black
    2004 gto

Talking what exactly is a m6

what is a m6 gto ??? im new to the ls1 world i know a little but not much so someone school meee

04 Cobra 'vert - M6 mysti
    02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

M6 is shorthand for a manual 6-speed. As opposed to an A4 automatic 4-speed. Don't worry, took me a while to get that as well. Kept thinking it was some sub-model identifier...

black
    2004 gto

yea me too lol thanks for clearing that up for me but is it better to have a m6 or a4

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by burnsxxxls1 View Post
    yea me too lol thanks for clearing that up for me but is it better to have a m6 or a4
    It mostly depends on what you want. Many people prefer the m6 for the 'feel' of it. My last TA was an m6 and I certainly loved it. Also, you'll get better mileage with an M6 than an A4, escpecially on the highway.

But for the track, I understand that an automatic can be better, as it's more consistent in its shifting. My current TA is an A4, and maybe it's just because I am getting older, but it's nice to just be able to drive without constantly shifting, especially in stop and go traffic.

I think you might have to take a little better care of an automatic transmission to make it last. Change the fluid at the right intervals, maybe add a cooler, or a shift kit and tune shift settings.

But of course on the M6 the clutch will go sooner or later as well, so they probably balance out.

black
    2004 gto

what kind of shift kit would be the best and how hard are they to install cause me and my bro rebuilt the trans in a 1999 explorer took a week tho lol

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

Quote Originally Posted by burnsxxxls1 View Post
    what kind of shift kit would be the best and how hard are they to install cause me and my bro rebuilt the trans in a 1999 explorer took a week tho lol
    I have no idea, really. I'm still new to driving an automatic and have just started researching that myself. I know the Transgo shift kit seems popular...

PS, but I'm not really sure if a shift kit lends towards longevity or merely drivability. I *think* it lends towards longevity, but perhaps someone else will chime in on that point..

black
    2004 gto

yea i think thats my big problem is trans i head 1999 rustang gt auto full bolt-ons and the trans lasted like 6 months after i installed new cams and lifters sold it now drive a beast of a car lol hope trans last a while might invest in the trans kit it isnt that much money

02 WS6 coupe - A4 red

yeah stock automatic trannys are only good to x horsepower. On the mustang you likely exceeded that. If you go the automatic route again, I recommend searching for the shift kit, transmission cooler, and transmission fluid first. I do know that heat is what ultimately kills the tranny. Good fluid, a good cooler, regular changing of the fluid will help it last longer for sure.

As far as handling extra horsepower, I'm a noob there. I know for TAs many people will upgrade from the 4160 to a 4180 or other better transmission. I don't know if there are intermediate options to build up the stock tranny to handle the extra hps, or if replacing is the only option. But I'm sure there's info out there for that as well...

That's about all I know. Good luck whichever way you go!

I f@#ked the prom queen RoadWrath04's Avatar

drivers' morale daily.
    Destroying Mustang-

check out transgo shiftkits for a gto...my buddy is big on trans work and stalls and stuff, swears by them>>>

Barbados Blue
    2004 GTO

Hey, I've got an A4 GTO and love it. I kind of wish I would have bought the M6, but I got tired of waiting to find one because I wanted to buy one locally. I had an M6 Firebird Forumla before this car and really loved it. I live near Austin Texas, so there is some traffic to deal with and the automatic is nice to have in stop in go traffic. On the highway the M6 will definitely get better mileage, but I hardly ever take long trips. 20 miles to and from work daily driver.

Are you in the market for one?

black
    2004 gto

i currently own a 04 gto a4 blk on blk love it wouldnt trade it for the world lol so is thier a place were they a hold big meets for the ls1 and ls2????

Thread Information