Unbolting my exahust?

My friend wants me to unbolt my exauhst to see how it sounds. If i do it would just be for like a day or a couple minutes just to see how it sounds.. Is there any serious danger to doing this?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Unbolt it from where?

after the cats and resonator but before the muffler.

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I can take a video of mine if you'd like.....been running it that way for months. I'm actually not a big fan of the sound at all and believe it or not the car feels slower with them off but I'm waiting to see exactly what I want to do with the exhaust before putting it back on. It's not real loud. Drones bad though and just doesn't sound good in general to me. I have people tell me they like the way it sounds but they probably wouldn't know a good sounding car if they heard it.
    That's my opinion. Try it yourself and see what you think. Easy to take off and put back on. I might actually like mine if I could at least put some turn downs on it to cut down on the drone but I don't want to butcher the factory flanges so I can put it back together at some point.

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

the only thing it will hurt is your ears

ya i just did it, i like the way it sounds but like you said, too much droning.. it did fel slower to me, but i looked down at my speedo and was like wow, it got up there fast. idk if im gonna keep it or not.

Do the cops fuck with you a all?

Black
    2014 Camaro 1LS

get a cut-out you will love it

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by blk-ws6 View Post
    ya i just did it, i like the way it sounds but like you said, too much droning.. it did fel slower to me, but i looked down at my speedo and was like wow, it got up there fast. idk if im gonna keep it or not.

Do the cops fuck with you a all?
    nope, it's not really that loud outside the car......it's inside the car where it's loud. You'll get used to the drone after a little while but it's still there. I think at wot it sounds like shit to me. There's no definition to the sound, it's just loud.

Qucik Silver Metalic
    2004 GTO - M6

Also, these motors are design with specific parameters. GM has the best R & D department in the world.

The cats (which are right underneath you) and exhaust system creat a specific amount back pressure pressure for driveability, hp & torque. Removing anything post the cats will affect performance if you haven't replaced it or work on the intake side.

There is balance between intake and exhaust - you can't be constipated, nor you can't have the $hits either as you can't build pressure...

You won't damage it, but you'll not see an improvement in performance.
    The PCM will take timing out of the motor because it won't know why the exhaust has been freed up so much

the systems are monitor everything - if you don't buckle your seat belt and get into an accident the body unit knows and you can't sue GM for harm.
    Last edited by The Silver Goat; 07-12-2008 at 05:09 AM.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Just loud as hell and you lose power ( torque)...

Phantom Black Metalic
    2005 GTO

def slow down the car as the computer pulls timing fuel etc when it does not get what it wants,save yourself the hassel,get yourself a good exhaust,heads ,cam, tune. have a lot more fun as it will sound the way you want all the time.

I went to Playboy Mansion FantaZGuy28's Avatar

YJ
    04 GTO M6

Ive had my gf drive my GTO past me and I was in her car on the freeway and its really not that loud outside the car. I dumped my exhaust right before the rear end.

Quote Originally Posted by The Silver Goat View Post
    Also, these motors are design with specific parameters. GM has the best R & D department in the world.

The cats (which are right underneath you) and exhaust system creat a specific amount back pressure pressure for driveability, hp & torque. Removing anything post the cats will affect performance if you haven't replaced it or work on the intake side.

There is balance between intake and exhaust - you can't be constipated, nor you can't have the $hits either as you can't build pressure...

You won't damage it, but you'll not see an improvement in performance.
    The PCM will take timing out of the motor because it won't know why the exhaust has been freed up so much

the systems are monitor everything - if you don't buckle your seat belt and get into an accident the body unit knows and you can't sue GM for harm.

I can always get it tuned and performance would be back to normal if not more than stock right??

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    Just loud as hell and you lose power ( torque)...
    Very True!!!!

Shit there is also a usually a HP loss unless a experienced tuner has re-tuned it for the opening of the exhaust. Even then the gain is usually in a VERY small rpm window and losses are seen EVERY where else.

Is funny how many think there cars are faster because they are louder.
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

Sure you can tune for it.....but these kids want LOUD and lose all their torque......and cannot understand it....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

I would like to dyno one before and after removing the exhaust. I would say there's a fairly substantial difference. It was enough that I noticed it. The car just doesn't have the balls it had with full exhaust on it. I've been debating back and forth whether to put mine back under it or not and will probably end up doing that. I would like to at least get a catless mids before doing that though. I don't want to put it all back under there and then have to pull it all back out again. I've also been to lazy to go get gaskets for the mid to catback flanges. My stock gaskets aren't reusable. It's on the list of things to do. I'll get to it about December probably.

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

I can tell you....we lost 38 ft lbs of RWTQ by unbolting the exhaust for shits and giggles fucking around at the shop....

98 Formula
    06 duramax

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge View Post
    I can tell you....we lost 38 ft lbs of RWTQ by unbolting the exhaust for shits and giggles fucking around at the shop....
    I don't doubt that number one bit. I may throw mine back under there this week. My bro is doing the exhaust all the way back on his soon. I was planning on just stealing his stock stuff off his 06 as payment for doing the work for him. I like the sound of his 06 stock.

Nero
    2006 gto

The 06 stock exhaust note is extremely pleasing to my ears. I always get thumbs up when I revv at stoplights, and it definitely sounds better than my neighbor with the Cobra w/full exhaust.

+1 on the cutout...

04 GTO QuickSilver
    95 MarkVIII wifey white

I took my stocker off (the day I was installing my magnaflow) and rode around a little. I live in a city that puts up signs about 'No loud Radios or Exhaust' and from in the car,it was obnoxiously loud. I grannied it back home just praying that the motor jock cop wasn't around. I know that I definetly lost lots of tourqe with it off.

Thread Information