Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What mods to 6.0 GTO?

Well my dad has a red 6.0 GTO and im trying to talk him into modding it but he doesnt want to spend a lot of money and not get a good result... im trying to talk him into getting a cutout for it and he is thinking about it.. what other cheap mods are good for the car? thanks guys

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

do a k&N cold air kit, and full exaust, instead of a cutout, tell hime to fork out a little more for a tune, or diablosport "canned" tune
    '04 gto M6 slp ceramic coated headers,B&m sport shifter,harrop cover,3.5"aluminum BMR driveshaft, BMR axle stubs, BMR Half shafts, BMR SFC's, loudmouth2 exaust,90mm FAST T/B,Magancharger(high helix upgrade)......other misc. suspension,Cross drilled, slotted rotors. Meth Kit, spraying @ 3psi and up

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Cut out dont do shit but rattle your teeth.
    Get a dyno tune from a reputable tuner.

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

Again as always I'm saying Dyno tune as well

Get a tune to a stock GTO? how much would that cost and what would the power diffrence be?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Hell yes son...the stock tune sucks ass....a dyno tune makes a HUGE difference.

how much do the tunes normally cost?? that is a necessity seeing as my dad is somewhat of a jew lol

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

From $300-$400 bucks and the best mod hands down for a stocker.

whats it about a 10rwhp gain?

Navy Blue Metallic
    98 Formula

I'd say that and a couple more plus torque
    98 Formula M6, Hurst Billet Shifter, Zr-1 Wheels, Eibach Pro-Kit,
    BMR Lower Trailing Arms, Adjustible Panhard Bar

Custom Tune with Speed Density, 918's, Manly Pushrods
    400 Cam (.226/.226 .591/.591),Ported oil Pump
    Pacesetter LT's/ORY, Magnaflow Catback.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    whats it about a 10rwhp gain?
    On the LS2's I've seen 25-35RWHP gains.....but the RWTQ and response is fantastic versus stock.

silver
    2004 gto

sarge how is HP tuners i saw in some other thread that u said something about them becuz id like to get one and i have a full exhaust now and soon going to put a AEM CAI.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

HP Tuners is not a "canned" tune tool. It provides the best program to acess tables ....but you must know what your doing or you could waste your motor quick. I prefer a tuner utilizing HPTuners over LSEdit anyday.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    Well my dad has a red 6.0 GTO and im trying to talk him into modding it but he doesnt want to spend a lot of money and not get a good result... im trying to talk him into getting a cutout for it and he is thinking about it.. what other cheap mods are good for the car? thanks guys
    A cutout will cause it to loose power and just add noise. The stock manifolds on the LS2 are not the average if that's what your thinking. They actually flow VERY well. That is one of the ways they got the #'s up for the LS2 cars by redesigning the manifold to a "thin cast" high flow manifold. I was going LOW 11's with the stock manifold,cats,cam,and convertor. If anything put a pair of mufflers on it and get rid of the resonator.
    Get a quality cold air kit and a real tune from a good tuner. Everybody is always worried about #'s but peak #'s aint SHIT!! Unless you have a ProStock car which none of use do.

Quickly let's say you only gain 15 hp peak with this tune. Woopty due....
    But what you don't realize is that the hole power curve is drastically changed.
    As in at 3200-5000 it has gained 35 hp. But that peak # that soooo many are always looking for is only 15.
    That was just a generic rationalization for you to get the point.

Have him buy a pair of real tires for the back of it also so it can hook up and not just spin.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

doesn'tplaywellwithothers superchargedblackgto's Avatar

Black
    2004 GTO

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    HP Tuners is not a "canned" tune tool. It provides the best program to acess tables ....but you must know what your doing or you could waste your motor quick. I prefer a tuner utilizing HPTuners over LSEdit anyday.
    This is true, U have to read alot and is a pretty complicated program, got to spend time learning about it. Well worth the hp gains if your willing to do the research......Im lazy and would rather pay for it...>LOL...there is my .02 worth, but if you got the time to devote to it, its the way to go......I have 2 kids under 4 not enough time in the day.

1900 Chevy

My opinion on a stock car dyno tune: They will probably heat soak the crap out of your car and play trickery with the computer to show a slight loss..lets say, 305-315HP. Then they will "sell" you the tune.......lets not kid our selves here, they have a product to sell and not many LS-cars are lining up at the door with money in hand everyday..........anyway, after the miraculous "tune" you will probably see you normal 330-350HP (just a figure Im using, no guarantees). The big difference here is they will remove Torque Management from the system (look it up), and your "butt dyno" will think your car all of a sudden grew a new set of huge balls. All in all, a dyno tune on a DEAD STOCK car may yield 2-5HP at MOST from a real world no BS baseline run. Tweaking a few fuel and air variables while up against the wall of stock components will NOT give you some ultra amazing HP gain like is always advertised..............This is my opinion.........

Flame on.

Last edited by CoolAid; 09-10-2007 at 07:23 PM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Are you retarded?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Are you retarded?
    I was waiting for you to read that and respond.

Black
    1999 TA WS.6

Quote Originally Posted by CoolAid View Post
    My opinion on a stock car dyno tune: They will probably heat soak the crap out of your car and play trickery with the computer to show a slight loss..lets say, 305-315HP. Then they will "sell" you the tune.......lets not kid our selves here, they have a product to sell and not many LS-cars are lining up at the door with money in hand everyday..........anyway, after the miraculous "tune" you will probably see you normal 330-350HP (just a figure Im using, no guarantees). The big difference here is they will remove Torque Management from the system (look it up), and your "butt dyno" will think your car all of a sudden grew a new set of huge balls. All in all, a dyno tune on a DEAD STOCK car may yield 2-5HP at MOST from a real world no BS baseline run. Tweaking a few fuel and air variables while up against the wall of stock components will NOT give you some ultra amazing HP gain like is always advertised..............This is my opinion.........

Flame on.

Are you kidding? I dont even own a Goat and I kno that is completely un-true. Boo to the GTO's factory tunes, and on your opinion on dino tunes.

1900 Chevy

Prove me wrong. Show me charts from a BONE STOCK GTO and the same BONE STOCK GTO with a dyno tune..............go ahead.......back your s*** up. Or just keep the name-calling going. 'cause that seems to be more credible on this site then actual data and facts.

Thread Information