Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

12 Disc Delco CD Changer

Ok… so, I buy this 12 disc CD changer off of ebay for $35. Says he doesn’t know if it works or not, but that it did when he took it out of his 97 Camaro a few years ago.

So, I figure for $35 I’ll check it out.

I hook it up and the motor just grinds through the gears. The Magazine is stuck and won’t budge. I finally gave up on it.

Well, today I decided to take the thing apart and see what’s up with it. And, that’s just what I did. Magazine totally jammed in there. But, I did finally manage to get it out. It seems as though a single CD was stuck. Pushed it back and it popped out.

I blow off the boards with a can of PerfectDuster and wipe down everything else with alcohol pads. Put it back together and throw in a CD and plug it in.

Well, now the magazine pops in and out like it is supposed to, only now I hear the motor going over each CD (12 clicks) and then after the twelfth… I get a ERR code on the head unit.

Could this be because it is an older model and my head unit just isn’t picking it up correctly or is it something else?

Any help is appreciated.

None

Sounds very possible!
    That is the only option, that I do not have. Planning
    ahead, my NOS bottle is there!

Sound of Speed, I love music alot!

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Yeah, I wish I knew someone with a 97 so I could see if it worked for them.

If it's just an incompatibility issue with my head unit and it works... I'd like to resell it on ebay.

I need to know if it works first though.

Yes a 97 unit will work fine in any other later model year. My wifes 97 had the changer,,,when it was totalled I pulled it out and have had it in my 02. Bought another out of a 99 4th gen and stuck that in my wifes 2000.

They should all interchange just fine.

When you first plug it in,,,,it is normal for it to go through all 12 CD cartridges before it starts playing.

Make sure you have the CD's in "UPSIDE DOWN" ,,,,,if not you will set an error code. I know it sounds simple but I've seen that before.
    There could be other issues that set error codes as well.
    When I got an error code I have always cured that by simply taking it apart for a good cleaning. I know you have already done that.

If I remember right I thought it had the capability to tell you the code.

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Yes a 97 unit will work fine in any other later model year. My wifes 97 had the changer,,,when it was totalled I pulled it out and have had it in my 02. Bought another out of a 99 4th gen and stuck that in my wifes 2000.

When you first plug it in,,,,it is normal for it to go through all 12 CD cartridges before it starts playing.

Make sure you have the CD's in "UPSIDE DOWN" ,,,,,if not you will set an error code. I know it sounds simple but I've seen that before.
    When I got an error code I have always cured that by simply taking it apart for a good cleaning. I know you have already done that.

so wait..... u r supposed to install the CD's upside down? as in shiny side up? im having the same problem with my changer it has never worked but i install the cd's with the labels facing up like in any normal cd player.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Hmm. Yep, all CD's with printed side down as it says. And, I've let it cycle through several times. Opening the door, popping out the magazine and putting it back in. Pressing the button on the Head Unit. It shows CD, but as soon as it cycles through the ERR code shows on the HU.

I've got 3 CD's in there now. Same thing.

I dunno

I'll just keep messing with it I guess.

Thanks

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Quote Originally Posted by Siciliano15 View Post
    so wait..... u r supposed to install the CD's upside down? as in shiny side up? im having the same problem with my changer it has never worked but i install the cd's with the labels facing up like in any normal cd player.
    I did notice after I finally got the magazine out while cleaning it that it does say to put the label side down

ha ha
    04 C5 A4 Torch Red - sold
    2009 CTS4 Ice Black - sold
    2013 1500 Silverado Z71 - sold
    02 Z/28 M6 Onyx Black All Options - Sold

2014 Caddy CTS4 - DD
    2016 Silverado 2500HD
    2020 Caddy XT6
    2020 2SS Vert

Black
    1998 Trans Am WS-6

oooooooo shit lol i put the cd's all upside down and the changer works hahaha. im so happy but i feel like such a freakin dumbass. i was about to go buy a new changer too im sure glad i didnt. never owned a cd changer before so i figured they would just go in face down like any ordinary cd player..... never really thought about it haha.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

oooooooo shit lol i put the cd's all upside down and the changer works hahaha. im so happy but i feel like such a freakin dumbass. i was about to go buy a new changer too im sure glad i didnt. never owned a cd changer before so i figured they would just go in face down like any ordinary cd player..... never really thought about it haha.
    That was one of the first things I noticed when I got the magazine loose. I took out all the slides to clean it out and thought it was interesting that CD's went in there up side down.

It says so right on the slides

Yes the CD's go face down, or the label's facing down. Otherwise it will set an error code.
    I know it sounds strange, it's just how these things work.

Quote Originally Posted by KahanaReef View Post
    Hmm. Yep, all CD's with printed side down as it says. And, I've let it cycle through several times. Opening the door, popping out the magazine and putting it back in. Pressing the button on the Head Unit. It shows CD, but as soon as it cycles through the ERR code shows on the HU.

I've got 3 CD's in there now. Same thing.

I dunno

I'll just keep messing with it I guess.

Thanks
    I'll have to check, I thought there was a way to read the codes so as to narrow down the problem.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I'll have to check, I thought there was a way to read the codes so as to narrow down the problem.
    That would great. But, all it shows is ERR... No actual code

But, other than that... it seems to be in working order. Or, at least it's going through the motion

I don't know if it matters or not, but my HU is the cassette HU. And, I usually use my Zune in my car. But, sometimes I forget it and would like to have some CDs in there for when I do.

