Black
    2005 GTO

8in sub replacment in sailpanel

About 2 years ago now I got adventrous and decided to put 8in subs into the sailpanel. I went cheap to start just because It was something new and I searched and did not find anyone that had done it so I went with some $13 pyrmid subs and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-083this amp. Well I have since blown 2 sets of these sub's who would've seen that one coming $13 subs blowing. Anyways does anyone have any suggestion on replacement that would work well with that amp I have? I'm not look for earth shaking bass but I still like a little bass to my music. I would like to stay under $100 a piece and If I remember correct they can't have more than a 4in mounting depth without having to do more cutting.

Thanks
    Jon

Black
    2005 GTO

Ha Ha I deserve that slap.

It was really all just a test run trying to get everything setup. When the first pair blew I was straped for money so I just got another set. Now I've got some money and would like some decent speakers and maybe a new amp as well.

Another question. What would be good to stuff behind the speaker in the wheel well. There is really know way to get a box or at least a proper size box in there. I was thinking of just stuffing some sound deadner foam or something would that help how it sounds? A box would be Ideal but like I said there is no way to get one in there. Basically the speaker has the whole whell for the bass to bounce around in which just does't seem good.

Black
    2005 GTO

I know about those stealth boxes but my speakers are in the sailpanel and thats where I want to keep them.

Black
    2005 GTO

The sailpanel is the speakers right behind the front seats. There normal 6 1/2 but I put 8's in there.

Compulsive F bomb dropper sgt0704's Avatar

silver
    1998 Z28

i have jl 8w0's in my sail panels.

Black
    2005 GTO

How do you like those and what amp are you using?

silver
    1998 Z28

i love them. just make sure your panels sit right when you put them back on and they're secure, or you'll get a little rattling from the panel. i'm currently using a jensen 4 channel amp. it's the new black one. :flame suit ready: it's 130 bucks, and is cea rated. so i said wtf. however, since the amp is powering everything it's not as great at high levels as i would like.

but i plan to get a 2ch jensen amp in the near future. 70 bucks from the store. to push the subs only. for not having to buy a stealth box and a ten. it's great. it's not earth shattering on the outside, but sounds delicious on the inside.

plus, i got my jl's for 50 bucks on ebay.

wheee?

Primer is Finer
    1969 Chevy Nova

Quote Originally Posted by sgt0704 View Post
    i have jl 8w0's in my sail panels.
    how did you fit an 8" speaker into a 6.5" location?

Black
    2005 GTO

I just got out the dremel and made the hole bigger.
    05 PBM GTO
    Cold Air Inductions CAI,
    Relocated IAT with omega,
    Slp Predator tune,
    Flowmaster axle back with H pipe,
    Custom tuned TCM.
    BC Racing coil overs

Sold 01 z28

silver
    1998 Z28

post some pics of your install.

Black
    2005 GTO

These are the only two pics I've got. I'm thinking of making something out of wood to help support the speaker. I'm not sure how to explain it but I have the idea. I would take a few peices of wood and make a square on the inside and out side of the existing hole to help support the flimsy sheet metal. I would have the wooden square larger than the hole probably about 10in or so to help support the hole better. Then on the outer wooden square place a piece of speaker building wood over it then cut out a 8in hole. I'm not sure if any of that makes sense but like I said I have the idea once I finnaly get around to doing it and getting some better subs/amp I'll post pics of the whole process.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2000 Camaro Z-28 SS

Do you know the depth on those? I have two 8" polk momo's I am wanting to put in there.

tan
    2000 Camaro

these will make ya happy http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshow...number=264-854

And did u seal off the inside of the sail panel b4 u put the 8" sub in or did u just stick em in and go?

Black on Black
    2000 Trans Am Ws6

Quote Originally Posted by JonB View Post
    About 2 years ago now I got adventrous and decided to put 8in subs into the sailpanel. I went cheap to start just because It was something new and I searched and did not find anyone that had done it so I went with some $13 pyrmid subs and http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showd...number=265-083this amp. Well I have since blown 2 sets of these sub's who would've seen that one coming $13 subs blowing. Anyways does anyone have any suggestion on replacement that would work well with that amp I have? I'm not look for earth shaking bass but I still like a little bass to my music. I would like to stay under $100 a piece and If I remember correct they can't have more than a 4in mounting depth without having to do more cutting.

Thanks
    Jon
    Actually there is two companies who make flat piston driven 8inch subs so very shallow mounting but still very good response from them.
    Audiobahn--alluminum flat piston sub
    Prescion Power inc(ppi)-- flat piston sub

Thread Information