Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Black
    1998 Camaro Z28 vert

6.5 in subs in sail panel

Ok so i was tryin to come up with an idea on how to mount subs in my car to get some better bass. its a vert so space isnt exactly plentiful and i really dont wanna add the extra weight with a box in the trunkso i was thinkin of getin 6.5 in the sail panel location. i already have infinity components in the doors and i want more bass. would this work and be a fairly decent way to put subs in my car or is this idea complete garbage?

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by rsg98Z28 View Post
    Ok so i was tryin to come up with an idea on how to mount subs in my car to get some better bass. its a vert so space isnt exactly plentiful and i really dont wanna add the extra weight with a box in the trunkso i was thinkin of getin 6.5 in the sail panel location. i already have infinity components in the doors and i want more bass. would this work and be a fairly decent way to put subs in my car or is this idea complete garbage?
    I've wondered the same thing. No matter how good they sound, they can't be as good as my single 12. Anybody ever heard both, what are the differences?

always dirty
    2013 Ram 2014 Caddy ATS

The problem you might run into is clearance. You are limited on the depth because of the top mechanism. Also being that the backside of the speaker is open you get less bass anyway.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

see my thread up top about installing the eu700's http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36813

I've had 2x10s at 500w and of course these will not compare. BUT they will sound deeper and handle a lot better than stock on the stock system. Only way to make them pound more is to amp them, however the plastic sail panels will rattle a lot with those little guys bumping underneath them.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Quote Originally Posted by third_shift|studios View Post
    see my thread up top about installing the eu700's http://www.ls1.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36813

I've had 2x10s at 500w and of course these will not compare. BUT they will sound deeper and handle a lot better than stock on the stock system. Only way to make them pound more is to amp them, however the plastic sail panels will rattle a lot with those little guys bumping underneath them.
    What about padding it up with some foam or something? Surely those covers could be made to stop rattling. I might ask for a set of these for xmas or something.

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by rsg98Z28 View Post
    I installed Kicker CVT 6.5's in the sail panels. Pretty good bass. I also have infinity kappas on the doors but the system seems to be lacking midrange now. But anyway yeah the 6.5's have decent thump but of course not like an amped 10 or 12.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    What about padding it up with some foam or something? Surely those covers could be made to stop rattling. I might ask for a set of these for xmas or something.
    that could work!

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

When you guys say they thump, unlike an amped 10 or 12, does that refer to the thump of an 8 kinda? I know 15's are famous for not pounding your seat and my current 12 is poorly setup but do the 6.5's thump, moving air and not so much the insanely deep bass noise or is it 'good bass' as in the sound and not so much the vibration spinning cups around in your cupholder?

Black
    2002 Z28

Quote Originally Posted by richard head View Post
    When you guys say they thump, unlike an amped 10 or 12, does that refer to the thump of an 8 kinda? I know 15's are famous for not pounding your seat and my current 12 is poorly setup but do the 6.5's thump, moving air and not so much the insanely deep bass noise or is it 'good bass' as in the sound and not so much the vibration spinning cups around in your cupholder?
    I don't have any problems with things vibrating and/or rattling, but I may not listen as loud as someone else. I have to keep the bass on my monsoon at about 9 o'clock so it doesn't over power the mids. "Good bass" is rather subjective. For me personally it's how tight the bass response is. The 6.5's move enough air, but I think a more powerful amp and better enclosure provide a tighter sound. I believe (and someone please correct me if I'm mistaken) it's called the transient power of the amp. Not just the ability to push the speaker but to pull it back quickly so the sounds are crisp. Although the factory amp is supposedly 500 watts my understanding is that it's the same amp that in earlier models was rated at 200 watts and the increased rating was a marketing ploy.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Yeah, well I'll be using an aftermarket amp so we won't have to worry about powering issues and I'll foam it up so tight we won't have rattles but I do like to get quality, deep bass and I want it to bounce me around a little. 2 6.5 subs probably won't move enough air to satisfy me - or will they? How do they compare to the stock speakers in the stock setup, do they just blow them away? What about cars these days that come stock with 'good' stereo systems, are these subs better than the top-of-the-line stereo in my gf's camry? If so, I'm in.

Navy Blue Metallic
    2002 Camaro SS

I went with the Elemental Designs subs as well -- they have a new model number now -- 7kv.2. They are a substantial upgrade from the stock sail panel speakers and are effective at adding quality low end to the stock system. I used the install guide as noted above -- I used foam board (from an arts and crafts store) to help with the mounting and I covered the paneling with Dynomat to help reduce vibrations. The bass is clean, crisp and surprisingly deep for it's modest 6.5" size -- however it doesn't compare to an amped high quality 10" or 12" sub.

If you're looking to rock the place and ultimate sound is your goal, replace the factory head unit and pick up a single 12" sub, 1 farad capacitor and a quality mono amp. However, if you're simply looking to add quality lows to the stock sound system, these should be a great fit (especially at only $110 for the pair).
    2002 Camaro SS M6, 2.5 PRC 5.3L heads, TFS 228/230 cam, FAST 92, bolt ons + a 10 lb bottle in the back.

1989 Corvette L98, A4, Full bolt ons, etc.

Black/Black
    '00 Firebird WS6 T/A

Thank you, Midnight! That's about what I was looking to hear. I currently have a single 12" but the box is incorrect and the fit is off, so I was trying to decide whether to replace the box or put it in the GF's car and just go with some lighter 6.5" subs. Still haven't made up my mind but I think I know what I could expect from either now.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Will these work in the sails without any tweaking? I just want an upgrade that I can hook right up and walk away from

https://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_11395.html

Thanks

Maroon
    2000 Z28 LS6, LT,ORY

I run those speakers in my car. You can find them alot cheaper if you keep looking around $60 each and not on ebay! I am very satisfied with there sound they have decent bass not like a 12 but I am very please with them They also fit perfect make sure you get the 2 ohm version if you running a camaro with the monsoon amp. Good Luck

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by BKDZ28 View Post
    I run those speakers in my car. You can find them alot cheaper if you keep looking around $60 each and not on ebay! I am very satisfied with there sound they have decent bass not like a 12 but I am very please with them They also fit perfect make sure you get the 2 ohm version if you running a camaro with the monsoon amp. Good Luck
    Thanks . Yeah, I found them for $64 after I bought them.

Figures...

But, they are the 2 ohm and since they are a distributor, I'll have the warranty.

Thanks again

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

where did u find those for $64? i am finding them in the $98-$110 range.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    where did u find those for $64? i am finding them in the $98-$110 range.
    Here ya go

http://www.techronics.com/index.cfm?...FQMCagodjGdAGA

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    thanks. they have a lotta good deals there compared to crutchfield or those other online places.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    thanks. they have a lotta good deals there compared to crutchfield or those other online places.
    Yeah... too bad I found it after the fact!

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Yeah... too bad I found it after the fact!
    true... but if u still have to replace ur other speakers or the head unit u can save money there...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information