Thread: transcooler

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

transcooler

I was in a middle of installing B & M transcooler but the fitting to the inlet line & to the radiator fitting is too small. The dealer nor Napa has a size specification for the fitting. Does anyone know size of the male & female fittings to the inlet trans cooler line to 04 GTO A/T ?

Retired Outlaw Sum Bitch

-6 AN fitting for me.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

Pardon me for my ignorance, I am new to this -6 is the size ? And I can get this from any autoparts store ?

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

-6 is a AN size. If you don't have access to a speed shop maybe you'll have a custom motor cycle shop that will be able to help you with fittings. If not Summit or Jegs.
    The AN thread is a particular type of fitting used to connect flexible hoses and rigid metal tubing that carry fluid. It is a US military-derived specification stemming from a joint standard agreed upon by the Air Force and Navy, hence AN.

AN sizes range from -2 (dash two) to -32 in irregular steps, with each step equating to the OD (outside diameter) of the tubing in 1/16" increments. Therefore, a -8 AN size would be equal to 1/2" OD tube (8 x 1/16 = 1/2). However, this system does not specify the ID (inside diameter) of the tubing because the tube wall can vary in thickness. Each AN size also uses its own standard thread size.

AN fittings are a flare fitting, using 37° flared tubing to form a metal-metal seal. They are similar to other 37° flared fittings, such as JIC fittings, which is their industrial variant. The two are interchangeable in theory, though this is typically not recommended due to the exacting specifications and demands of the aerospace industry. The differences between them relate to thread class (how tight a fit the threads are) and the metals used.

Note that 37° AN and 45° SAE fittings and tooling are not interchangible due to the different flaring angles. Mixing them can cause leakage at the flare

Size comparison
    AN Size - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 - 6 - 8 - 10 - 12 - 16 - 20 - 24 - 28 - 32
    Tube OD 1/8" 3/16" 1/4" 5/16" 3/8" 1/2" 5/8" 3/4" 1" 1-1/4" 1-1/2" 1-3/4" 2"
    SAE Thread Size 5/16-24 3/8-24 7/16-20 1/2-20 9/16-18 3/4-16 7/8-14 1-1/16-12 1-5/16-12 1-5/8-12 1-7/8-12 2-1/4-12 2-1/2-12
    Pipe Thread Size (NPS) 1/8-27 1/4-18 3/8-18 1/2-14 3/4-14
    Don't be afraid of the bottle!!! Be afraid of your tune!!!

rednari
    Good write up LS2. The system was established to keep standard sized fittings while increasing the tubing diameter for an application which requires more pressure.

It was good to indicate the system's nomenclature too, to wit: AN meaning Army-Navy. There are people who do not know, although they may have mailed dozens of letters to serviceman, that APO stands for Army Post Office as to distinguish it from the regular USPS. The Army delivers the mail to all the armed services except for the Coast Gaurd, which has its own postal service under the Treasury Dept.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

Quote Originally Posted by rednari View Post
    Good write up LS2. The system was established to keep standard sized fittings while increasing the tubing diameter for an application which requires more pressure.

It was good to indicate the system's nomenclature too, to wit: AN meaning Army-Navy. There are people who do not know, although they may have mailed dozens of letters to serviceman, that APO stands for Army Post Office as to distinguish it from the regular USPS. The Army delivers the mail to all the armed services except for the Coast Gaurd, which has its own postal service under the Treasury Dept.
    Thanks the best is how many cars I get from customers that have caked on SPT or some other thread sealant on the fittings. Sorry but they usually cause so many more problems with all that excess goop.Not to mention how bad it looks to people that know you don't use sealant on that style of fitting.
    I've heard some pretty interesting guesses over the years about what the A/N stands for too.

o4goatman

red
    04 gto A/T

Great, thanks for that explanation. Since u seem sooo knowledgeable can u tell me this. Can I mount the transcooler back facing front ? It is easier to mount this way on my goat. I can mount it on the power steering cooler mount bkt.

Silver
    05 Goat SMASHED

As long as it has good air flow it doesn't matter weather it's sideways or which way..... Just make sure it has a decent amount of air flow and depending on how you mount it remember heat rises.

Thread Information