WHITE
    2000 SS CAMARO

2000 SS Camaro electric window switch?

i just bought a 2000 ss camaro and the windows move real slow then stop if i wait a while and try again the window will move a little. I am wanting to fix this. The guy i bought it from said i need a new switch. Has anyone had this same situation and fixed it? Is it the actual switch on the panel or is it a window motor issue, or is there another switch behind the panel? Any help would be appreciated thanks

WHITE
    2000 SS CAMARO

by the way both the driver side and the passenger side windows do the same thing not matter what switch you use (driver side or passenger side door)

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Sounds more like your motor, as they are a common issue with our cars. An under sized, under powered, under wired peice of crap. GM spent all the money for engineering on these cars on the motor and almost no where else, lol. I wouldn't roll them down again, you can end up like me and have the motor die on you while the window is only half way up.

You could try the window fix, by autotrix (I can't link you to them anymore), or replace a motor and see if that fixes the issue. But even with the wiring fix, your motors are still most likely shot.

If you decide to replace the window motor by buying one at your local auto parts store, you'll most likely end up with a re-manufactured piece of garbage. Even though they offer a lifetime warranty with them, you still could benefit from having the window fix as well. You can find an OEM motor, but your going to pay a high price for those.

Good habits will prolong the life of the motor when you replace it. By that, I mean roll one window up or down at a time and do it while the motor is running. A lack of current is what kills these motors, so this crappy wiring and low voltage (when the car off your at ~12V, where running it's at ~14V) shorten the life of these motors.

WHITE
    2000 SS CAMARO

thanks man i appreciate the knowledgable reply. is there a way i could test the switch or motor by using my multi meter?

Sebring Silver
    1998 Chevy Camaro Z28

Yes it is definitely the window motor. I and many others have had that exactsame problem. If you are looking to replace it by yourself, make sure you have some GM panel removers and a drill gun to drill the rivets out. Also make sure the window is halfway down and not going to fall when you pull the motor out. Something you can do over the weekend I wouldnt bother testing the motor as I am 99% sure. Easy fix.

Custom Swirly Black
    2001 WS6 M6

Quote Originally Posted by LDENNO View Post
    thanks man i appreciate the knowledgable reply. is there a way i could test the switch or motor by using my multi meter?
    If it can test for continuity, then yes.

Thread Information