That would great. But, all it shows is ERR... No actual code

But, other than that... it seems to be in working order. Or, at least it's going through the motion

I don't know if it matters or not, but my HU is the cassette HU. And, I usually use my Zune in my car. But, sometimes I forget it and would like to have some CDs in there for when I do.
    I remember reading it in the factory GM manual,,,I think you hold down a couple of the buttons at the same time and it will flash a code.
    I'll have to find my books, since I've moved most everything is in boxes out in the garage.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

I remember reading it in the factory GM manual,,,I think you hold down a couple of the buttons at the same time and it will flash a code.
    I'll have to find my books, since I've moved most everything is in boxes out in the garage.
    Huh... I wonder if that's it. I have to admit that I've already been on a button pushing frenzy Having to press two simultaneously sounds logical.

I can't find any manuals online anywhere.

And, I guess this changer was put out in Nov 96 according to the stamp on the back of it. Probably makes no difference as I am sure that plenty of 97 cars were equipped with them.

If you happen to come across the manual... that would be great. But, don't go to any trouble. I'll do a little searching and see if I can find anything else.

Thanks for your help

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Well, I did find this. However, mine keeps coming up with 'Err' ??? And, I haven't found anything that says to push two buttons simultaneously. So, maybe it's my HU???

CD Changer Errors
    E30 : Focus Error
    Cause: The CD player cannot focus on the disc or there is an internal focus problem.
    Correction: Try cleaning the disc or using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly (label side down). The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

E31 : Tracking Error
    Cause: There is a problem with reading the disc.
    Correction: Try cleaning the disc or try using a new disc. Make sure the disc is loaded correctly (label side down). The road could be too rough or there is too much humidity. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

E32 : Motor Error
    Cause: The CD motor is not handling the compact disc properly or defective magazine mounting screws are interfering with the mechanism.
    Correction: Reload the magazine. If there is still a problem, replace the magazine. If the problem continues, back out the mounting screws. If the condition is corrected, replace the screws with shorter screws or add washers to the existing screws. If this condition still exists, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

E33 : CD Changer Communication Error
    Cause: There is a vehicle/radio communication problem or internal radio communication problem.
    Correction: Disconnect battery voltage to the radio and then reconnect after a few minutes. If there is still an error, determine if the problem is with the radio, the harness or the changer. Inspect for correct voltage at all connectors. If there is still an error, service the unit at an ACDelco® Service Center.

E34 : Changer Door Open

E35 : Changer Magazine Empty

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

OK... now I'm thinking this:

The AM/FM button looks like it should be the button to switch between the radio and the CD player. I say this because of the sequence of the menu on the HU. I think it should go FM1, FM2, AM and then CD.

So, I am thinking that the wires for the CD player are not connected to the HU? It's getting power just fine, but no communication with the HU at all as far as recognition of any CDs.

Guess I'll slide it out and see what's hooked up back there tomorrow.

It's all I can think of. But, it does display the Err code when done cycling???

I don't know....

GM discontinued all the manuals for these cars a couple of years ago. I jumped in on a complete set before they were gone, I think they ran about $75 at the time.

You have found the codes, thats great. Now we have to figure out how to get the head unit to flash them to you. I'm digging through boxes for the books. It's no trouble, shucks I should have them handy just in case I need them anyway.

If you pull your head unit you will find 2 sets of plugs in the backside. The smaller plug that is toward the driver side of the head unit is the set of wires that control the CD changer. If for some reason it's not plugged in then you will find it hanging close by just behind the radio somewhere.
    All the 4th gens I have tinkered with have always had this set of wires connected to the head unit (unless someone had the radio out previously) and when installing a CD changer all that was needed was to simply plug in the CD changer in the back. The harness is hidden back there usually behind the side panel on all 4th gens.

Oh ya,,,to switch to the CD while listening to the head unit,,,,you need to hit the button that says "tape aux' or "cd aux" Hitting this button is what will turn on the CD player.

You can also turn on the CD player by hitting the "play button on the steering wheel.
    The name of the button and it's location on the head unit can vary slightly from year to year. Just look around for it, it could be close to the am/fm button.
    Last edited by Firebirdjones; 02-23-2009 at 05:23 PM.

Arctic White
    2000 Camaro Z28

Thanks. I'll check the HU tomorrow.

And, I've been pressing the AUX/tape button. And, did try the play button on the steering wheel too. Nothing....

But, when I pressed the AM/FM button while it was cycling, the little CD icon appeared while it went through the 12 positions.

It's got to be something simple. Or, perhaps the changer just doesn't work.

If everything is hooked up on the HU like it should be... then maybe I'll just have to give up.

I did read that all cassette Monsoon HU's worked with a Changer though. If nothing else, I'm learning

Thanks so much for your time on this. It's driving me crazy at this point

Thanks. I'll check the HU tomorrow.

And, I've been pressing the AUX/tape button. And, did try the play button on the steering wheel too. Nothing....

But, when I pressed the AM/FM button while it was cycling, the little CD icon appeared while it went through the 12 positions.

It's got to be something simple. Or, perhaps the changer just doesn't work.

If everything is hooked up on the HU like it should be... then maybe I'll just have to give up.

I did read that all cassette Monsoon HU's worked with a Changer though. If nothing else, I'm learning

Thanks so much for your time on this. It's driving me crazy at this point

It's normal for the little CD icon to flash while it's going through it's cycle. I'm sure it's something simple. If it's cycling and the icon flashes etc...then you will probably find that the CD harness is plugged into the head unit.

And yes the cassette head unit's work fine with the CD changers as well as the CD head units work with the CD changer too. I have one of each..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information