 6-1/2" Polks in the sail panels.

I've heard cars with amps pushing anywhere from 500w-1000w to each sub and I can tell you that my car hit just as hard as those with only 225w to each sub. It's all about the quality, RMS, equalizer to filter out the frequencies, and matching your amp to your sub you choose.

For the amp rack all I did was measure the width I wanted it and the depth. The height of it was dictated by how tall my amps were. I then laid it out with a piece of poster board and cut it, along with the square holes in it for the amps. Bought some plywood and indoor/outdoor carpet from Menards that matched my interior and glued/stapled the carpet to the plywood. The tricky part was folding the carpet over the square holes where the amps go. That took a little bit of finesse and figuring out to do.

The amp rack itself is more like a cover. It has no bottom to it. It lifts right off the amps. The amps themselves were mounted to a piece of board I put under the carpet in the car. I used self-tapping screws to secure the board into the car. You can't use really long screws though because your gas tank is under there.

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

You'll take what off my hands exactly?

It sounded pretty awesome honestly. The Autotek SS amps were 225w each and each sub had its own amp. The MTX Pro504 amp in the middle was a four channel 400w amp that powered the component sets up front and the 6-1/2" Polks in the sail panels.

I've heard cars with amps pushing anywhere from 500w-1000w to each sub and I can tell you that my car hit just as hard as those with only 225w to each sub. It's all about the quality, RMS, equalizer to filter out the frequencies, and matching your amp to your sub you choose.

For the amp rack all I did was measure the width I wanted it and the depth. The height of it was dictated by how tall my amps were. I then laid it out with a piece of poster board and cut it, along with the square holes in it for the amps. Bought some plywood and indoor/outdoor carpet from Menards that matched my interior and glued/stapled the carpet to the plywood. The tricky part was folding the carpet over the square holes where the amps go. That took a little bit of finesse and figuring out to do.

The amp rack itself is more like a cover. It has no bottom to it. It lifts right off the amps. The amps themselves were mounted to a piece of board I put under the carpet in the car. I used self-tapping screws to secure the board into the car. You can't use really long screws though because your gas tank is under there.
    Thanks! This might end up being a little project I'll do over christmas break, depending if i want to put subs back in my car or not.

Although, i currently have an amp for my door speakers i'm thinking about putting in. If i dont make a set up like yours I'll probably just mount the amp between the t-tops (if they were in the back) and the area under the t-top cover. The amp is pretty small and should fit.

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Thanks! This might end up being a little project I'll do over christmas break, depending if i want to put subs back in my car or not.

Although, I currently have an amp for my door speakers i'm thinking about putting in. If i dont make a set up like yours I'll probably just mount the amp between the t-tops (if they were in the back) and the area under the t-top cover. The amp is pretty small and should fit.
    No problem. If you want, I can take a picture of the amp rack/cover for you to give you a better idea of what it actually looks like. It's sitting in my basement. It was mainly made to just make the install look clean and hide all of the wires going everywhere. When I lifted it off, you could see the mess of wires running everywhere.

The box for the subs were just your standard custom hatchback box I bought from an audio store.

I always had intentions of going BIG with a system and crazy install...but then I found another expensive hobby that I enjoyed more

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

No problem. If you want, I can take a picture of the amp rack/cover for you to give you a better idea of what it actually looks like. It's sitting in my basement. It was mainly made to just make the install look clean and hide all of the wires going everywhere. When I lifted it off, you could see the mess of wires running everywhere.

The box for the subs were just your standard custom hatchback box I bought from an audio store.

I always had intentions of going BIG with a system and crazy install...but then I found another expensive hobby that I enjoyed more
    Yeah, I'm trying to keep things cheap now. I have plans to place a LQ4 or LS7 in my car in about 2 years, being 16 right now I dont have many options as far as jobs, and I'll have to start paying for my double major in engineering fairly soon too...

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

Yeah, I'm trying to keep things cheap now. I have plans to place a LQ4 or LS7 in my car in about 2 years, being 16 right now I dont have many options as far as jobs, and I'll have to start paying for my double major in engineering fairly soon too...
    I graduated with my bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. Not sure what type of engineer you want to be, but mechanical usually results in the easiest type to find a job. I do OK (by my standards). I just finished my Master's in Business last December. Eventually want to make the transition from engineering to business so I can make even more.

Good luck with school!

Black
    2001 Camaro - A4

I graduated with my bachelor's in Mechanical Engineering. Not sure what type of engineer you want to be, but mechanical usually results in the easiest type to find a job. I do OK (by my standards). I just finished my Master's in Business last December. Eventually want to make the transition from engineering to business so I can make even more.

Good luck with school!
    Thanks! I'm hopefully going to Colorado for school, I'd like to get my degrees in mining and petroleum engineering.

Red
    1998 Camaro Z28

mine is mounted where the spare tire would be

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 T/A Firehawk M6

ha ha.... yeah i don't have pics of the finished product but it was a one day install. I never took pics because i never hid the wires. why take pics of a mess right? but i retained my T-top well. I thump something like 800 watts RMS... don't remember off hand. It's not a super loud system. it's mostly SQ stuff. at moderate levels it sounds strong and clear. i get lots of compliments. I'm sure some tuning and a little rattle hunting and sound deadening would make it scream

Red
    02 35th LE Camaro SS

I had sound deadening material in my hatch/trunk area. It makes a BIG difference.

1998 Firebird Formula

on my formula i've got them on the flat part of the trunk and they are mounted to a thick sheet of plywood that i routed out for the wires to lay flat.
    On my 99 TA vert i have built a bracket to mount them on the underside of the trunk lid.
    If you want pics just ask.

white/Black
    1999 Pontiac Firebird

mine mouted on wheel whale centered pics of it in my forum Stereo pics in the stero section....

Thread Information