White
    09 G8 GT

Question Who has a B&M shifter/does it suck??

I know there's a thread about the B&M vs. the Pro 5.0 in "drivetrain help" that I read thru, but its mostly WS6 guys, I want GTO opinions! Lol OK so I got in two M6 GTO's at a dealer the other day, both shifters felt reallly loose compared to mine; to the point where I thought those cars had been abused or something, and mine just hadnt?

Nope, I pulled the console and found this:

that explains why my shifter is so tight, however:

started a thread and searched on ls1gto.com and also for general B&M products, turns out a lot of them break, I guess there's a shaft inside the trans that will just randomly snap, leaving you more or less stranded??
    Has this happened to any of you guys?

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by ls1fan74 View Post
    I know there's a thread about the B&M vs. the Pro 5.0 in "drivetrain help" that I read thru, but its mostly WS6 guys, I want GTO opinions! Lol OK so I got in two M6 GTO's at a dealer the other day, both shifters felt reallly loose compared to mine; to the point where I thought those cars had been abused or something, and mine just hadnt?

Nope, I pulled the console and found this:

Click for full size

that explains why my shifter is so tight, however:

started a thread and searched on ls1gto.com and also for general B&M products, turns out a lot of them break, I guess there's a shaft inside the trans that will just randomly snap, leaving you more or less stranded??
    Has this happened to any of you guys?

I have an a4 car but I've read several times where people have had those B&M's break on them. Just food for thought.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Mine came with a B&M. A few months ago I had to replace a bolt which I had at the shop. Otherwise I am quite happy with mine.

Quick
    2005 GTO

I installed a B&M in my 05 GTO and it is smooth and crisp. I don't slam it in and beat the shit out of shifting. But I drive hard at times, while still I am not the superfly the shifter when changing gears type. Mine has about 18k on it now shifts better then new and is a good addition to my cars performance.
    BMR StressBar/Koni/Eibach,Hotchkis anti-sway bars, Full polys.energy, 18''w/Advan AD07's.BMRskid. K&NFIPK,B&Mshorty.

Don't be a dumb ass Damage Inc.'s Avatar

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

You'll find that alot of the guys on LS2GTO are leg humpers for what ever the chosen few say is best. Alot of sheep over there. I've heard of broken/backing out bolts but I'd form your/my own opinion. If you like it and haven't had problems with it don't worry about it. If the bolts do back out just put some thread locker on them.

For the price of the supposed best I'd stay with what you have. I've never had a B&M manual shifter but I have had alot of their auto shifters and never had any issues with them.

There is nothing inside the trans that going to break due to X brand shifter. You can however not properly adjust the stops and cause internal damage. The first thing to go is usually the shift forks and or syncros. They are actually very easy to rebuild.

Enjoy your B&M and don't believe everthing you read.......unless it's something I've said of course.

edit:
    One more thing. I doubt there is any diffence in the shifter base between the GTO and F-body shifters. The top part is where the difference is. The F-body has a straight one piece shaft and the GTO has the off-set two piece shaft. Which puts more leverage on the retaining bolts and base. I believe that is where the issues come from. I always use some kind of thread locker on any bolt that I don't intend to remove under normal circumstances. Just remember that there are lots of different types of TLs so get the right one for the task at had. I'd go with high strength on the shifter not permenant. You may need to remove it at some point, ie. clutch replacement.
    Last edited by Damage Inc.; 08-03-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    '06 M6 BOM: Pred, Kooks sig LT's, Magnaflow, Volant, Comp Cam 1.85, March UD. PB 12.92 @110.71 w/ 2.07 60' on street tires.
    '02 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 mods-yes
    '78 Cutlass 383sbc w/spray t56-under constuction
    '66 Baja Bug 1835cc-under constuction

|||||||||||||||||||||||||
    04M6 GTO

I'm convinced the bolts will back out eventually...
    See my post for details.
    I just installed the shifter in the picture there.
    I noticed the 2 lower retaining nuts are missing...
    That's because, no doubt, the holes didn't match up.
    I had to drill mine... Check out the post.

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

White
    09 G8 GT

nice install, good luck w/ this shifter...so far (9500 miles) its been fine for me but feedback as I said has been marginal

Brazen Orange Metalic
    '06 GTO

I was debating getting one myself. But now I've found a Hurst for $5.00 more, so I'm going with that. I've heard few negative things about their's and It just looks like a nicer piece. I'm not too crazy about the chrome stick though.

Thread Information