Transmission Removal Tips

Any tips to make this easier? I have already turned a simple clucth bleeding into a weekend project by dropping a 11mm deepwell socket into the transmission. I'm going to try a 24" flexible magnet before dropping the tranny but something is telling me this thing is not coming out as easy as it fell in.

hugger orange

For the upper bell housing bolts=2 foot extension, two 6" extensions () gives you a slight bow and flex), take a universial joint and loosely wrap a peice of masking tape around it to stiffen it, then on the end of that a short 6 point socket......go in from behind the tail shaft up to the bell bolts, this makes it VERY easy

Sunset Orange Metalic
    2001 Camaro SS

Remove the starter and try from there

Quote Originally Posted by tatertot91 View Post
    Remove the starter and try from there

Didn't really think about that. I will give the flexible magnet and starter a try first.

Thanks for the suggestion about the extensions and tape Mark. I'm hoping to avoid this but if not I'm sure this will help. If I have to drop it I'm going to put the speed bleeder in while I have it out.

hugger orange

Good luck man! If it makes you feel any better I dropped the little oil tube bolt for the oil pump down into the oil pan....twice lol 1st time I got it out with a pen magnet, same with the second time, BUT then I dropped the socket in there and had to pull the pan to get it.....to pull the pan I had to drop the whole front suspension lol

hugger orange

Also there is a sheetmetal plug in the automatic bell housing you might be able to pop that out and get it from there

Quote Originally Posted by mark21742 View Post
    Good luck man! If it makes you feel any better I dropped the little oil tube bolt for the oil pump down into the oil pan....twice lol 1st time I got it out with a pen magnet, same with the second time, BUT then I dropped the socket in there and had to pull the pan to get it.....to pull the pan I had to drop the whole front suspension lol
    I'm ok with it. At first I was in disbelief that it was even possible to do this, such a bad design. The bottom line is I messed up so I will take my lumps. I have my 08 HD road glide to get around on and when I need a car my GF lets me use her 2011 WRX so it could be worse.

11 years of bangin gears cammed goat's Avatar

Phantom Black Metallic
    2004 GTO M6

Hopefully the starter idea works.

hugger orange

At the worst with regular hand tools you can have the tranny out in a half hour

Tried the starter didn't work. Just can't get the magnet in at the right angle to grab it. Tranny is coming out this weekend and I'm installing a speed bleeder. I have a feeling there is more to my hydraulic issue than just bleeding the clutch. I know the MC is the weak link but what if anything can I do with the tranny out to make sure it's not a slave issue? I'm really tired of hydraulic issues with these damn LS cars you would think GM would put an adequate system on a cars with 350+HP. My GTO has 12k miles on it! I may just replace the MC with a tick unit while I'm at it haven't decided yet.

Thread Information