12 disc CD questions

My 02 SS came with a Monsoon stereo with a single CD player in the radio.
    Can I simply adapt a factory 12 disc CD changer that mounts in the trunk?

Reason I ask,,,my 97 Z has the 12 disc CD changer, but the radio has a cassette player. The buttons are labeled a little different to work the 12 disc changer in the back,,,in such a way that I don't think the monsoon radio in the 2002 will work a 12 disc changer, the buttons are not labeled as such.
    I have read where the 12 disc CD changer can simply be plugged into the 2002 models, and the harness is already there.
    Is this simply plug and play? If so I may just go to GM and pick up a new one. Anyone done this before? Larry.

Yes, the harness is there. All you need for your 02 is the monsoon changer and brackets to mount it.

Thanks, is the monsoon changer different from the standard radio 12 disc changer? Larry.

Dark blue metallic
    2000 TransAm

Quote Originally Posted by Firebirdjones View Post
    Thanks, is the monsoon changer different from the standard radio 12 disc changer? Larry.
    As far as I know, there's only 1 type of factory 12 CD changer: that changer will work with a cassette tape or single CD headunit as long as it's a Monsoon HU. If your car offered the 12 CD unit as an option the wiring plug will be there, taped to the harness. I got the 12 CD changer from someone on this board who had wrecked his Camaro, and I have a T/A. Just plugged it right in and it's worked from day 1. I have a single CD Monsoon HU. The CD changer mounts on the driver's side rear of the car.

SS: NBM, tan top
    1998-SS, 2010 Jetta TDI

mine has a stocker 12 CD changer w/out the Monsoon setup, its just a regular GM head unit with casette, sounds like what u got in your 97'

Yes I have the cassette head unit in the 97 along with the 12 disc changer,,,and the buttons are a little different than the head unit in the 02,,which is a cd head unit and no cd changer. So I was curious if it would work. Sounds like it should be fine though. Thanks guys.

Arctic White
    '07 Trailblazer LT

There are 2 types of factory CD changers. One has a horizontal mount for cars and the other has a vertical mount which is used in truck installations. The changers do not have an angle adjustable suspension like after-market CD changers do.

Factory CD HUs after the '99 model year have changer controls. Before then only tape deck HUs had changer controls. Some time during the '99 model year they started adding changer controls to CD HUs so not ALL '99 CD HUs will control a changer.
    The White Rascal SOLD
    Crank up the drums, crank up the bass,
    Crank up my Les Paul in your face!

Black
    02 SS #8850

So even though I don't have the factory CD changer, the harness from the back of the head unit to the trunk is already there???

Yes it should be. I removed the driver side trunk panel to verify mine,,,and sure enough it's there. Found it taped up to the convertable top harness. Larry.

black
    2001 chevrolet ss camaro

Did anybody respond to the buttons you push on the monsoon radio to get the 12 disc operate?

Thanks

BLACK
    2000 Camaro SS

Quote Originally Posted by 5camaro5 View Post
    Did anybody respond to the buttons you push on the monsoon radio to get the 12 disc operate?

Thanks
    You simply use the same CD/AUX button you use to switch from radio to the single CD player. Assuming there is a disc in the single CD HU, and you have discs in the changer, repeatedly pressing the CD/AUX button will switch back and forth between the single CD in the HU and the changer. If only one or the other has a disc(s), that's the one the CD/AUX button will go to when you switch away from radio. If you go back to radio, then back to CD, the system remembers which was last being played, and resumes the same component. The PLAY button on the steering wheel controls performs the same function.
    Last edited by mbrownin; 05-12-2011 at 03:48 PM.

Black & Blue
    '02 WS.6 / '07 Suburban

Isn't the stock 12 disc player essentially identical to a certain model Pioneer unit? Wow. This is an old thread... just noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by pajeff02 View Post
    Isn't the stock 12 disc player essentially identical to a certain model Pioneer unit? Wow. This is an old thread... just noticed that.
    Yes I ran into that recently. I was looking for a 12 disc changer and a new aftermarket head unit to install into my 72 blazer.
    Pioneer does have an 8-10- or 12 disc changer on the market, and they mimic the exact design of our 4th gen factory units. They aren't priced that bad either.

The problem I ran into though,,,no one ,,,I mean no one out there makes a new aftermarket head unit to run the stupid changers they make. That makes absolutely no sense to me what so ever They want to sell you a seperate controller to run the changer as a seperate unit
    So I had to dump the 12 disc changer idea for the blazer since I can't run it with a head unit. I ended up going with a head unit that has a USB port so I can just plug in a little Ipod thingy that stores up to 2,000 songs. Clean and simple. Thanks to my technoligical wife for coming up with that idea.
    I'm a bit technically challenged you might say

Thread Information