Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

Alternator going?

Okay, I have two small RF Punch amps in my car, and they've been in there for two years with no problems on stock alternator and battery. Now about a month ago, I replaced my "dying" battery with and Optima Red Top with no problems. Now the other day I was sitting in a drive-thru (in drive, with my foot on the brake) and noticed my voltage gauge dip well into the yellow and then my speedometer start creeping up and all to 40mph, and then came back down. My tach did the same as well. I'm also hearing that annoying engine noise in my speakers now after never having that problem, and this morning on my way to work, backing out of the driveway, pressed my brake and heard a "pop" come through the speakers, every time i hit them. Also sitting still at a red light with my AC on, when the fans kick on, the volts go all the way down to the yellow. I suspect that the Alternator is going, but if it is, how much is a replacement, any suggestions on brand or amps, and how hard is it to change? Thanks for your help guys.
    98 T/A A4 SLP lid, K&N, FRA, Flowmaster, Hotckis STB,SFC
    2007 Trailblazer SS AWD

Black
    01 Trans Am

Well I haven't had to replace mine on this car yet but I'll give you some advice. Don't get a reman, and don't get any type of electrical part from autozone or oreilley's. Use napa or find another place online that sells them. Maybe some of the LS1.com sponsers sell alternators? Since I haven't changed mine I can't tell you if its easy or not but it LOOKS like it wouldn't be too bad if you can get the car up on some ramps. Seems to me like you just drop it out from the bottom and slip the new one back in. You can take the car or just the alternator to autozone and have them check it just don't buy one there. I think your looking anywhere from 150-250 bucks, some are pricey, some aren't. Maybe someone who has actually bought one will correct me.

Black
    1998 Trans Am, 2007 TB SS

Changed it yesterday. Just took it to a shop and had them test it for me. Volts were all the way down to 11.8. They ordered me an A/C delco one for 187 and put it on for about 30 bucks. Spent about $200 for everything, so that wasn't so bad. Thanks for your help.

Thread Information