Black
    2000 Trans Am

$1,700??? is this right?

I went to a local audio shop today and was looking for some resonable speaker upgrades and a replacement amp, since my speakers are crackeling. Just something that sounds a little better than stock. While keeping the stock head unit.

1st off I went in and talked to a guy who checked up on the stereo and speaker system in his database. Asked me about what system was in the car. I told him it was the 500w Monsoon system. He told me that it wasnt 500 and maybe 300w at best. Then we went into the booth and he showed me 2 speakers. After I listened to his speakers and picked an amp that wasnt even 500w, but was 4 channel we went out and priced it up. It was around $700 to $800. Then I asked him what about the "other" speakers. He looked at me puzzled and then we went out to look at the car since I think he didnt believe me. I showed him the 2 in each door, the ones in the sail panels and the 4 in the trunk. When he seen it he said some ...lets just say some things that were not "professional" and started rattling stereo speaker lingo and you will need this and that, and we will do this you wont have as much in the back but you will have more upfront....

We went back inside and he priced it up now with all the speakers and the labor and everything. Now keep in mind I only wanted something a LITTLE BETTER THAN STOCK and he quoted me $1,710.00. WOW I took his card and told him I would think about it. Lets just say for that kinda money I'll just listen to the exhaust.

Black
    2000 WS6 6spd Hooker LT

For some people, $1700 would just be for one of their amps. And don't worry too much about the rating of the amp, there are many different ways to do that, a way of making a cheap amp look like it's better than another. Kinda like our Monsoon amps. It really isn't the best, but the stereo gets plenty loud for me. I added 2 10" subs with their own amp, and now I get compliments from a lot of people, they can't believe it is mostly stock.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

I would like to keep my set up stock or close to stock especially after the quote that guy gave me. I know that alot of people run really big systems but I really thought that was kinda nuts for what I was looking for. I think I'll look into buying OEM speakers from somewhere or Ebay.

I cannot justify buying replacement speakers (2) for $350.
    I really dont know much about stereos and speakers, and I havent priced them before but I really didnt expect it to be that much.

2011 Prius

Why not do it yourself or at least buy the parts online. You could get some nice ass speakers for allot less then $350 (for two).

Black
    2001 Ws6

Hey to save a lot of money you should do the work yourself, screwdriver black tape, wirecutters and your in business. I did that a few times myshelf and I was able to by higher priced items and have a sick system.

Black
    2000 Trans Am

Yeah I know its mostly just plug and play, mounting the speakers back into place and wiring them back up, its pretty simple for the most part. It shouldnt be anything I shouldnt be able to handle.

metallic pewter
    2000 Trans Am WS6

your gona wana take a little extra time to choose a balance of price and performance. No offenses to anyone but I dont like to deal with employees that haven't been in the business a while. If I'm asking for help, I want someone who wont try to cookie cut a system.try and ask to speak with the lead or bring a friend who knows whats up. Shop around and let them know they are competing for business.There are so many different combinations to set up in your vehicle. The different combos will change the sound a bit. What type of music do you roll with? do you want personal sound or monsoon "surround" type sound? thats if you feel really uncomfortable doing it yourself.

Silver
    2002 Monte Carlo SS

check out onlinecarstereo.com, they got pretty much everything possible as far as aftermarket stuff goes

if you want to keep the stock head unit get the kee audio standard speaker package. i just put it in my car and it sounds great. install is a little tricky. if you were closer id let you here mine

cost is 277 dollars

"Arrest Me Red"
    2001 trans am

if you look around and do your own install you can do it for a lot less then that. you may find a good deal on stuff that is in a old line that just wint out. i found a amp from boston the was $700 and i got it for $250.

BLACK
    Z/28 LS1

I plan on getting infinity speakers (like in the sticky) for mine.

Detailing + Design third_shift|studios's Avatar

My life is a
    Ben Stiller movie.

if there is anything I've learned about this car, it's that "professional stereo places" have not 1 clue about them. They are too used to hooking up standard 2 channel, or remove and replacing systems. But the monsoon is like rocket science to them.

That being said, check out some of the stickies-you can achieve an increase in audio pleasure by either replacing the H/U or as TooFast mentioned, adding some subs with their own amp.

Thread Information